House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

The Pressure Put On Some To Buy Is Immense

It could have been hell for me this weekend, but it was'nt, i would not allow it this time, but it really does take some self control and belief in yourself.

On Sunday i joined in with a big family gathering around my parents, and i am talking BIG FAMILY GATHERING. My family are Irish on MY Mums side, a harder working people bunch you will never meet, as big as my family are(i have 40 cousins alone on Mums side) not one of them have claimed a welfare cheque in the decades they have been working.

This is why their advice that they are giving me is not so easy to fob off, they are all self made people, some more self made than others. All of them on Sunday were pointing out to me that i really should be buying now, they really did not mean any harm(most of them anyway), it is just that they see their homes as the reward for some hard graft in their lives, which in itself could bring me down, i am also a hard grafter.

The advice for the whole day was BUY NOW, the same advice coincidentaly that they gave me on the subject of women, not once did it enter their heads that i might want a break from both.

My Dad is the worse, and being my Dad he is the hardest to fob off, and especially as he has done better than most when it comes to peoperty, he started with nothing and had a 3 storey victorian house in Putney paid off by the time he wa 47, he really is the model "property only ever goes up" type.

The pressure thsi weekend could have been overwhelming, but lately i have really started to not give a toss anymore. It really was a case of fifty odd peoplke and me, all insensitive to the postion i now find myself in.

The one saving grace these days is that i am now 60 miles away from any of them, as much as i love them it is incredible how family can influance your life and make you go against your better nature.

I have also noticed this weekend and have already posted on the subject how the vested interests and the media have been puting in a lot of overtime this weekend in spewing out thier propganda.

Not only did we get that crap from the Halifax(10 year gains zzzzzzz) before the weekend started, but while i was looking through my Mums TV magazine i noticed it was full of property makeover rubbish with loads of pics and must watch articles.

Yes we will have our property crash at some point, but the pressure for people to buy was really brought home to me this weekend. Like my hard working family most people are hard workers and proactive, most want to make something of themselves, and buying property does give that feeling of aiming towards something, the fact that it might be the wrong time in the cyclemeans nothing to most.

Sitting back is hard for a lot of people, more so for grafters, sitting back and waiting just goes against the nature of wanting to do something about their lot.

Never underestimate the power of peer pressure, it could keep this madness going for longer than most on here imagined.

Sam

Guest Winners and Losers

The advice for the whole day was BUY NOW, the same advice coincidentaly that they gave me on the subject of women, not once did it enter their heads that i might want a break from both.

Sam

:lol: - Where can you buy a good woman these days? They are SO overpriced!

You are spot on though Sam, it is an enormous test of willpower (that doesnt look right?), anyway, I have to keep a check on myself - as bearish as I am, I nearly always fall for the spin and get into a mini panic. So, imagine what happens to the less informed. Its not small wonder.

I had a great one this weekend. A family friend bought a property for 300k in 2001. It is now "worth" 680k (according to them). Accordingly, now was the right time to buy. Work that one out??

I had a great one this weekend. A family friend bought a property for 300k in 2001. It is now "worth" 680k (according to them). Accordingly, now was the right time to buy. Work that one out??

I do understand their logic, well not logic but tactics really.

The big gains that people like this have had, and the warm cosy feeling that goes with it is only sustainable for as long as the next bunch of mugs can be talked into buying at peak.

These family and friends that dish out the such good advice are doing nothing but looking after their own interests in a lot of cases.

I am certain i have seen cases of parents even screwing their kids in order to keep the illusion going, in any other case they would probaly give their lives to help the offspring, but with property and the Uk mentality, people here are willing to do anything, it is a illness.

Guest DisposableHeroes

Crazy really, the attitude seem to be stiff upper lip and get on with it. The fact that you could be paying off a starter home for the rest of your life is neither hear or thier.