House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pyewackitt

Has Hpc.co.uk Helped Educate You?

Inspired by one comment from another forum thread:

88Crash:

I can relate to that, because last time I also believed the Daily Express etc, - I had no reason not to??

I'm now older, wiser and thanks to the internet and a bit of HPC, better informed

Its a sentiment I find quite often on this board and I know that I certainly feel a lot more informed and my economics knowledge has increased significantly since joining HPC.

How important do you think HPC.co.uk has been to your understanding of the market and financial education?

- Pye

hpc.co.uk has educated me in the respect that I now believe people can have their eyes opened. Or perhaps, they can't, perhaps they are just different kind of sheep?

I have learned a bit from hpc.co.uk, but I learned to think for myself and question everything prior to coming to this site.

I believe free thought is the most important thing anyone can learn from this site, particularly as it is so under attack from Government.

NDL

The most educating thing that HPC lead me to was that moneymasters film.

I'd always thought there was something not quite right with banking.

Who would've thought the truth would be so utterly disturbing. :o

YES

I sold my last house late 2003.

Spent 2 years scratching my head wondering how people could afford

to buy at such ridicules prices.

Then found hpc.co.uk and learned new phrases such as “carry trade” :unsure:

How important do you think HPC.co.uk has been to your understanding of the market and financial education?

Fairly important. Thought there was a crash coming before I visited the site, have since learnt that it's happening already, and will accelerate in the near term.

It's a shame that there hasn't been more work on the wiki - this could be a very powerful tool for presenting the facts behind the HPC. There's so much churn/VI stuff on the forums that they take a lot of reading to get into. IMO, the easiest way to accomplish what e.g. Marina suggests is to improve the wiki into a one-stop-shop for first time viewers who don't have the time/inclination to plough through all the ever changing threads.

The wiki should be a presentation of everyone's compelling arguments. It can be used to pull together divergent threads - The only way to educate people as to the likelihood of further sustained falls in prices is to present the information in an easy to read and follow fashion.

A discussion forum isn't the way to do this. A wiki is.

wivout a shadough ov a dout!!

I waz fik b4 I caim hear and now I iz veri cleva.

Dr. blub and ko arr an insperashion 2 uz all and I 4 one can sey that I iz far moore cleverer than I was befour.

fank yoo to everee-won fore makin me a betta persun.

TB

Dr. blub and ko arr an insperashion 2 uz all and I 4 one can sey that I iz far moore cleverer than I was befour.

TB

Can anyone understand a word ????

Before HPC I had the feeling something wasn't right with the housing market and he economy as a whole. I'm no financial guru but even I know a economy that's based so heavily on consumer spending can't go on forever and that house prices don't go up forever.

HPC has informed me why things are as they are and confirmed that it's not just wishful thinking that house prices will come down.

Guest muttley

TB

:lol::lol:

Turn your spellchecker back on, teddy!!

fank yoo to everee-won fore makin me a betta persun

Teddy boy, that exactly how my daughter writes all her school essays!

:D:D:D

:unsure:

You wouldn't believe..

Before finding HPC I was quite ignorant to politics, the economy, house prices ;) , global going's on etc etc. I would maybe watch the news or read a newspaper (a very poor quality one) a couple of times a week. I would never notice the "spin" and believed sensible stories like quoted average house price's.

I guess I thought "as long as I'm getting an average wage I will be able to afford a house".

I have learn't more here in the past few months than I ever leart at school about such topic's, I'm 30...

I find myself having discussion's with people about thing's I now that have never interested me before, I do tend to stay away from house price's though, cause's too many arguments ;)

I sometimes wander from HPC when I read an interesting story to check it out for myself, you can't believe everything you read on an internet forum :lol::lol:

Thank's all, you can all relax in the knowledge that you have probably saved a FTB from a very big mistake, I am now going to rent for another year at a lot less cost than an IO mortgage on same property (in-laws house, they are emmigrating).

Before I found HousePriceCrash.co.uk I thought houses were far too expensive and wanted to find out more about this, thats how I found this site. Prior to that I had no interest in economics and investing, now I think about these things practically every day!

HPC.co.uk has definitely increased my understanding/awareness/importance of these subjects, for which I am very grateful for.

Thank you to all on this forum.

I am very very curious and question everything - and thank my parents for teaching me not to accept things at face value. So I was very suspicious about the housing market and was sure it was going to turn, and turn quite severely - but my peers seemed completely oblivious to this....

Quite a few are beginning to accept what is beginning to happen now ;)

After "coming out" as a housing market bear, it's great to have found that I am not alone.

