House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prude

Death - Suitable Easter Topic

Ok for Dr B and others who want to debate something lets look at the assumptions that surround the retirement age ie. the ever increasing human life span and the amount of people that will be beyond retirement age.

I hope that people can bring some statistical links to this but this is how it seems to me ..

Retirement age increasing to 67 and then 70 on the basis that we are all living longer but the groups who are living longer are the people born in the upto the 1950's. It seems to me that these people benefitted as children and working adults from a much more active life, freedom to play as children, real food home cooked, 'real' jobs (many skilled manually based). Perversely they have benefitted from the poverty of the depression and war years by leading a life where they were (are) generally not over weight and self reliant and resourceful. They lived (and continue to live) in strong family units.

We have yet to test the post 1960's generations. How long will they live? The contrasts with the previous group could not be larger;

* Greater levels of reliance on the state.

* Huge levels of obesity

* Greater levels of as chronic illnesses such as asthma

* Massive levels of recreational drug use

* Massive levels of alchohol abuse

* Factory food - home cooking on the decline

* School sport in decline (sale of fields and Nat curr squeeze on anything that's not Maths/Eng)

* Parental fear - kids locked up instead of playing out

* exposure to increased pollution levels from vehicles

* Jobs that are sedentry and/or office based

* Ever increasing levels of mental illness and depression

* Kids addicted to playstations and anything with a screen

* Adults that do little but watch TV and mindless reality shows/soaps at that.

* The breakdown of the family as solid unit.

To correct all this the successful ones in society join a gym, walk on the treadmill and take a sauna. great.

I thnk there are even more negative factors that we could add but you get the picture.

So I believe that we will see declining life expectancy at some stage (20years away possibly). Setting the retirement age at 70 will seem so far out of reach .

I'm sure this is a massive simplification - but generally true. I bet they won't be as quick to bring down the retirement age as they are to put it up!

With nanotechnology every cell can be rebuilt at the molecular level. You would look and feel like an 18 year old.

:lol:

Assuming that this is possible :blink:

and that people can afford such treatment <_<

what will the retirement age will become ..?

I personally wouldn't bet on ever being able to "retire" if you are under thirty. But nanotechnology would also bring a cornucopia of wealth, so it might be that purposeful activity would only be for fun anyway.

(I think most pensions will just give you some of your money back in a lump sum in the end - the amount they haven't spent on lunch.)

Here's a transcipt of Presidential hopeful Al Gore discussing the impact of nanotechnology on macro government policies and the like with one of first people to posit it, Eric Drexler. It makes interesting reading.

Fascinating stuff - the article is largely concerned with the application of nanotech to production techniques and to provide technological advantage for countries within the world market place.

Whilst this is all well and good it is a complete red herring to think that the inadequacies of society and of the current generations can be solved by the prolonging of life through technological means.

So I believe that we will see declining life expectancy at some stage (20years away possibly). Setting the retirement age at 70 will seem so far out of reach .

I'm sure this is a massive simplification - but generally true. I bet they won't be as quick to bring down the retirement age as they are to put it up!

Wasn't there a recent study (within the last 6 months) that showed that the current generation of kids won't live as long as their parents. I'm sure it was a Radio 4 breakfast piece, and highlighted that poor diet, processed foods, lack of exercise and growing levels of obesity as the reasons.

Thinking aloud I fully expect pension ages to be raised to 70, life expectancy to drop to about 71 while at the same time the government will keep fudging CPI/RPI so that those inflation linked schemes won't actually cost that much in real terms. :ph34r:

With a HPC lowering RPI, it might allow the country to get out it's pension crisis technically - even if it does leave thousands poor.

As Micky Caine would say, not a lot of people know this but....

Nanotechnology deals with very tiny particles and its use in clothing has raised a cancer scare--people have been "digesting" products made by using nanotech that would have otherwise been filtered by the skin, lungs etc.

The fountain of youth might have to wait a while yet. :)

Wasn't there a recent study (within the last 6 months) that showed that the current generation of kids won't live as long as their parents. I'm sure it was a Radio 4 breakfast piece, and highlighted that poor diet, processed foods, lack of exercise and growing levels of obesity as the reasons.

