House Price Crash Forum
LargelyIgnorant

Organised Mass Summer Squat/festival

Did a small bit of research into land ownership and have realised who the 'landlord class' actually are (here's a clue: they don't owe anything to banks). From http://www.newstatesman.com/200409200005

• Duke of Buccleuch: Acreage: 270,900
  • Estate of Atholl dukedom: Acreage: 147,000
  • Duchy of Cornwall: Acreage: 141,000
  • Duke of Northumberland: Acreage: 132,000
  • Duke of Westminster(excl London) Acreage: 129,000

This book: http://*******.com/ln2kw is the source (have just ordered it)

The New Statesman article contains a simple, but brilliant, idea:

It is time for the ordinary homeowner to know that he or she is being cheated into believing that land is scarce, and that the government, with its stipulations that new housebuilding programmes should be carried out on brownfield rather than on greenfield sites, is culpable in this conspiracy of ignorance.
So why isn't land reform a more urgent matter? Why is the Labour government silent on the issue? One isn't advocating Robert Mugabe-style land grabs, though it would be fascinating to observe how the nation might respond to the simultaneous invasion of country estates by thousands of well-drilled and motivated squatters.

Spring is on its way - Wouldn't a summer squat or 'festival of land ownership' be an amazing thing? A well organised, good natured, fun summer squatting event would be something to behold. Think of how much it would raise public awareness!

I'm fairly certain it is extremely hard to prosecute anyone for trespass as long as they don't do any damage to persons or property. This would need more research.

Don't suppose that anyone here knows of a group of people that may be interested in organising / participating in such an event?

Guest horace

The New Statesman article contains a simple, but brilliant, idea:

Spring is on its way - Wouldn't a summer squat or 'festival of land ownership' be an amazing thing? A well organised, good natured, fun summer squatting event would be something to behold. Think of how much it would raise public awareness!

.... and don`t forget the `free love`, 1960`s style. Make love not war.

h ;)

.... and don`t forget the `free love`, 1960`s style. Make love not war.

:D Sounds great!

Can anyone think of a better method of ensuring press coverage? Maybe even small coordinated groups on each of the top 5 landowners' vast (taxpayer subsidised) estates.

The BBC are not uninterested in this - there was a programme about this on radio 4 a while back - Was (unsuccessfully) looking for it and came across a reference to a BBC2 TV programme: http://*******.com/rjntw - did anyone see it?

The facts behind land ownership in the UK are astonishing when you look into it. This could be a method of doing something about how this market fix is ruining out country, and people's lives, as Marina suggests.

Don't suppose Fubra would be interested in helping organise something like this as a marketing opportunity? HPCers may not be numerous enough on their own, but there are plenty of lefty/hippy organisations that would be up for it... It'd be much more fun than a pub meet!

Duke of Buccleuch: Acreage: 270,900

Estate of Atholl dukedom: Acreage: 147,000

Duchy of Cornwall: Acreage: 141,000

Duke of Northumberland: Acreage: 132,000

Duke of Westminster(excl London) Acreage: 129,000

That's 1183 square miles. The UK and NI is 94,500 sq miles.

So they own 1.25%. Why pick on them?

Would you like them to build on it all?

However, it is a fact that the 'value' of a house depends nearly entirely on the 'value' of the land it stands on. and relaxing restrictions on greenbelt would certaily change things. The trouble is that this would just mean a rush by the better-off to buy up sites for their rural escape, and inevitable result of more car journeys, more roads........

That's 1183 square miles. The UK and NI is 94,500 sq miles.

So they own 1.25%. Why pick on them?

I'm largely ignorant on the subject - don't know much at all, but from:

http://www.newstatesman.com/200409200005 "A few rich people, many of them aristocrats, own 69 per cent of the land in Britain"

Must read http://*******.com/ln2kw and post synopsis on the web somewhere when done. Will be very interested to learn how much council tax/rates etc. they receive in return for subsidies etc. Wonder what the ratable value of this 69% of our country is? Fascinating. Hopefully find out whether they should perhaps be picked on a little bit! ;)

Would you like them to build on it all?

That's a big question - Started an answer, but got too long - Will do a website about it some time fairly soon & repost in this thread (developed my first website in '96, rode & survived the last 'structural change' bubble!)

