House Price Crash Forum
IMupNorth

Yorkshire Prices

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-112...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Take a look at this one, just to give you bears a bit more hope.

Anyway this sold last August for £395k and its back on the market at £395k just 7 months later. So that must be the best price it can realistically go for, reality is it may go for a bit less.

Now, what with Stamp Duty, solicitors fee's, EAs fees + other moving costs, I think these poor people have just had to write off about £18k for the sake of moving somewhere to then move again.

If it sells for less than £395k, say £375k, then thats the best part of a £40k loss - ouch !

Now, I had a drive past this place last year out of interest and its next to a run down petrol garage, so the best I would have priced it at last year was £325-£350k. i think they were foolish paying £395k. I feel sorry that they may be looking at a large loss.

I'll keep an eye on it and let you know what happens.

Well now, have a look again at this house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-112...pa_n=8&tr_t=buy

Been on the market just a couple of weeks and they've decided to put the price UP £35k - so everything written above was complete tosh.

I am getting my own anecdotal evidence from looking at properties that the market is on fire in North Yorkshire. The above unfortunately doesn't suprise me one bit, having seen first hand whats going on.

Its actually just as bad as 2 years ago, with stuff selling within a couple of weeks and multiple offers being received.

The only hope is that this level of crazy house buying will force IRs up, but somehow I don't think it will as the BoE will stick to the line on inflation targetting only.

Just looking at a 2 bed flat for £164,950. It last sold in Jan 2003 for £95,000. You could buy it for £114,000 and they'd still have made £500/month on it. That's how I intend to illustrate to sellers why they should sell to me at hugely reduced prices...

1: Find out the 'last sold' price.

2: If it's below what I can afford offer something I can afford that's above the 'last sold' price.

3: When they reject my offer 'cause it's too low, point out how much they've made per month even if they sell for what I'm offering.

Been on the market just a couple of weeks and they've decided to put the price UP £35k - so everything written above was complete tosh.

I am getting my own anecdotal evidence from looking at properties that the market is on fire in North Yorkshire. The above unfortunately doesn't suprise me one bit, having seen first hand whats going on.

Its actually just as bad as 2 years ago, with stuff selling within a couple of weeks and multiple offers being received.

The only hope is that this level of crazy house buying will force IRs up, but somehow I don't think it will as the BoE will stick to the line on inflation targetting only.

I've posted on the main forum re: Sheffield prices. There's been a shift in the last few weeks and things are on their way up / stabilising (asking prices had definitely come down: one EA told me directly that last summer they reduced asking prices across the board by 5%). Each house in our chain had multiple offers and some went to sealed bids then to "best and final". Not the one I'm buying, I hasten to add.

WRT to what's a fair price, I look at the last sale price on land reg, ask how much the owner has spent and if the IRR (assuming that the spends were done 1 year into ownership) is less than what would have been achieved on the FTSE, then it seems like a fair price. This also doesn't price in the hassle factor experienced by the owner when replacing kitchens etc. Having just renovated another property, four weeks without a bathroom has to be worth something just so that I don't have to go through it again.

Here's an interesting one! The same flat for sale on one site and to rent on another!

For sale on Dacres – I can't make a direct link so click here and then click the word 'here' in the left column under property search. Enter the postcode BD16 4BG and it's the third one down in the results.

And here it is for rent on Rightmove!

There goes the neighbourhood...

Two new developments have been taking shape down Wyther Lane just down the road from me,

Maelstrom by Strata and something called Valley View, both in LS12.

Now its not a hideous neighbourhood, but is bordered by lots of chav housing and while I think it is OK to rent in...I was surprised to see local hoody joyriders (barely over 14) running an Astra estate up the wasteland burning out the clutch and then torching it in broad daylight. Apparently they were running it up and down the road since 1am.

I don't know what this does for developers tring to sell these things - but I tell you I am glad to be renting and able to leave at 1 months notice if this keeps up. If I had bought and this area starts turning into a warzone...

That will be the chavs out of Bramley Fall then.

I got speaking to a copper a few years ago about who was vandalising Kirkstall Abbey and he pointed the finger very strongly at the 'Fall' not Hawkworth as I thought. Still, the area is changing on the edges, a lot of investment into Kirkstall by The Bridge. The long planned Kirkstall Valley Park will improve the river from the brewery student flats down to the Vue/Virgin complex.

Frearsons have put a 3 bed semi on in Burn Bridge, Harrogate for £395k.!!!

I really think they have lost the plot!.

Those two new builds in Bramley/Armley, who in their right minds would pay the £150k+ they are asking for those, the whole geography of the estate encouranges miscreants into the new houses to cause mayhem. People who buy there seriously need their head testing, I hope it is full of BTLers who are going to get there balls roasted when the crash comes, will serve them right !

Those two new builds in Bramley/Armley, who in their right minds would pay the £150k+ they are asking for those, the whole geography of the estate encouranges miscreants into the new houses to cause mayhem. People who buy there seriously need their head testing, I hope it is full of BTLers who are going to get there balls roasted when the crash comes, will serve them right !

Its crazy. As I look out on them now, there isn't a single light on in them.

