House Price Crash Forum
Its time to buy

Battersea Reach And St George Wharf

I noticed the "Selling Fast!" sign when I went past these. Makes you wonder if they're "selling fast" why they bother putting a 50ft banner in the window to tell you?

Should really say "Not selling fast: sh1t we've over committed; mugs of the world please come and bail us out!".

Edit: Watch for them to be bought by a Housing Asscociation (with public money) and then sold as "affordable housing".

Edited by Foobar

these represent a real stretch in terms of transport into central london

madly overpriced for the location

Bubb, I live down here and I disagree with the transport bit (but not the price bit!) - Clapham Junction is 10 mins away - Wandsworth Town is 5 mins away and a new station over the bridge in Chelsea is planned for the next couple of years. Mainline trains 10-15 mins into Waterloo or Victoria. There are many people (like me) who favour for quality of life areas which are not adjacent to Tube lines. Also the area is v popular with well off 25-30 yr olds with city jobs who like living with those similar to themselves.

But, there is a glut of flats recently built and being built/planned down here and more (IMO) than the rental market can cope with - and so I agree that the prices of new build flats in SW11/SW18 down there are definitely still overpriced (but becoming less so every year). If you look at the developments in Riverside West in Wandsworth or the slightly older Plantation Wharf in Battersea, 2 bed flat prices there (based on nethouseprices) have stagnated for a long time IMO some have gone upa little, some down too. Many places are at 2002/3 prices or earlier. I know lots of places where the prices are only 20% up on 2000/01 prices - 3-4% a year. One day there will be severe bargains here but not yet sadly.

Edited by Tempest

these represent a real stretch in terms of transport into central london

madly overpriced for the location

The St George Wharf ones are by Vauxhall station, so actually pretty good for trasport links to Waterloo and Victoria. Cheapest 2 bed available now is £895k though!!!!!!

I always think The Battersea Reach ones are in an odd location. Clearly priced as they are for the proximity to The Thames, but the general area isn't great. You have to walk past the nasty estate to get to the decent bars and more importantly the station in Clapham Junction. If I was a lone female after dark, I seriously wouldn't walk along the falcon road and beyond down to get to these developments. I regularly run home from Victoria to Balham and use these roads to cut up from the river to Wandsworth Common, and this is the only bit I get worried on at night, and I'm not a small chap.

It will take generations (and bulldozers) for that area to improve.

battersea reach - balitmore house -

checking on the website - a lot are sold - how depressing!

well i couldnt buy even if i wanted to do a IO mortgage :lol:

oh well i B)

Edited by notanewmember

I'm sure they're selling, but they don't really represent value for money in my own opinion.

Looked on the website and they have a 1 bed with a 9ft by 9ft bedroom for nearly £290k. In fact, if you multiply up the dimensions on the site and add 5ft by 5ft for the bathroom (Dimensions are taken from widest point so this will overstate the total) you get a 343sq ft apartment.

That's a £90k - £100k premium over a victorian convertion in Battersea for being a) a new build and b ) a bit near the water. I guess it may have river views but I can't tell.

There's probably a £20k charge for a parking space as well, but given how many are sold, there's unlikely to be any left. Madness.

I looked at Candlemakers about three to four years ago. £315k for a one bed. It was 800 sq foot, but in that area? No way. There's even another development between Candlemakers and the river!

Edited by LivingTheDream-JustLikeLeedsUtd

The George Wharf one has been there for a few years now and is fairly well occupied from what I can see when I drive past. I'm sure there are lots of 'ghost' new builds sitting empty around London but that isn't one of them. The location is actually pretty amazing although I don't like the look of the flats themselves.

Scatter chart for the road that battersea reach is on, you can see prices have gone apocoliptically NUTS over the past two years.

http://www.batterseareach.com/default.asp

What's changed is the quality of the housing along the road, rather than pre-development property experiencing massive HPI. If you lived in one of the post war blocks opposite the Travelodge along from Battersea Reach, you couldn't expect that much of an increase in your existing property.

The spikes in the trendline are due to the pricing of these new developments, and while some people clearly think they represent value for money, I still think given the general area around these developments that nearly £300k is a huge price to pay for a <400 sq ft one bed apartment.