House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brainclamp

Should There Be Censorship?

Recently there have been a lot of articles in the press in relation to high house prices and the increasing numbers of people who may vote BNP in the local elections to try and stop mass-immigration.

Study: Angry voters may support BNP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4915096.stm

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/01a521a8-cdae-11d...00779e2340.html

Paying the price for immigration lies

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...87&in_a_source=

No houses, no jobs and plenty of resentment... enter the BNP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../ixnewstop.html

These discussions which are on-topic as regarding house prices, policies, laws and renting capacity have been moved off-topic, censored from the main forum.

What do most people on this forum think?

OK muffed up before - but reposting because I am interested in what do the actual users of this forum think about censorship? There appears to be a lot of on topic discussions being moved because they are deemed 'offensive' to the majority of this forums users - is this true, or are they only a vocal minority?

Edited by brainclamp

Again... Mods can you please create a seperate forum for all this BNP crap as its cluttering up the main forum AND off-topic now.

Guest muttley

It's a loaded question.I don't believe moving a thread to off-topic is censorship.Why don't you post them there in the first place?

It's a loaded question.I don't believe moving a thread to off-topic is censorship.Why don't you post them there in the first place?

I think the BNP supporters are being deliberately provocative so that they can then scream censorship.

Billy Shears

I think the BNP supporters are being deliberately provocative so that they can then scream censorship.

Billy Shears

Well at least thats it moved now.

Billy Shears

I have never been a firm believer in censorship. Moving a thread to off-topic is *not* censorship...

But this is a discussion forum about house prices, not the BNP.

The poll is loaded so I haven't responded.

I have never been a firm believer in censorship. Moving a thread to off-topic is *not* censorship...

But this is a discussion forum about house prices, not the BNP.

The poll is loaded so I haven't responded.

Why is there a massive posting about Christianity from the Jesus freeks alive and well on the main forum then????????

Billy Shears

Well, thats nonsense - radio 5 live and the above news papers seem to have no problems with this stuff!!!

Only this forum!

Personally, I don't see much sense in moving subjects and articles which are on-topic about housing etc.. off-topic just because this media outlet seems to have a problem with this stuff unlike the above media channels.

Do all user of this forum agree with this?

Such censorship is an important issue for this forum I think.

Why is there a massive posting about Christianity from the Jesus freeks alive and well on the main forum then????????

RH - I was only expressing my opinion, I am not a Mod and cannot be held responsible for which threads are moved and why.

My personal opinion is that *ALL* threads not directly related to the topic of HPC should be moved the "Off-Topic" where people can read them should they chose to...

Cheers

RH - I was only expressing my opinion, I am not a Mod and cannot be held responsible for which threads are moved and why.

My personal opinion is that *ALL* threads not directly related to the topic of HPC should be moved the "Off-Topic" where people can read them should they chose to...

Cheers

We've had a pretty happy mix on the main forum over the past few years. A lot of seemingly off topic subjects have a direct link to our economic well being. (Jesus and blind beliefs are completely irelevant of course)

All change of late, not for the better.

Cheers

I can't answer the poll as it's too loaded. I believe in free speech, and I don't see any censorship in the fact that the mods choose to move some threads to off-topic. I completely support them in doing that. I think a certain amount of debate of immigration issues rightly stays on the main forum, but too many threads get too BNP-specific, and I think it makes more sense to move those when they cross a line. They are not being suppressed, just moved.

I'd feel the same if moonies, anarchists, or the far-left were persistently hijacking or starting loaded threads on the main forum. Apart from anything else people already see "wanting a HPC" as a bit crackpot, so letting the forum get dragged into so many far-right debates brings it into disrepute. At least this way newbies aren't put off by this being the first thing they encounter.

I can't answer the poll as it's too loaded. I believe in free speech, and I don't see any censorship in the fact that the mods choose to move some threads to off-topic. I completely support them in doing that. I think a certain amount of debate of immigration issues rightly stays on the main forum, but too many threads get too BNP-specific, and I think it makes more sense to move those when they cross a line. They are not being suppressed, just moved.

I'd feel the same if moonies, anarchists, or the far-left were persistently hijacking or starting loaded threads on the main forum. Apart from anything else people already see "wanting a HPC" as a bit crackpot, so letting the forum get dragged into so many far-right debates brings it into disrepute. At least this way newbies aren't put off by this being the first thing they encounter.

