House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleBubbleTrouble

Bbc News 24: Adam Smith Institute Launches Report

Just ran the spot 10 mins ago, report is out today from the Adam Smith Institute (The Free Market Think Tank).

http://www.adamsmith.org/index.php/main/individual/land/

Haven't read it yet but from the sound of it in the TV piece it sounds a lot like some of the policy exchange reports.

Saw it on Breakfast news this morning too..

Mr Balen proposed that 3% of all farmland be converted using this system, which would create 950,000 new houses and 130,000 hectares of woodland, which equated to about an 11% increase in the woodland cover of England and Wales.

The fields so barren of insect, bird and animal life, would be replaced by woods rich in biodiversity

Mischa Balen, report author

He said: "None of these new homes would be overlooked by existing houses. Rather, they would be nestled in among new woodland.

"Current homeowners would not face a view altered by new buildings.

"On the contrary, they would see the ugly monoculture fields replaced by natural woods, carefully planted to provide a mixture of different types of trees and undergrowth."

"The fields so barren of insect, bird and animal life, would be replaced by woods rich in biodiversity and providing a habitat for birds and small mammals."

A spokesman for ODPM said: "The government believes we need more new homes for an ageing and growing population. But we also need to make sure that we build these homes in a sustainable way.

"That is why the planning system is so important.

"It is because of the changes we have already made to the planning system that over 70% of new housing developments have been built on brownfield land."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4915022.stm

"It is because of the changes we have already made to the planning system that over 70% of new housing developments have been built on brownfield land."

Where did all the brownfield land come from - closed down industries and ones that offshored themselves with rising costs and theprospect of the golden sale of the old factory space.

Muppets.

I haven't read the whole report in detail, but the headlines version looks to be very clever.

Increasing supply would decrease prices, lessening pressure on FTBs. Problems would be the NIMBYs concerned about their Residential Equity Rural Environment are avoided by building them out of the sight of existing houses. Then there's the problem of this "green and pleasant land" and the environment, which is sidestepped by increasing the amount of forest at the same time.

It's clever. Will anyone take any notice of it? Will anything be done?

Billy Shears

If Labour go ahead with something like this they will have my vote back,

Sam

All Labour have committed to is 50,000 extra homes a year (taking it to 200,000) over the next 10 years. This is below the minimum (additional 70,000) the Barker report suggested for pricing people back in.

All Labour have committed to is 50,000 extra homes a year (taking it to 200,000) over the next 10 years. This is below the minimum (additional 70,000) the Barker report suggested for pricing people back in.

W*****s will not be getting my vote then, and i will go one further, if the BNP offer me whats in this Baker report they can have my vote.

Does that make me racist now

Just ran the spot 10 mins ago, report is out today from the Adam Smith Institute (The Free Market Think Tank).

The Free Market Think Tank + bbc-logo.jpg rose tinted filter = "right wing lobby group swastika.gif"

You will no doubt hear that, if they choose to even report it.

Edited by BuyingBear

Guest Guy_Montag

The Free Market Think Tank + bbc-logo.jpg rose tinted filter = "right wing lobby group swastika.gif"

You will no doubt hear that, if they choose to even report it.

A little harsh perhaps, but lets not get too excitied about a free market think tank suggesting there should be a free market in land use.

It's not really surprising now, is it?

I would suggest, and have done in posts passim, that our planning laws are too draconian & in due course they will have to change, probably swing round to being too liberal for a while, but they will have to change.

Guest Winners and Losers

For the tenants of course.....

And the tennants - that will be left behind by the 'travellers'.

A little harsh perhaps, but lets not get too excitied about a free market think tank suggesting there should be a free market in land use.

It's not really surprising now, is it?

It's surprising that the Adam Smith Institute are doing more to promote policies that will encourage social mobility and 'aspiration' compared to NuLabour or groups such as the Fabian Society.

great idea in principle as the greenbelt fixation is plain daft.....

Every day as i drive to work i pass mile after mile of economically unviable farmland which is crying out to be developed.........Only 10% of our crowded country is built on so let's stop a lot of farming and turn the countryside into 5% housing and most of the rest into parks and woodland.....

Farming is traditional in the sense every country and locality needed it to feed its people .....but it shouldn't get in the way of progress and something as vital as keeping the population housed..only around 1% of our population lives off the land for heaven's sake!...Places like Singapore and Hong Kong import nearly all their food .....

Edited by Michael

I would suggest, and have done in posts passim, that our planning laws are too draconian & in due course they will have to change, probably swing round to being too liberal for a while, but they will have to change.

Changes are afoot already:

Consulation paper on new planning policy statement 3 (PPS3): housing

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1162075

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

great idea in principle as the greenbelt fixation is plain daft.....

Every day as i drive to work i pass mile after mile of economically unviable farmland which is crying out to be developed.........Only 10% of our crowded country is built on so let's stop a lot of farming and turn the countryside into 5% housing and most of the rest into parks and woodland.....

Give me a hundred square hectares and I will create for you a lovely town with beautiful homes that are in sympathy with the surrounding environment, a place where people can live in dignity and security, with parks where people can breathe; and cycle away from crowded streets, the whole lot can be entangled with acres of newly planted hardwood trees that were in the England of 500 years ago, this is true countryside.

I find this more appealing than our current predilection for countless highrise scars on the landscape surrounded by miles of empty and sterile 'countryside' sewn with tons of homogeneous unwanted crops that are doped in more chemicals than a hippy convention, and endless plastic fields.

Guest Guy_Montag

It's surprising that the Adam Smith Institute are doing more to promote policies that will encourage social mobility and 'aspiration' compared to NuLabour or groups such as the Fabian Society.

Maybe you should reconsider your political allegiences?

Guest Guy_Montag

Give me a hundred square hectares and I will create for you a lovely town with beautiful homes that are in sympathy with the surrounding environment, a place where people can live in dignity and security, with parks where people can breathe; and cycle away from crowded streets, the whole lot can be entangled with acres of newly planted hardwood trees that were in the England of 500 years ago, this is true countryside.

I find this more appealing than our current predilection for countless highrise scars on the landscape surrounded by miles of empty and sterile 'countryside' sewn with tons of homogeneous unwanted crops that are doped in more chemicals than a hippy convention, and endless plastic fields.

I heartily agree. I was going to write more, but well it's getting late.

"It's surprising that the Adam Smith Institute are doing more to promote policies that will encourage social mobility and 'aspiration' compared to NuLabour or groups such as the Fabian Society."

Althought free market thinking gets a bad press, if we really had a free market, we wouldn't have the house price inflation nonsense that we do.

The manipulation for political purposes of the US and UK economics is totally dishonest and is about the rich getting richer, everyone else can get stuffed.

In a really free market, we would have had our little recessions and gotten it over with by now. Instead of which we have a distorted artificial market. Planned by lots of b(w)@nkers and bureaucrats who think they "Know better".

Communism, or any other ism--Crappy economic policy by any other name smells as foul.

Edited by Bee Bear