House Price Crash Forum
iLegallyBlonde

Is Your Job Resession Proof ?

I obviously am not planning to be an EA for a minute longer than I have to so will return to my real career in about 5 years time or retrain, but I'm just wondering what everyone else does as I'm not sure i'll have a career to return to if we are correct about the crash.

no.

but i dont care. should be hit such a rocky road after all this self inflicted economic bullcrap.

ill be on the first ferry to europe and out of here. im not sitting through a 5 year housing crisis AND a 10 year recession.

no.

but i dont care. should be hit such a rocky road after all this self inflicted economic bullcrap.

ill be on the first ferry to europe and out of here. im not sitting through a 5 year housing crisis AND a 10 year recession.

Oh to be young free and single :lol:

Guest muttley

They say that pharmacy is recession proof.

I'm not sure I agree entirely, but I did increase my business during the last recession.The key points are that you are not dependant on people having money in their pocket, as most prescriptions are free.In fact people are more likely to need medication when they are unemployed, and have more time on their hands to go and visit their GP.

Canada, probably... or maybe Thailand if that doesn't happen, I have several friends who've moved out there in the last few years.

Guest muttley

Canada, probably...

Where in Canada? I was in Vancouver in 2004. I could happily live there.I know a guy who emigrated to Toronto, and loves it.

I am not sure to be honest if my job is safe recession or not. I work in law in the personal injury market and I think the PI boom is on the decline.

That said I could diversify into another area of law but we will have to wait and see.

Where in Canada?

Alberta or Saskatchewan: depends on where my girlfriend is working and how bad the Alberta housing bubble gets.

My Job is pretty recession proof.

Finnancial markets are one of the only ways that people can protect themselves from a downturn.

Being in construction I know how fragile my industry is. Out of work in the early 90's before returning to college, I found it very hard to get a foot back on the ladder. Now I am much better prepared for the worst. The thing is I just will not put up with it again- next time I'm off.

I am not sure to be honest if my job is safe recession or not. I work in law in the personal injury market and I think the PI boom is on the decline.

That said I could diversify into another area of law but we will have to wait and see.

Katherine,

The number of people 'smacking' EA's and Mortgage advisors when they realise that they have been conned will mean LOADS of work for you!!! Your well safe!

I am in labels. Printing labels for anything from Comfort, Persil, Cussons, Colgate etc. A lot of personal care products. And we are under a lot of strain already. We are getting no payrise this year and are under threat from Eastern Europe. So the answer is no. Like others on here - If I got made redundant if I did not find a job within 3 months I would be off-yer-popski meself!!

TB

Edited by teddyboy

I know I'm in for hard times with work being a self employed plasterer on domestic work. Its very evident that business is now not growing at the rate it was 12 months ago, which very much confirms what others have been saying regards domestic work. Its taken a little longer to catch up with me, in that its been within the last six weeks and a lot of the chaps are saying its been dead for 12 months.

It would appear that finally the money has started to run out in peoples pockets. I've had a number of people outside construction actually mention the word recession to me over the past few weeks. Give it 6 more months and the absence of spending must start to reflect more markedly in the wider economy. I don't know any sole traders at the moment who are doing particularly well.

Mind you, I'm not fussed, I've just bought myself a new violin, and that's a lovely way of spending time, well, it is when you have plenty of savings to see you through it all. This Nero will fiddle while Rome burns, because he can.

I work in a optician and whie it's true that there's always a demand for glasses both private and NHS it doesn't make my job safe.

My problem is my optician is in a supermarket and in hard times they tend to trim the fat and return to their core business of food/grocery.

Teaching is almost recession proof, infact, when unemployment is high birth rates increase, so although it will take 4 years to filter through to primary (where I am) we might actually need more teachers in a recession !

This happened in the late 90's when the bubble of children created in the late 80's/early 90's hit high school and the government cried out for teachers to educate them !

I obviously am not planning to be an EA for a minute longer than I have to so will return to my real career in about 5 years time or retrain, but I'm just wondering what everyone else does as I'm not sure i'll have a career to return to if we are correct about the crash.

Well to be honest, I work for BAE SYSTEMS and our export market is not dictated at all by the UK economy. The fast jet trainers we manufacture are for governments who have spare cash of course but we usually have our own ups and downs not usually in line with UK booms and busts. Its more in line with if we can get export orders.

Usually we have redundancies when the UK is booming and the vice versa is not uncommon.

Still it wont help the UK MoD don't finalise the Hawk Mk128 order. After that we need to be looking to countries like Greece, Thailand, Poland, Malaysia, Singapore, the middle east (always plenty of oil money around :)) and south america.

Edited by stormy

"so will return to my real career in about 5 years "

Do you think a job as an EA will last 5 years? ; Even 2 years?

The great think about being Self-Employed is: I have no job to lose.

Buy I must keep my business alive and thriving- survival is terrific motivator.

I doubt i'll last as an EA until the end of the year :lol: my real career is in IT but i can't see that being available either.

You could try self employment Terri

Then you can shape your own destiny

I'm not worried about the effects of a recession I'll think of some way of earning a living although I don't see too much problem for me (Food Safety Consultant)

Whatever you do just don't look over your shoulder you can never change decisions you've already made just learn from the mistakes

CS

Sad as it is i've only taken my current job for the maternity pay, a whopping £100 per week but as i've never claimed a thing in my life i want it ;)

I might go contracting again, who knows if we can buy a house for 3.5 x Mr T's salary i might just stay home and put my feet up.

I know I'm in for hard times with work being a self employed plasterer on domestic work. Its very evident that business is now not growing at the rate it was 12 months ago, which very much confirms what others have been saying regards domestic work. Its taken a little longer to catch up with me, in that its been within the last six weeks and a lot of the chaps are saying its been dead for 12 months.

It would appear that finally the money has started to run out in peoples pockets. I've had a number of people outside construction actually mention the word recession to me over the past few weeks. Give it 6 more months and the absence of spending must start to reflect more markedly in the wider economy. I don't know any sole traders at the moment who are doing particularly well.

Mind you, I'm not fussed, I've just bought myself a new violin, and that's a lovely way of spending time, well, it is when you have plenty of savings to see you through it all. This Nero will fiddle while Rome burns, because he can.

The thought of a plasterer, with a 'builders bum', playing a violin just makes me giggle :)

TB