House Price Crash Forum
pobby

Safe Investment

I have 100k plus to invest but as I am in my 50`s I really would like to advoid high risk.The mortgage is paid off and my wife and I have fairly modest private pensions to look forward to.Apert from ISA provisions does anyone have any good ideas?

I have 100k plus to invest but as I am in my 50`s I really would like to advoid high risk.The mortgage is paid off and my wife and I have fairly modest private pensions to look forward to.Apert from ISA provisions does anyone have any good ideas?

Stick 60K into high paying interest savings account - for example ICICI Bank pay 5.15% gross with no gimmicks or pitfalls. Drip feed the other 40K with regular monthly payments into a UK Index tracker fund on the assumption that you wont need to touch it for 10 years plus. The 60K cash buffer should make it unlikely you will need to fall back on the shares anyway and can be accessed in an emergency instead of the shares.

Edited by penbat1

Stick 60K into high paying interest savings account - for example ICICI Bank pay 5.15% gross with no gimmicks or pitfalls. Drip feed the other 40K with regular monthly payments into a UK Index tracker fund on the assumption that you wont need to touch it for 10 years plus. The 60K cash buffer should make it unlikely you will need to fall back on the shares anyway and can be accessed in an emergency instead of the shares.

60k into one bank - what happens if the bank goes under

rest into uk equities - so you think the uk is a good place to invest

the person really needs to speak to a good financial planner - i know they aren't many but theres at least one that comes on here that seems to know his stuff

ps high interest savings would be good if the interest rate was above the real rate of inflation (for things that matter)

60k into one bank - what happens if the bank goes under

rest into uk equities - so you think the uk is a good place to invest

the person really needs to speak to a good financial planner - i know they aren't many but theres at least one that comes on here that seems to know his stuff

ps high interest savings would be good if the interest rate was above the real rate of inflation (for things that matter)

I could write pages picking out holes in your statements. I dont think you are on the same planet.

Holding cash is the riskiest thing you can do at the moment and for the foreseeable future. I would strongly recommend to use at least 10% of your cash to buy gold bullion. It will be your only protection against the financial storm that is just beginning.

I truly hope this helps.

Protect yourself.

Holding cash is the riskiest thing you can do at the moment and for the foreseeable future. I would strongly recommend to use at least 10% of your cash to buy gold bullion. It will be your only protection against the financial storm that is just beginning.

I truly hope this helps.

Protect yourself.

Cash the riskiest? What about property? :D

Seriously though, unless you are pointing to a meltdown in the banking system, I think how you see cash depends on whether you expect inflation or deflation. I was on the deflation side of the argument until recently but I'm starting to be more persuaded by two arguments:

i) that central banks are simultaneously increasing the money supply and increasing interest rates - and this is bound to push inflation into the system for a while;

ii) that the emergence of BRIC and peak oil will continue to fuel commodity prices.

Maybe a wave of inflation followed by deflation?

But I agree about gold - Im currently at almost 10% and thinking of a bit more.

Edited by New Bear

Thankyou all for your points.When it`s said that cash is dangerous to hold does this refer to inflation?As far as the stock market is concerned I am really very cautious having invested a large sum just before the crash 5 years ago.It has recovered fully and I have just cashed in with about a 5% gain.

Pobby I'm sorry I didn't post before.

decide a risk premium for various asset classes

e.g

equities 2%

bonds 1.5%

cash .5%

property 1%

commodities 2%

allocate based/weighted on yeild - risk premium

e.g cash

4.5-.5 = 4%