House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Killer Bunny

Keep It Real

If there's one thing to know about the upcoming crash and all the devastation it will bring,

if you successfully ride the downturn, keep it very close to your chest. The sheeple will want someone to blame. They'll start with the government then the immigrants then those who are still solvent and indeed potentially prospering.

This is the 21st century not the 19th. Sheeple will not hold back.

Of course they will not accept that they themselves were to blame and their plastic (brains).

Keep schtum! Never gloat. Enjoy but don't show it.

I even asked Mrs FP yesterday if I'll be able to laugh out loud at home. (She said I would be able to.)

Guest Cletus VanDamme

If there's one thing to know about the upcoming crash and all the devastation it will bring,

if you successfully ride the downturn, keep it very close to your chest. The sheeple will want someone to blame. They'll start with the government then the immigrants then those who are still solvent and indeed potentially prospering.

Of course they will not accept that they themselves were to blame and their plastic (brains).

I even asked Mrs FP yesterday if I'll be able to laugh out loud at home. (She said I would be able to.)

According to IMUpNorth and Spring in the Air, we're going to have a very long wait:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=28169

Unless of course, we have an Albania-style pyramid collapse.

Personally, I'm waiting till this time next year. If prices are still going up, I'm giving up. Official. No crash. HPC will then be renamed 'House Price Soft Landing' or will be consigned to the history books as a nice idea that didn't take off!

I can see this being the case, unfortunately. Is there a market for body guards?

That's one of the problems not surfing with the herb... Just don't get cornered!

Is there historical precedent for these actions-of-the-sheeple?

Nazi Germany?

People do get a bit upset when their lives are destroyed by government mismanagement. Frankly, I doubt this will all end with hugs and kisses.

Perhaps there'll be a market for sending out fake bank demands to the offices of people who are well off, so their colleagues think they're suffering too. Or you could even employ an actor to pretend to be a bank manager who bursts into your office wearing a bowler hat demanding payment by close of business and making threats.

Financial Planner - is there any reason why you have chosen this particular time to raise this point?

I was mainly thinking UK 1990-1995.

Conservative government, cheap houses, still plenty of jobs at decent salaries in real industries rather than EAs and coffee-flinging: why would people have rioted back then?

This recession will make the last one look like a boom.

There is truth in what you say but I wont be laughing, it will cause hardship for many including those that had nothing to do with the housing market. As the economy shrinks and people start to look more inward there will be an increase in violence, crime in general, higher suicide rates, and a generally more depressed angry populas, which will make life worse for all.

Early indicators

Government running out of money for essential services

Extreme increase in prices for essential services/goods

Shift to extreme political parties (probably right wing)

The funny (strange) thing is that the inward looking, depression, anger etc... etc... is seen a lot on this site, and is probably why a lot of particularly young people come here:

NO FUTURE JUST BECAUSE I WAS BORN IN 1985.

Early indicators

Gotta keep me eyes peeled for them indicators..... nope cant see any.

I'm going to watch TV, now if I can just get that damned elephant off the sofa.........

There is truth in what you say but I wont be laughing, it will cause hardship for many including those that had nothing to do with the housing market. As the economy shrinks and people start to look more inward there will be an increase in violence, crime in general, higher suicide rates, and a generally more depressed angry populas, which will make life worse for all.

Early indicators

Well the shift to the right appears to the happening if you listen to this weeks reports - tho the radio was backing that up. It would be interesting to see a sky 'press red button now' poll.

Suicide rates are likely to rise due them hitting recent low http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4905964.stm (till year end 2004).

Haven't we already had the extreme increasing in essentials?? Gas/electric??

Any one got the latest - unspun crime figures??

Guest Winners and Losers

Is buying a kilo of skunk weed and locking the doors your approach? :D

My postal address is..... Oh, off topic. :blink:

Dont be sad. I'm almost 10 years older and still in the same boat. My fault for getting myself educated instead of becoming a manual labourer I guess........

FP is right I reckon. This could get very nasty indeed. People will look for scapegoats. This site will get shed loads of hate mail.

Sadly, I am not sure many of us will have time to distance ourselves from our opinons. When it all finally kicks off, I think it could get nasty pretty quickly - our predictions of a HPC might still be ringing in people's ears.

Keep down debt low and skills and savings high...

Any one got the latest - unspun crime figures??

No such thing as "unspun" crime figures unfortunately.

According to the British Crime Survey, the more traditional forms of crime are low. These include things such as Burglary and Vehicle Crime. Unfortunately they dont measure crime where the victim is under 16.

The police' figures show that most crime is down but that "violent" or street crime is rising. The reason for this being that in the past, people wouldnt walk around with £2000 worth of electronic goodies on them. These days people see nothing wrong with walking around with a £1000 laptop, £300 mp3 player and £700 latest-3g-photo-video-tv-mix-a-pink-martini mobile phone..... and then wonder why they got robbed!

The police' figures show that most crime is down but that "violent" or street crime is rising. The reason for this being that in the past, people wouldnt walk around with £2000 worth of electronic goodies on them.

No, the reason is that the Police now only take an interest in offences that can generate revenue with a camera snap and a ticket in the post. Meanwhile, they sit around getting obese waiting for their early retirement on final salary pensions. Heaven forbid they should actually have to get out there and feel collars in the traditional manner!

I must say when I realised what was happening my reaction to was to spread the word and save as many people as I could but they aren't interested in being saved so whilst I shall get no pleasure from their demise, I shall get a house.

Exactly. The first generation in decades -- if not centuries -- with little to look forward to but a lower standard of living than their parents.

At least the 70s kids are split between the group who bought houses when they were cheap and the group who didn't. The 80s kids had little chance to 'get on the ladder' before their parents pulled it up behind them.

No, the reason is that the Police now only take an interest in offences that can generate revenue with a camera snap and a ticket in the post. Meanwhile, they sit around getting obese waiting for their early retirement on final salary pensions. Heaven forbid they should actually have to get out there and feel collars in the traditional manner!

And your proof for this is what exactly?

If the Police are just sitting on their arses, why are the jails overcrowded? I think the police do an absolutely excellent job under the worst conditions - I doubt you could do their job mate.

A quick google search:

http://www.met.police.uk/foi/pdfs/how_are_...bruary_2005.pdf

Shows just one borough in london produced 341 arrests in Feb alone.

Let me guess- these were all speeding motorists or grannies who didnt pay their council tax?

Edited by jonewer

If the Police are just sitting on their arses, why are the jails overcrowded?

Given that the only time I ever see police around here is sitting at the side of the road looking for cars with expired tax disks, I'd guess they're full of 'tax evaders'.

Odd, really: they can find a dozen cops to sit around looking for missing tax disks, but get burgled and they're too busy to do anything other than give you a crime number.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Odd, really: they can find a dozen cops to sit around looking for missing tax disks, but get burgled and they're too busy to do anything other than give you a crime number.

Of course. People are plentiful and can be easily replaced if stabbed/shot/run over, but to threaten precious government tax revenue, now that is dangerously close to treason and must be dealt with accordingly.

I doubt you could do their job mate.

I only wish they would do their job.