House Price Crash Forum

Is Your Job Resession Proof ?

Guest muttley

What is plastering?.

The work has dried up cos everyone dry lines now.

The days when I would have a plasterer's labourer smashing his 3ft wide rusty builders barrow through my oak door linings spilling sh!t along the way are well gone.

My nephew (aged 16) is undecided between electrician, plumber or plasterer. He's leaning towards plastering.Is this a bad idea, laurejon?

Plastering is on the way out.

All new houses are dry lined, its cheaper, cleaner, and quicker, better insulation, sound proofing, and a better job altogether if done correctly.

Your nephew should consider a job outside of the building trade, the next few years are going to dire for building trades.

If he is wholly keen to enter into a trade, then chose carpentry there is always work for a good chippy.

Plumming has had a lot of press!! Plummers do not earn 55K they earn the trade rate of around 500 quid a week and the work is pretty dire. New work you would be lucky to get a whole weeks work out of a new build house.

If you want recession proof job, then chose undertaker, or hairdresser, or go on the game :D

I cant think of a single job that is recession proof, but I can tell you that in my experience there is always work for good people, so endeavour to be the best in whatever you chose.

Edited by laurejon
Guest muttley

Plastering is on the way out.

All new houses are dry lined, its cheaper, cleaner, and quicker, better insulation, sound proofing, and a better job altogether if done correctly.

Your nephew should consider a job outside of the building trade, the next few years are going to dire for building trades.

If he is wholly keen to enter into a trade, then chose carpentry there is always work for a good chippy.

Plumming has had a lot of press!! Plummers do not earn 55K they earn the trade rate of around 500 quid a week and the work is pretty dire. New work you would be lucky to get a whole weeks work out of a new build house.

If you want recession proof job, then chose undertaker, or hairdresser, or go on the game :D

I cant think of a single job that is recession proof, but I can tell you that in my experience there is always work for good people, so endeavour to be the best in whatever you chose.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Undertaker.Now there's an idea!

After six months on the dole I've just got a job as a bus driver. I hope that all the MEW-ed up idiots being forced to sell their 325is and take the bus will keep me in work- if not then oh well, the redundancy payoff from my last job cleared my debts :unsure:.

Run Drilling operations on a rig for BP. Oil's always been up and down with the economy, 1999 and the $10 barrell was terrible but now we are booming. With the lack of properly trained young people, BP (and Shell who I just left to join BP) are screaming for people. I'm 30, Average age for my job is about 50.....................

Maybe price will dip in a recession but with the lack of supply???????

Maybe I will be sent to some more exotic places for exploration.............

Laurejon,

The work has not dried up because everyone is dry walling now, people have been doing that since the 1930's. The work has dried up because the money is drying up in the economy, but yes I do concede that construction is the last place I would advise anybody to think of joining over the next few years.

Plastering has been going as a process for about 4000 years, it didn't die as a trade in early 2006. The UK economy is now on its knees, you can feel it in the air.

Run Drilling operations on a rig for BP. Oil's always been up and down with the economy, 1999 and the $10 barrell was terrible but now we are booming. With the lack of properly trained young people, BP (and Shell who I just left to join BP) are screaming for people. I'm 30, Average age for my job is about 50.....................

Maybe price will dip in a recession but with the lack of supply???????

Maybe I will be sent to some more exotic places for exploration.............

Kevino...

I have always been interested in oil rig jobs but never figured out how to get one - how do you get your first job? Last time I looked there seemed no way in.

Thanks

Guest Guy_Montag

Mostly I do seismic surveys for the academic community, but we're trying to set up a sideline in oil exploration. I reckon I'm pretty safe, we've got work lined until 2008.

Mind you, I'm thinking about prostetuting myself to an oil company for big bucks.