House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Easter Shopping Not So Good

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...7/ixportal.html

High street has a quiet holiday

By Melanie Feisst (Filed: 17/04/2006)

Retailers have been deprived of an early bank holiday boost as the number of people visiting the high street fell on Good Friday, according to the first analysis of the key weekend's trends.
The number of shoppers venturing out across the UK continued to slide on Friday, dropping 4.3pc compared with the same day last year.

No Spring Bounce on the high street. Government propganda not realised:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4908694.stm

Easter shopping bonanza expected

Retail sales have been sluggish so far this year
Retailers are hoping for an Easter bonus this bank holiday weekend, with consumers spending a record £10.5bn.
Analysis by the Centre for Economics and Business Research predicts that households will spend an average of £434, up 2% on last Easter
Edited by Realistbear

Proves that the BBC are the Governments Spin Doctors.

BBC WRONG AGAIN?????

I think Nu-Labour need Max Clifford as their agents now as they are phucked!

TB

Obviously this is not scientific, but on the way to the bank on Saturday to top up my ISA, I noted that almost all the estate agents were empty, other than the staff.

Easter bounce?

Edited by The Undertaker

Obviously this is not scientific, but on the way to the bank on Saturday to top up my ISA, I noted that almost all the estate agents were empty, other than the staff.

Easter bounce?

I went to Stratford on Saturday and looked in the windows of the 6 big EAs. Not a single customer in any of them and the VIs had been saying that people were "thronging" EAs to register their interest and to view details. Reality is diverging from VI "spin" (lies).

Retailers have been deprived of an early bank holiday boost as the number of people visiting the high street fell on Good Friday, according to the first analysis of the key weekend's trends.
The number of shoppers venturing out across the UK continued to slide on Friday, dropping 4.3pc compared with the same day last year.

[/indent]

Down my high street I only saw one kid eating an easter egg. :P

£433 pounds

i wonder who has been spending my share

1 mars easter egg

4 cans of murphy's

2x packs marlboro lights

1 donner kebab

1 bottle of 2.99 australian wine

1 pack batteries for remote control

naughty naughty naughty consumer

Went to IKEA in Croydon today for some picture frames. Absolutely packed. :(

Good

Let 'em spend all that money that they haven't earnt yet and import all those goods that we don't make.

Dig deep now everyone - you know you can screw the country if you really try.

£433 pounds

i wonder who has been spending my share

1 mars easter egg

4 cans of murphy's

2x packs marlboro lights

1 donner kebab

1 bottle of 2.99 australian wine

1 pack batteries for remote control

naughty naughty naughty consumer

:lol:

WHO has been spending my share?

£20 wedding present

£2 lottery tickets

£14 of food shopping from M&S

£1.25 cinnamon twirl from Maison Blanc

£5.50 on drinks whilst watching Liverpool beat Blackburn

Donnie's Easter Contribution to the economy:

£42.75

Guest The_Oldie

I was in Comet this afternoon, the atmosphere was almost one of desperation.

About twenty potential customers and as many sales staff. I was getting approached every couple of minutes with "Have you found what you're looking for sir, can I be of assistance?"

Lots of reductions, but people seem to be keeping their money in their pockets.

I was forced to go to homebase today and it was 'relatively' busy. Bear in mind this store normally has only a handful of customers a day (as far as I can see), so relatively busy doesn't mean it was packed. I got served quite quickly, but that was down to me rushing to a newly opened till rather than no one buying.

Before I went to Homebase I tried to go to Wickes, but couldn't get in the car park (no it wasn't closed, it was full) and sencing I was beginning to loose the will to live, I gave up and went to homebase.

I also, had to go to...

Tesco, which was no busier than normal.

Habitat, lots of people, but no one really buying anything unless it was on offer. (I always have a wander around habitat, but never buy anything).

Curry's, busy, but no queue at the tills.

All in the Hatfield/St Albans area.

our local BandQ depot opens from 7am everyday - ideal for those BTL numpties who work 18 hour days

I thought there were some early birds in the car park today but not overly busy (didnt go inside)

Edited by notanewmember

In Spelthorne - shops I have been too have been emptier than I have ever seen then. Much emptier than any old weekend and in fact, emptier than the average weekday. Mind, I never went to any B&Q or IKEA* or such like.

