House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Did Someone Actually Use The Term

Renter class is not necessarily derogatory - it could mean those very clever STR people who are sitting back counting their huge profits from selling up in 2003.

I'm sure we all know one, they had that smug look on their faces.

We keep getting letters through our letter box from EA's saying "Mr & Mrs X are looking for a house in your road and they have 25% deposit and are sitting in rented accomodation................" ooh we feel sooooooooo sorry for them. Time to add 10% on te hasking price again.

I noticed the expression in a previous thread, but I did not get the impression that it was intended as a slur.

In much of Europe the vast majority of people rent, and I do not think they are viewed as being badly off.

Is it not inevitable that the UK will become similar, as it getting ever more difficult for FTB to own their own home?

I noticed the expression in a previous thread, but I did not get the impression that it was intended as a slur.

In much of Europe the vast majority of people rent, and I do not think they are viewed as being badly off.

Is it not inevitable that the UK will become similar, as it getting ever more difficult for FTB to own their own home?

I dunno why you are getting offended!

The 'rentier class' is a phase which was often used by J.M.Keynes, (Gordan Browns favorite economist) to describe the landlords and businessmen who accrue large unearned income via owning resources of fixed supply, which eats into the real economic income of others.

With mass immigration there is unlimited demand and fixed supply. In europe the vast majority of people do not rent - thats a myth. Only in germany do people currently rent in large numbers.

However, at the turn of the century most people rented from landlords, as credit was more expensive for them with insecure jobs and employment, sickness etc.., yet credit for landlords who owned property was cheap.

Edited by brainclamp

I don't think they see themselves as a different 'class' though.

And it's not inevitable that the UK will become 'similar' as people in other countries rent by choice, not by necessity. Different kettle of renters.

I don't think they see themselves as a different 'class' though.

And it's not inevitable that the UK will become 'similar' as people in other countries rent by choice, not by necessity. Different kettle of renters.

People in the UK don;t rent 'by choice'. They cannot afford to buy!

With mass immigration creating unlimited demand and fixed supply its a no brainer.

Edited by brainclamp

With mass immigration creating unlimited demand and fixed supply its a no brainer.

Disagree

That poll shows 83% of people on HPC earn over 20k and 45% over 40k and 20% over 60k.

Of course they can afford to buy somewhere. They just choose not to.

Edited by Given Up

I think of class in the same way as a scientist, in an attempt to understand something they form hierarchies,

orders, groups and classes of things.

Take the term working class, if you have to earn a wage to live, you have to work, therefore you are

of a group or class of people that have to work and fall into that class.

A lot of people dont consider themselves working class but they are wether they like it or not.

Disagree

That poll shows 83% of people on HPC earn over 20k and 45% over 40k and 20% over 60k.

Of course they can afford to buy somewhere. They just choose not to.

I don't think HPC forum readers are a good cross-section. The fact that we sit around all day posting on an internet forum must tell you that.

Edited by Nijo

I don't think HPC forum readers are a good cross-section. The fact that we can sit around all day posting on an internet forum must tell you that.

Well they are supposed to be the poor priced out FTB's as bulls get banned eventaully.

Well they are supposed to be the poor priced out FTB's as bulls get banned eventaully.

I don't think we're 'supposed' to be anything. We're just not a good sample, that's all I'm saying.

Not to get into yet another immigration debate, but I thought muttley made a good point on another thread about this - in recent years HPI has been global and has happened in countries with very different situations with regard to immigration.

To me that's a pretty big clue that the whole immigration thing is at most a very small part of the recent HPI.

I don't think we're 'supposed' to be anything. We're just not a good sample, that's all I'm saying.

I think the HPC residenta are a good sample because there does seem to be a high proportion of renters. Waiting .................. more and more impatiently

WTF does that mean you *****? :angry:

Hate to throw a spanner in the works guys but 'Spring' got the term completely wrong.

'Rentier' = A rentier is a person who lives on the income from property, bond interest, or other investment and is not personally involved in its operation. According to Melvyn Bragg, Goethe, the archetypal but misundertood German poet, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and was thus enabled to live as a 'rentier'.

Theres also the term "Rentier State"

The theory of the “rentier state” says that countries that receive substantial amounts of oil revenues from the outside world on a regular basis tend to become autonomous from their societies, unaccountable to their citizens, and autocratic. The theory is used to help explain why Iran, the Gulf States, many African states ( Nigeria, Gabon) and other countries (e.g., Netherlands) with abundant resource wealth perform less well than their resource-poor counterparts. How does this happen, according to the rentier state theory? The short answer, according to Yates, is that a rentier state and rentier economy lead to a rentier mentality, which dooms a country’s economy and long-term prospects.

So, a rentier in this context is quite the opposite - its actually a BTL'er sitting back living off the proceeds!!!!

I think the HPC residenta are a good sample because there does seem to be a high proportion of renters. Waiting .................. more and more impatiently

Maybe you should make a poll. :)

I think last time it came out 45% FTB, 35% STR, 10% OO, 10% Other, but that was a while back (and a small sample). Perhaps the demographic has changed.

Hate to throw a spanner in the works guys but 'Spring' got the term completely wrong.

'Rentier' = A rentier is a person who lives on the income from property, bond interest, or other investment and is not personally involved in its operation. According to Melvyn Bragg, Goethe, the archetypal but misundertood German poet, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and was thus enabled to live as a 'rentier'.

Theres also the term "Rentier State"

The theory of the “rentier state” says that countries that receive substantial amounts of oil revenues from the outside world on a regular basis tend to become autonomous from their societies, unaccountable to their citizens, and autocratic. The theory is used to help explain why Iran, the Gulf States, many African states ( Nigeria, Gabon) and other countries (e.g., Netherlands) with abundant resource wealth perform less well than their resource-poor counterparts. How does this happen, according to the rentier state theory? The short answer, according to Yates, is that a rentier state and rentier economy lead to a rentier mentality, which dooms a country’s economy and long-term prospects.

So, a rentier in this context is quite the opposite - its actually a BTL'er sitting back living off the proceeds!!!!

HO HO HO

It's a typo for gawd's sake!

witty riposte though

That description got up my nose Fred.."the rentier class" unfukcin believable

There is nothing to be upset about Converted Lurker. I decided to enter a new 'catch phaze concept' into social lexicon, and its working - see my quote, let me gloat (boom, boom!).

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...ndpost&p=338578

I am

The New Rentier Class.

Now just watch that phraze propagate in the media over the next few months. Someone might even right a PhD. But YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST!

Spring is in the Air is just the first in a long line of suckers who will fall hook line and sinker for another w@nky theory by jumping onto my 'paradigm'. Its simply using propaganda in the most effective and subversive form (devious and sneaky - I've chucked off the phraze in one liner responses a couple of times to establish the repetition and familiarity factor :ph34r: ).

told ya so. told ya so :lol::lol::P

EDIT: and when other people start claiming the concept after the fact you know that you have succeeded!

Edited by Elizabeth

"Rentier Class" - is historically the people who live off rents. Generally taken to be owners of property who don't get involved and employ agents or landlords to manage land or buildings on their behalf.