The bonus has been that I have learnt soooooo much about the economy and the banking system. Much much more to learn but this is only the start.

Just a quick comment, as I don't usually post- just read for advice. When I first came here well over a year ago (can't remember exact date) I found the advice and comments extremely useful and I think they opened my eyes and widened my understanding of the housing market a huge amount. I have recommended the site to many friends thinking of buying and think we do now all take consideration of facts that we may not otherwise have realised without visisting here- some of us have now bought, some not, but either way with a much more open mind and awareness of the good or bad possibilities to come.

However, I was compelled to add to this thread as I have been more and more upset lately by the attitude of posters here. At one time I looked at the site as a good source of information- now it is a bit too comical to be taken seriously- rather than take peoples anacdotal comments or opinions and offer up constructive criticism/observations- many just seem to be on the attack. Theres almost a mantra going on "avoiding housing market good- making tentative steps bad!" It should be a forum for discussion, not belittlement (sorry- couldn't think of a better word!)

I joined cos I wanted to suss all the ins and outs of buying, and as far as I think- as long as you feel well informed but are still comfortable to take the risk to buy a HOME- then why not? But more and more it feels as though you can't even ask reasonable questions or offer up opinion that doesn't fit in without incurring some kind of sarcasm or even abuse.

So, once upon a time- yes- I got great advice from this site- now, I visit because I am still very interested in what is to be said- but increasingly the way in which it is being said makes many threads ridiculous and not worth looking at.

I don't find it easy to make this post- I am not asomeone who is overly familiar with economics etc. The bull/bear thing is a distant memory from GCSE Commerce- but I do think I and my friends are the kind of 'Sheeple' you should be informing- not making laugh with your petty arguments.

Nuff said. Bring on the battle.... :P

One step further?

I have been accused by some here, of making some posting which were too complex, and were "losing"

a majority of HPC posters. I suppose that is a legitimate critique since I have been surrounded by financial

concepts for at least two decades, and by now, I take the concepts for granted.

Rather than cluttering HPC with alot of very complicated economic posting which may put off newbies

and regulars who just want to get on with discussing the UK property market, I have now set up my own

website, which has a different mission, and has an educational section designed to help those who want to

go into more detail about some of the more esoteric investment opportunities beyond property investing.

Obviously, I am continuing to post here. I would like to continue to see HPC develop as a community

which will assist potential FTBers, and others with an interest in getting on the right side of the property

market at the right time.

Self-education for everyone, and increased tranparency free from Spin is critical for those who want to

get the most of their involvement in property, whether as an investor or a tenant.

I'm sure you have forgotten more than I will ever know about certain financial concepts - but I am learning.. slowly!

Surely a good forum is about balance? Bubb's posts are very detailed and require concentration (for me) to follow. But read and learn I do. The other side of the coin are the excellent anecdotes that are also posted - some are amusing, some are clearly wind-ups, some are bulls discovering the cure for constipation, some are bears panicking...

One doesn't have to read every thread - I pick and chose depending on my mood and how much my head is hurting at the time B)

So, once upon a time- yes- I got great advice from this site- now, I visit because I am still very interested in what is to be said- but increasingly the way in which it is being said makes many threads ridiculous and not worth looking at.

Ten things I have learned in the last year from hpc (Dr Bubb mostly), the motley fool (www.fool.co.uk) discussion boards (not just property markets and trends) and financial sense. I have not prioritised these:

1. Gold is money and still cheap. It will be still fairly priced at $1000 an ounce.

2. We are in a debt bubble which probably will lead to a depression as bad as the 1930's - although will India and China bail us out to an extent?

3. We have reached or are about to reach Peak Oil. This is going to have an enormous impact on Civilisation. Combined with Global warming it is going to possibly devastate the planet - I am talking about 500 million + dying of starvation. High house prices dosn't really matter. It probably is going to be every man for himself, sod house prices. But for you owning oil shares may help.

4. Mortage approvals are an early indicator of House Price Inflation - still holding up but for how much longer?

5. The print media is defunct - why read a journalists interpretation of events - best get the nerd publishing on the internet who has done the most research and the best knowledge of events.

6. Inward migration has buoyed up the UK economy - especially when Poland joined the EU. I believe this to be a temporary effect. If the jobs dry up and Germany recovers they will all shoot back before you can say Auf Wiedersehen.