I'm only going if we can be nude. :unsure:

What an excellent plan. Remember those naked people in public photos a while ago? I took part in something like this, and ended up in a photo on the front page of one of the sunday papers. This is a much better idea than a festival - Doesn't need much organising to:

e.g. get a smallish group of people lying on the ground naked in a photogenic part of each of these estates. Could lie in the shape of numbers representing the land ownership figures in: http://www.newstatesman.com/200409200005 W&L's idea could be a great method of bringing these figures to public attention. Just need to distribute the photos. Sure I've got the photographer's business card somewhere, although have been looking for an excuse for buying a helicam for a while... Hmm... was kind of joking to start off with... W&L's idea has really got me thinking seriously about this.

With W&L's kind offer, there's 2 of up for doing this already!

Piff and twiddle - Piffle.

One of the points of life is to have fun. Trying to amass as many bricks & gold to leave behind when you die is realtively pointless. :P

Sad though it is but this would probably be viewed by the King Blair Overseers as a terrorist activity.

Demos in central london are difficult. The poll tax riot was great fun to participate in, but sadly we won't be seeing anything like that again. W&L's plan of distributing information in the form of naked photos is more promising.

I've spent far too much time posting on this mesage board recently - I'm going to go away for a while to do some work and try and put some silly plans into action. Please PM me if anyone is interested in moving forward with W&L's idea.

Guest Winners and Losers

With W&L's kind offer, there's 2 of up for doing this already!

I reckon I could get Shakerbaby to get his kit off. :rolleyes: (how hard could it be?)

TTRTR might not be a good idea - we want GOOD LOOKING nude people. Not that I've ever seen TTRTR in the nude (there I go again, blowing my cover!).

'Spring In the Air' would also be a good candidate me thinks. ;) - we could have him surrounded by a ring of just bloomed tulips.

I volunteer to be squeezed between Shaker and RFD. :unsure:

What could we call it? Nudity Against.......?

Edited by Winners and Losers

TTRTR might not be a good idea - we want GOOD LOOKING nude people. Not that I've ever seen TTRTR in the nude (there I go again, blowing my cover!).

(Shudder) Perhaps not the best plan - virus marketing only works with stuff people want to distribute.

'Spring In the Air' would also be a good candidate me thinks. wink.gif - we could have him surrounded by a ring of just bloomed tulips.

Did think there was a bit of :wub: between you two. :)

Tricky... 'Nudity Against the people who own 69% of our country, but don't pay taxes on it' is a bit long winded... Needs some thought.... Recursive names are good.

I reckon I could get Shakerbaby to get his kit off. :rolleyes: (how hard could it be?)

'Spring In the Air' would also be a good candidate me thinks. ;) - we could have him surrounded by a ring of just bloomed tulips.

I volunteer to be squeezed between Shaker and RFD. :unsure:

Got to have Billy Shears in there... that photo... :wub:

Guest Winners and Losers

Did think there was a bit of :wub: between you two. :)

Well, who can resist such an all powerful symbol of masculinity, the modern day EA. (actually, I'm just after his mini).

Got to have Billy Shears in there... that photo... :wub:

Ummm - I hope you are a girl Mags. :unsure:

I think something should be done to grab the news agenda on this issue.

You have to realise that the media ignores house prices because it toes whatever line the mainstream parties say it should.

Mainstream parties set the agenda, with millions of pounds invested in the structures and machinary of spin and deceit to determine the headlines. People like Alister Campbell, ex-editor of the Daily Mirror, and Labour's chief spindoctor have changed the relationship between politics and the headlines voters read.

A major issue for many people is the mass immigration policy, brought in by stealth and shroaded in spin and deceit. Over 70% of the population believe in controlled immigration and reducing the numbers.

However, ordinary people do not set the poltical agenda. The mainstream poltical parties set the agenda, and listen to big business and vested interests, from were they get thier funding, sidelining ordinary peoples opinons and wishes.

Mass immigration is off the poltical agenda. Impossible houseprices, rising rents and static wages are also off the agenda.

The only way to get this issue on the poltical agenda is to vote for an anti-immigration party in the local elections.