There is clearly censorship when on-topic threads are moved off-topic where only a posters interested in off-topic things go - they do not expect to see important housing related posts and articles in the off-topic section IMO!

Radio 5 Live and most of the media have no problem discussing the BNP, even having pro-BNPers on as guests. This forum is different!

Is this a result of the webmasters sale of the site? I have certainly noticed a difference recently in the forum.

Edited by brainclamp

I don't have a problem discussing the BNP's policy on housing in the main forum. But if it's off topic, it's off topic. That is not sensorship, that is classifying information so as not to waste people's time and/or irritate them.

If the site degenerates into BNP propaganda then you will certainly lose my interest, and I'm sure most guests will not return.

I voted against censorship.

Problem is that debates on immigration and the BNP and start off on topic and drift off topic fairly quickly.

Still shifting them to off topic is fine by me though.

Being moved to off-topic isn't censorship.

Suppose you write a letter to The Times and it isn't printed on the front page but deep inside the paper. Is that censorship?

You are only wound up about this because you are trying to use HPC as a platform for promoting the BNP. You and the other BNP supporters know there are a lot of frustrated young people who are reading this site and you're trying to increase your "mindshare" amongst this group.

You know that being moved to off-topic means that far fewer people will read your posts. If you were really just interested in open debate you wouldn't mind.

Just look at the early posts by Viterbi. They are all about why young people are not supporting the BNP.

Much of the BNP presence on HPC is clearly a concerted effort to increase their support among young people.

In recent months the BNP have created a front businessmen's club, a front church group, a front trades union and a front civil liberties pressure group. If they are prepared to take on these various guises to gain support, why wouldn't they come on HPC.co.uk and try their luck here?

frugalista

Being moved to off-topic isn't censorship.

Suppose you write a letter to The Times and it isn't printed on the front page but deep inside the paper. Is that censorship?

You are only wound up about this because you are trying to use HPC as a platform for promoting the BNP. You and the other BNP supporters know there are a lot of frustrated young people who are reading this site and you're trying to increase your "mindshare" amongst this group.

You know that being moved to off-topic means that far fewer people will read your posts. If you were really just interested in open debate you wouldn't mind.

Just look at the early posts by Viterbi. They are all about why young people are not supporting the BNP.

Much of the BNP presence on HPC is clearly a concerted effort to increase their support among young people.

In recent months the BNP have created a front businessmen's club, a front church group, a front trades union and a front civil liberties pressure group. If they are prepared to take on these various guises to gain support, why wouldn't they come on HPC.co.uk and try their luck here?

frugalista

I am sure there are a lot of nu-labour posters putting thier views across, tories etc... Personally I have stated that people should vote against mass immigration by whatever means they can, as this is the root cause of rising house prices, and have backed that up with numerious reports and facts, figures, predictions and forecasts all of which have of course occured, against the general 'crash is around the corner bridgage' going on for year after year after year. I do not belong to a 'BNP squad' waiting to post 'my evil' at the slightlest chance etc... :lol::lol::lol:

Let's face it there is no real bear argument other than 'it's the economic cycle - we do not have to bother taking any action - it will all sort itself out'. There is no bear argument of any substance. Everything is dismissed in favour of this belief. However, there has been no censorship in the past, other than now.

I find it shocking that I post on-topic articles from mainstream mediasources which depicted people trying to halt the rise and rise of houseprices prob. caused by mass immigration in thier areas by voting anti-immigration.

As a result of all the main parties embracing mass immigration, these people had turned to the only anti-immigration party in thier area.

This is ON-TOPIC - its about house prices and the forces that are causing them !!!

Its clear censorship to move it OFF-TOPIC.

The facts are that most people want to discuss this issue - even if shock - horror - they say they may vote BNP as they are so desperate in the face of rising HPI!

Most of the 'BNP presence' is well established ordinary posters who have been on this forum for years who have decided to poltically do something about what they believe is the root cause of HPI!

It may suit you to decide what grown adults need to hear and what they don't, but it appears from the poll that most people here believe they can decide for themselves.

If a discussion is ON-TOPIC why CENSOR IT by moving it off topic?

Edited by brainclamp