Thinking aloud I fully expect pension ages to be raised to 70, life expectancy to drop to about 71 while at the same time the government will keep fudging CPI/RPI so that those inflation linked schemes won't actually cost that much in real terms. :ph34r:

With a HPC lowering RPI, it might allow the country to get out it's pension crisis technically - even if it does leave thousands poor.

If anyone knows a link I would be interested to read such a study.

I personally wouldn't bet on ever being able to "retire" if you are under thirty. But nanotechnology would also bring a cornucopia of wealth, so it might be that purposeful activity would only be for fun anyway.

(I think most pensions will just give you some of your money back in a lump sum in the end - the amount they haven't spent on lunch.)

Here's a transcipt of Presidential hopeful Al Gore discussing the impact of nanotechnology on macro government policies and the like with one of first people to posit it, Eric Drexler. It makes interesting reading.

This maniacal obsession with living well beyond ones natural cycle stuns me. I mean, aint it enough to live breed, support the next generation and die. That is what, after all, biologically we are here for. If your part of the rationalist movement then that is it - we are just self replicating machines... so why extend beyond our purpose???. But of course we have to keep inventing our own greater ego, to hide our frail id.

If you believe in god in the christian muslim jewish ways I guess you think we are here to worship the greater creator, but if you don't then Its one of the real anomolies of the godless age, that we who grew up with the rationale thought, are constantly trying to reinvent biological truth, and extend our biological meaning, but in the process where is going to be the space for healthy biological specimens who can reproduce further healthy biological specimens? "we always kill the things we love".

either way, there will be a point in the future where we will have the ability to live eternaly.

(if we live that long as a species).

either way. we will be long dead. like fallen sperm in the great race.

perhaps this is part of lifes evolutionary destiny. to replicate then expand into the solar system.

there is no point colonsing planets if we only live to 70yrs.

but one day, if unchecked. we will have the technology.

either way, there will be a point in the future where we will have the ability to live eternaly.

(if we live that long as a species).

either way. we will be long dead. like fallen sperm in the great race.

perhaps this is part of lifes evolutionary destiny. to replicate then expand into the solar system.

there is no point colonsing planets if we only live to 70yrs.

but one day, if unchecked. we will have the technology.

I guess my underlying point is, why the hell would you want to live to 150? We who are mostly not over 45 have only experience the first half of the show. I am sure that by the time the credits roll up it will all be so bloody repetitive!

So far I have personal knowledge of the recipients of the following deaths of under 45s (the ones that mattered enough for me to remember for one reason or another - some close, some not so close):

Instant death by car roll (22 years)

Shot to death by Neo-Nazi's (about 22 years)

Congential birth defects x 2 (8 months and 2 years)

HIV x 2 (33 years and about the same for the other)

Leukemia (45 years)

Heart attack (33 years)

I am a westerner, and I don't think this is a very extensive roll-call. But my point is...

Death is an integral part of life. Living involves risk. You can't fight nature! ... unless of course you are a benevolent neo-facist government with a H&S agenda the length of a toilet roll, a commitment to wrapping every citizen in cotton wool (life without experience is not life it is simply a poor parody) and a mystical belief in the ability of science to banish death.

I guess my underlying point is, why the hell would you want to live to 150?

its sort of a built in urge to survive rather than to be simply dead.

you can take your pick if you want. id rather stay here for a while longer.

call me from your dead hotel room with your dead beer and dead walks on the beach.

how about we have some dead sex ??

I suppose the reason is that people would be being upgraded and in perfect healthful clarity. Maybe if you were capable of new experiences, sensations, intelligent enough to create and comprehend mind-boggling works of art, it might be worth going on a bit longer.

Frankly, if I were 90 and as healthy as a youngster of 18 and someone offered as my evening's entertainment either being suffocated to death with a pillow, or spending it with some friends, going for a drive, watching a sunset and then an old film I think I'd take the second option. Living is just good.

We're overpopulted as it is.

Let's just do away with kids and all live forever ...

Shot to death by Neo-Nazi's (about 22 years)

:o:o If it's not too painful, do tell? Might be a useful counterpoint to all the BNP sympathisers on this site.....