Most mass media monopolies toe the mainstream parties agenda, with all its expensive machinary of deceit and spin, funded by donations from big business and vested interests.

Its unfortunate that this forum is set to move posts, mainstream news articles, depicting ordinary people, who are trying to get the issue of mass immigration in the face of rising houseprices on the mainstream poltical agenda.

In many ways this only enforces the effectiveness of the above millions spent on government media machinary. anti-mass immigration = racist, nazi, horror etc...

Yes, I'm a girl! What made you think I wasn't?! A girl whose heart skips a beat every time Billy Shears' pic appears (the most recent one)!! Lol! And I'm not a fan of facial hair. It's very strange!

Guest Winners and Losers

I think something should be done to grab the news agenda on this issue.

You have to realise that the media ignores house prices because it toes whatever line the mainstream parties say it should.

Mainstream parties set the agenda, with millions of pounds invested in the structures and machinary of spin and deceit to determine the headlines. People like Alister Campbell, ex-editor of the Daily Mirror, and Labour's chief spindoctor have changed the relationship between politics and the headlines voters read.

A major issue for many people is the mass immigration policy, brought in by stealth and shroaded in spin and deceit. Over 70% of the population believe in controlled immigration and reducing the numbers.

However, ordinary people do not set the poltical agenda. The mainstream poltical parties set the agenda, and listen to big business and vested interests, from were they get thier funding, sidelining ordinary peoples opinons and wishes.

Mass immigration is off the poltical agenda. Impossible houseprices, rising rents and static wages are also off the agenda.

The only way to get this issue on the poltical agenda is to vote for an anti-immigration party in the local elections.

Most mass media monopolies toe the mainstream parties agenda, with all its expensive machinary of deceit and spin, funded by donations from big business and vested interests.

Its unfortunate that this forum is set to move posts, mainstream news articles, depicting ordinary people, who are trying to get the issue of mass immigration in the face of rising houseprices on the mainstream poltical agenda.

In many ways this only enforces the effectiveness of the above millions spent on government media machinary. anti-mass immigration = racist, nazi, horror etc...

I think you are missing the point. We just wanna get naked. ;)

In order to move things forward, I think we should ask all the males who are interested to please send photo's (neck down will be OK) to myself and Mags.

Yes, I'm a girl! What made you think I wasn't?! A girl whose heart skips a beat every time Billy Shears' pic appears (the most recent one)!! Lol! And I'm not a fan of facial hair. It's very strange!

Sorry! Hard to tell sometimes! I know where you're coming from. My heart skips a beat every time Shakerbaby appears. :lol: And I'm not a fan of female backsides. It's very strange indeed!

