House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vicstress

How Will The New East London Line Affect House Prices?

hi

I'm based near to Norwood Junction and believe that we're getting a tube line into central London by 2010.

I don't have any experience of how this kind of thing affects house prices - we're looking ot move back to Hampshire in the next couple of years, but are we better of waiting until the tube line is in or will it not make much of a difference?

Local estate agents tell me that it affects the price up to 2 years before things like this actually happen - but i'm a bit dubious!

Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing?

Thanks

Guest Winners and Losers

Are you sure? 5 years ago they said this line was going to Streatham and then scrapped it. I would make sure that it was a definite first. 2010 is still some time away, and these things have a habit of being delayed or shelved.

Are you sure? 5 years ago they said this line was going to Streatham and then scrapped it. I would make sure that it was a definite first. 2010 is still some time away, and these things have a habit of being delayed or shelved.

Yeah, they've already started work on it. I think the Streatham one never passed the planning stage.....

Guest Winners and Losers

Yeah, they've already started work on it. I think the Streatham one never passed the planning stage.....

Well, it might have made a difference in a booming market, but don't think it will stop prices from falling during a bust. I think it will be a case of wait and see, but being near a tube line should add value, just depends on the state of market at the time as to how much value this may be. If prices fall, the added value by that time might only bring it back to today's prices, for example.

Guest Winners and Losers

"The East London Line is currently being extended both north and south to link it into the overground rail network. When the extensions are complete in about 2007, the line will be franchised out to a private operator and operated as part of the national network rather than as a tube line, so if anyone claims the "tube" is coming to your neighbourhood, it's not strictly true..."