7. Isas are a tax efficient way to buy shares

8. Spread betting is also free of CGT, but is scary as you can gear up and short and lose your shirt if you not careful

9. For information on shares I would rate the motley fool as the best online source of information. Go Soco Intl (SIA) and Aminex (AEX)! I would rather use this for my own SIPP than rely on Pension funds who seem to suck up all your money in fees

10. World interest rates are now all on the rise.

Add all of these together and I believe that now is possibly the worst time since - lets say the Black Death to buy property with a mortgage that you will be paying over 25 years. If you have to buy you should fix the IR's for at least 10 years in case of rampant inflation. But you will still be kicking yourself as you lose 30% of the property's value in nominal terms over the next 3 years.

Edited by alexays

Yes HPC has definately educated me, I mainly lurk on here but don't post much, since a work colleague has introduced me to here I have looked at housing and the economy in a different light, it has made me realise just how much control the media have on people, its like being woken up from the matrix or something.

I tend not to let my true feelings about housing out cos people generally try to ridicule me and my workmate, but I have definately noticed that sentiment is changing regarding the economy and housing. I had a discussion about a year ago with someone who was adament that "bricks and mortor is the best investment you can make, never go wrong with bricks and mortor, house prices will always go up".

This week the same person said to me "I reckon the economy is going down the pan, and if interest rates go up I'll struggle with the mortage".

HPC has definately made a difference to the way I see things now. :)

Before I found HousePriceCrash.co.uk I thought houses were far too expensive and wanted to find out more about this, thats how I found this site. Prior to that I had no interest in economics and investing, now I think about these things practically every day!

HPC.co.uk has definitely increased my understanding/awareness/importance of these subjects, for which I am very grateful for.

Thank you to all on this forum.

Same here :)

I've learned loads from hpc - there's a great wealth of knowledge and diversity of opinion here and I'm grateful to everyone who shares it. I've learned that not only are there things I didn't know (unknowns) but also that there are things that I didn't know that I didn't know (unknown unknowns) - this is something that conventional media in it's smug attempt to sound all-knowing fails to shed light on.

:(

One step further?

I have been accused by some here, of making some posting which were too complex, and were "losing"

a majority of HPC posters. I suppose that is a legitimate critique since I have been surrounded by financial

Rather than cluttering HPC with alot of very complicated economic posting which may put off newbies

and regulars who just want to get on with discussing the UK property market, I have now set up my own

website, which has a different mission, and has an educational section designed to help those who want to

go into more detail about some of the more esoteric investment opportunities beyond property investing.

Obviously, I am continuing to post here. I would like to continue to see HPC develop as a community

which will assist potential FTBers, and others with an interest in getting on the right side of the property

Self-education for everyone, and increased tranparency free from Spin is critical for those who want to

get the most of their involvement in property, whether as an investor or a tenant.

Yes, putting me off shared ownership - I soooo desperately wanted a place of my own that I was happy to pay half of my 'mortgage' as rent :( I've stopped that little ditty since I lurked on this website - but prior to that the 'feeling of owning your own home' was very strong, god it was a close call....

The other positive was learning about saving, not silly bank accounts but proper investing - I can't get a house so I have find something that exceeds HPI (why didn't I do this 20 years ago?? :( ). The investment subforums have been very (really) informative and I'm replying to DrBubb's message as this is something that I aspire to. I've got ISA's - investing in FTSE 100' companies & now thinking about investing in Japan, I er....haven't got as far as looking at commodities but I'm getting there. Amen to this site.

:(

Yes, putting me off shared ownership - I soooo desperately wanted a place of my own that I was happy to pay half of my 'mortgage' as rent :( I've stopped that little ditty since I lurked on this website - but prior to that the 'feeling of owning your own home' was very strong, god it was a close call....

The other positive was learning about saving, not silly bank accounts but proper investing - I can't get a house so I have find something that exceeds HPI (why didn't I do this 20 years ago?? :( ). The investment subforums have been very (really) informative and I'm replying to DrBubb's message as this is something that I aspire to. I've got ISA's - investing in FTSE 100' companies & now thinking about investing in Japan, I er....haven't got as far as looking at commodities but I'm getting there. Amen to this site.

I am going to be brutally frank here, and you might find this offensive for which I apologize in advance.

The problem I have with newbies on a highly controversial web site like this one, is that you never really know whether the newbie posters are taking the piss with a little sarcasm.

Again, I apologize.

Always knew that the house price situation was idiotic and likely unsustainable.

HPC provided me with why.

and the moneymakers documentary was a real eye opener for sure.

One step further?

Dr Bubb your Cycles of Emotion says it all.

What goes up must/will come down ;)