*Actually pronounced ick-ee-ah

We've spent almost £50 on a gas 'bombola' and fittings for the half price BBQ, and £20 online for half price Ben Sherman school shoes for sprog. Haven't been anywhere else except work this weekend.

Went with my Trouble & Strife to Stratford Saturday and spent 3.20 in M & S on 2 of the finest Capuccinos money can buy. Much better than Costa and Starbucks IMO. M & S were busy but mostly in the food section where people were in quite a frenzy it seemed.

Again, the 6 EAs I inspected had zero customers in them. No one picking up details. Not a FTB registering interest to be seen. Just bored EAs sitting at their desks twiddling with elastic bands and some sitting back in their chairs with their eyes shut and mouths open.

Went into EWM and the person working there said trade was down--this is the branch next to Shakespeares gaff and one of the busiest tourist attractions in the realm.

The times has figures for saturday also now (below). Given that most stores were closed on sunday I cannot see how this will have been pulled out of the bag today. IMHO retailers were fully banking on a good easter, job losses may well have followed anyway even if it had turned up, but we may now see something of a mini cull over the next month or two.

No Easter boom on the High Street

By Times Online

Retail hopes of a bumper Easter at the tills looked to be dashed, after early indication of business on Friday and Saturday demonstrated a downturn in trade on 2005.

Consumers have been keeping a tight hold on the purse strings so far this year, causing much pain on the High Street. And figures today from Footfall, the monitors of traffic on Britain's high streets, showed that the hoped-for resurgence in trade had not materialised.

On Good Friday, the first of day of the four-day Easter break, showed a year-on-year downturn of -4.3 per cent, while Saturday was little better, at -3.3 per cent down on Easter 2005.

Natasha Burton, spokesperson for FootFall, said, " Saturday's figures are an improvement on Good Friday's year on year fall of -4.3 per cent, as last minute Easter present shopping and preparations for the long weekend ahead drove footfall to the high street.

"This will go a little way to encourage retailers, who will be looking at this holiday's performance to gauge the quarter ahead.

"Retailers have everything to play for. The late Easter and its accompanying decent weather, means that the battle for share of consumer spend will be even more closely fought between homes and gardens, leisure activities and the high street."

Analysis by the Centre for Economics and Business Research had predicted that households would spend an average of £434, and a total of £10.5 billion, up 2 per cent on last Easter.

The CEBR said that rising confidence in the housing market was boosting consumer confidence.

The retail sector certainly needs some bumper Easter sales. Earlier this month, the British Retail Consortium reported that sales in March had fallen at their fastest rate since last July, damaged by the cold weather and this year's late Easter.

Further subdued consumer activity could see some economic pressure taken off inflation, and will see industry renew its calls on the Bank of Enmgland to cut interest rates to encourage more spending.

I had to ring IKEA customer services today and got through almost straight away.

That tells me they are either doing very well or very badly. Does anybody have hard sales figures ans not just geneal obsevations?

I'd love to know where exactly we're supposed to find this much hoped for ten billion to spend. I had to think twice about spending £15 on new cutlery on thursday.

I'll find out tomorrow how well my store did over the easter holiday. It's a supermarket though and not a high street retailer.

My hometown was an absolute ghost town over the weekend.

Either there's not much money about or 90% of the population has MEWed and gone away on holiday.

:D

I was in Bluewater last saturday afternoon [admittedly not this Easter weekend], and most levels of the multistorey car park were completely empty. We parked on 1st floor and there were no more than 20 other cars. Litterally thousands of empty spaces. Normally you have to fight to park there.

We were out spending this Easter weekend. Rugs, carpets, furniture for the new house.

Original budget £25,000. We've now spent just under £40,000. All in the last 3 weeks.

Only 2 rooms left to furnish.

We were out spending this Easter weekend. Rugs, carpets, furniture for the new house.

Original budget £25,000. We've now spent just under £40,000. All in the last 3 weeks.

Only 2 rooms left to furnish.

So you've spent my £400 and odd pounds share for me. ;)