House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Loftus Road

Query Hmos

My friend lives in a HMO. The landlord has been hit with these new regulations and has to do alot of work. Good, it's a shit hole. My friend has been there 13 years and now felt it was time to move on. There would be alot of disruption. She found a new place to live. Didn't give any notice and lost 4 weeks deposit. She also lost 4 weeks money she had paid for rent. Fair enough I guess.

However, another person in the house told the landlord that he was moving out. Ha ha bloody funny. However, we then found out that this person was now moving into my friends old room (and was going to do some decorating work to the whole house too). My friend therefore asked for some rent back from the landlord. He said no, saying that the room had simply transferred, ie, her old room would now be the vacant room from the other person who was moving into her old room. He also said strictly speaking he could hold her to 6 months rent if he wanted to.

Is this right. Is there anyway my friend can get some money back from him. To add insult to injury the landlord asks where the curtains were. She had been there 13 years, they had fallen apart from mould. What a complete t*at.

But her room has been relet to the guy from upstairs. Is she responsible for his room being vacant? What if his room gets let immediately. No shortfall in rent then.

Of course, the way around for the landlord is simply not move the guy until the 4 weeks rent my friend has paid has expired but the guy wants to move in now. The landlord won't meet halfway. I told my friend to be awkward and not allow him to move in.................but she's a decent type.

Edited by Loftus Road

If she has been there for 13 years, then she will be on a periodic tennancy (I think, this may be so old she started on a short hold tennancy, which I don't know the rules of). Therefore she only has to give one months notice, and can only be responsible for a maximum of one month's lost rent.

If I was still having to pay rent, I would keep the room, as it saves a lot of hassel in moving if you can have an overlap of a couple of weeks.

Edited by Imp

Didn't give any notice and lost 4 weeks deposit. She also lost 4 weeks money she had paid for rent. Fair enough I guess.

No that is not fair enough, 4 weeks in total would be due for the lack of notice to the landlord not 4 weeks deposit and the advance rent paid.

(providing it was not a breach of a fixed term).

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check the lease.

What's most annoying is she's been there 13 years, always paid on time and never given any hassle. The place really is a dump (in West Hampstead, London for your info), no central heating, hot water and electricity all done on meters. It's the sort of place that will get hammered by the Council. The landlord is obviously pissed off that he's finally been rumbled for renting out a shithole and tenants are now leaving him just as he's going to have to get the builders in.

She left the room perfectly tidy and clean and all the sad git can do is go on about what happened to the mouldy curtains. He couldn't even look her in the eye apparently. I wish I'd been there because I would have given him a right mouthful. I'm trying to get my friend to fight this but she's stressed out and I reckon she may well just prefer to walk away.

Just to clarify my answer above. When I said hes right, he is right about the RENT. A lot of the other issues raised certainly sound somewhat dubious at best. For example, the landlord has no reason to withhold the deposit. However, with regards the rent, there is no doubt that the tenant is not entitled to a refund.