In 1649

To St George's Hill

A ragged band they called the Diggers

Come to show the people's will

They defied the landlords

They defied the law

They were the dispossessed

Reclaiming what was theirs

'We come in peace' they said

'To dig and sow

We come to work the land in common

And to make the waste land grow

This earth divided

We will make whole

So it can be

A common treasury for all

The sin of property

We do disdain

No one has any right to buy and sell

The earth for private gain

By theft and murder

They took the land

Now everywhere the walls

Rise up at their command

They make the laws

To chain us well

The clergy dazzle us with heaven

Or they damn us into hell

We will not worship

The God they serve

The God of greed who feeds the rich

While poor men starve

We work, we eat together

We need no swords

We will not bow to masters

Or pay rent to the lords

We are free men

Though we are poor

You Diggers all stand up for glory

Stand up now

From the men of property

The orders came

They sent the hired men and troopers

To wipe out the Diggers' claim

Tear down their cottages

Destroy their corn

They were dispersed

But still the vision lingers on

You poor take courage

You rich take care

This earth was made a common treasury

For everyone to share

All things in common

Al people one

We come in peace -

The order came to cut them down

Guest Winners and Losers

In 1649

To St George's Hill

A ragged band they called the Diggers

Come to show the people's will

They defied the landlords

They defied the law

They were the dispossessed

Reclaiming what was theirs

'We come in peace' they said

'To dig and sow

We come to work the land in common

And to make the waste land grow

This earth divided

We will make whole

So it can be

A common treasury for all

The sin of property

We do disdain

No one has any right to buy and sell

The earth for private gain

By theft and murder

They took the land

Now everywhere the walls

Rise up at their command

They make the laws

To chain us well

The clergy dazzle us with heaven

Or they damn us into hell

We will not worship

The God they serve

The God of greed who feeds the rich

While poor men starve

We work, we eat together

We need no swords

We will not bow to masters

Or pay rent to the lords

We are free men

Though we are poor

You Diggers all stand up for glory

Stand up now

From the men of property

The orders came

They sent the hired men and troopers

To wipe out the Diggers' claim

Tear down their cottages

Destroy their corn

They were dispersed

But still the vision lingers on

You poor take courage

You rich take care

This earth was made a common treasury

For everyone to share

All things in common

Al people one

We come in peace -

The order came to cut them down

But where's your photo?? :rolleyes:

I think you are missing the point. We just wanna get naked. ;)

In order to move things forward, I think we should ask all the males who are interested to please send photo's (neck down will be OK) to myself and Mags.

That's a wise plan. Remember guys, this is all for the cause. You owe it to yourselves...

Sorry! Hard to tell sometimes! I know where you're coming from. My heart skips a beat every time Shakerbaby appears. :lol: And I'm not a fan of female backsides. It's very strange indeed!

Lol! Do you think there's an HPC resident psychologist who can help us out with this? :unsure::)

But where's your photo?? :rolleyes:

I think we're being serenaded first... :wub:

Guest Winners and Losers

That's a wise plan. Remember guys, this is all for the cause. You owe it to yourselves...

Lol! Do you think there's an HPC resident psychologist who can help us out with this? :unsure::)

I think we're being serenaded first... :wub:

Yeah, I think its RichM - or whoever it was that diagnosed me with cognitive dissonace. :unsure:

Don't worry guys, we will be taking into consideration all those who have put together the most intelligent arguments for and against a HPC when selecting those for our campaign. We're not just looking for braun (neck down only remember :lol: ), we want brains too.

But who is that mystery poster serenading us?? :wub:

Billy who? Shaker who? I think I've moved on already - cancel the therapist.

Yeah, I think its RichM - or whoever it was that diagnosed me with cognitive dissonace. :unsure:

Ahhh! RichM! Or is that RichMmmm? Sorry, got to stop this! WaL you're a bad influence! lol! :):D

Don't worry guys, we will be taking into consideration all those who have put together the most intelligent arguments for and against a HPC when selecting those for our campaign. We're not just looking for braun (neck down only remember :lol: ), we want brains too.

I think we'd better just reassure DrB et al that we don't want their money... just a pic will do...

But who is that mystery poster serenading us?? :wub:

Billy who? Shaker who? I think I've moved on already - cancel the therapist.

Who indeed? :unsure::wub:

Guest Winners and Losers

Ahhh! RichM! Or is that RichMmmm? Sorry, got to stop this! WaL you're a bad influence! lol! :):D

I think we'd better just reassure DrB et al that we don't want their money... just a pic will do...

Who indeed? :unsure::wub:

I think it was RichYummm. :lol:

'Please write clearly on the back of your photo; the value of your home and your investment portfolio' - purely for research of course. :P

Edited by Winners and Losers

I think it was RichYummm. :lol:

I know the one... Mmmmmmm... :lol::unsure:

'Please write clearly on the back of your photo; the value of your home and your investment portfolio' - purely for research of course. :P

Yes, just research, that's all, no other reason, just research. That's the only reason we need to know the size of your, er, portfolio. :huh::unsure:

Guest Winners and Losers

I know the one... Mmmmmmm... :lol::unsure:

Yes, just research, that's all, no other reason, just research. That's the only reason we need to know the size of your, er, portfolio. :huh::unsure:

It's no contest really, everyone knows that TTRTR has the biggest portfolio. However, it is the quality of the portfolio that we are looking at, not the quantity. Will you guys never learn? :P:D

Well, who can resist such an all powerful symbol of masculinity, the modern day EA. (actually, I'm just after his mini).

We don't do the mini thing. Oddly enough, some estate agents (and I am one of them) are embarrassed by the mere existence of Foxtons. Others try to copy them. Couple of my lads are bit on the heavyweight side and couldn't get in a mini anyway.