You're quite right about them being literally surrounded - it is unbelievable. I honestly don't know if there are even BTL'rs who would consider these with their 'new' premium. We shall see...

I am now seeing price drops in Huddersfield. Which seems funny with the 'boom time' around the corner.

Where are you seeing those drops?

I'm, out of the country at the moment so only see rightmove's prices but, in HD9 (holmfirth) they seem as strong, if not stonger, than ever!

Where are you seeing those drops?

I'm, out of the country at the moment so only see rightmove's prices but, in HD9 (holmfirth) they seem as strong, if not stonger, than ever!

737, he hasn't answered you because he can't back up his statements as a rule. He has regularly attacked me for using measurements and arguments to prove that hosue prices are not dropping and if anything have continued to go up in the Yorkshire area over the last couple of ye

Well, its that time of year and I thought I'd give you all a comparison of year to year figures from my own monitoring of property market in my part of North Yorkshire.

This is based on Rightmove stats within a 5 mile radius of where I live.

Last year 3rd Jan 05, average price of all houses was £223,224 and there were 202 houses listed

As of 2nd Jan 06, average price is £232,655 and there are 337 houses listed.

So thats a rise of 4.2% over the year - which seems roughly in line with what all the vested interest surveys tell us.

It could have been worse though !! - over Christmas a whole host of high end properties have been taken off and a whole extra load of low end properties were added as another EA advertised their properties on Rightmove. This knocked £5k off the average price between Xmas and New Year.

Just for your info - highest number of properties on market was 361 on 28th August 05 - and the highest price reached was £241,436 on 14th November after which prices slid a bit, but this is probably seasonal.

If last year was anything to go by, expect prices to start rising again in February !

I'll get back to you all probably end of Feb with an update.

Well its the end of March / early April - average price is now £224,157 - so let's tell it like it is and thats a £8k drop or 3.7%. Hope that keeps your hopes up dear bears. In fact since the high point of £241k in November its now down 7.2%.

The same week a year ago, the average price was £225,770. So down £1,600 or so - not much, but down nonetheless.

Looking at it, though, its seems that all of this has been caused by a relatively few high value houses selling, which knocks the market down disproportionately. I cannot detect any noticeable fall in like for like values.

Good news for the bears is that number of properties now stands at 353, up again, but to be expected at this time of year.

Anyway, thats enough of the numbers for now, I'll be back with an update after the spring bounce probably in June sometime.

Been to Castleford today to look at the 'Limelight' development by George Wimpey, it's on the back, of the massive Persimmon 'Willow Edge' development, am considering maybe buying there....however, that's not the thust of my question. On the Wimpey bit they have some nice 3 storey 3 bed town houses (Grantham) for £184,500, which I think is a fooking rip off. Wimpey have another developmet in Rothwell, much closer to Leeds and in my eyes a better area than Castleford, the same design (Grantham) is £187,500. does anyone else think there should be a bigger differential between Castleford and Rothwell ?

We are talking same house, same plot size, not much to distinguish between them.

What do you guys think ?

how would you know that ?(unless you were an estate agent) ;)

I think we have hit the nail on the head here. The last rate cut and recent reports of a upturn in the market has seen houses in kirklees, west yorkshire increase their asking prices but only houses in the 100-160k level. Others above this bracket are finding it hard to sell and have woken up to the fact that prices have had to moderate to get interest.

As a result the band between the housing price range has narrowed. You basically need 100k to even get a ticket to the house buying bonanza. Without that forget it. But once you are there the amount needed to move between a sh*thole dump and a nicer neighbourhood is very small. In other words cheaper properties are very expensive and have got more so whilst the higher bands have technically got cheaper and offer better value.

Therefore it can be concluded that the market is being driven in the lower price range with BTLs still (amazingly) buying, FTBs still (only just) committing financial suicide and the baby boomers downsizing to get a big fat wad of cash. But bear in mind that those downsizing are simply getting out! Hardly a recommendation to buy.

And annoyingly it is all these baby boomer generation fifty somethings who are telling me to buy. Cheeky sods...

That 2 bed town house on offer at 245K just before Xmas has come through to LR, it went for 240K.

See Land Reg ignore it saying flats they are all town houses. So Top price paid was 240K 2004, 227K 2005, 240K 2006.

And anotherone went on sale a fortnight ago @245K, just looked out of the window and it's got a S.S.T.C. on it.

An other grouping of simulare houses, but 3 bed, has a house for sale, last LR 2005 sale achieved was 235K. This one with the garage converted to a 4th bedroom is on @ 250K. It's in a crap position as it's righ up against a main road into the town centre, p*ss heads screaming and shouting, so just have to see how it goes on sales wise.

These house are always in demand with reasonably well off down sizing wrinklies. As you are virtualy two minutes walk into town, 4 minuets walk to the bus station, railway station and the supermarket.

Calling it how it is unfortueatley :rolleyes:

Wife told me of a work associate, young bloke in his 20's , his grandad dies leaving him some cash [amount not known] But it enables him to put down a decent deposit on a house with his girlfriend, that was 8/9 months ago. Now I believe it was on at around 125K but it was not shifting, and as there was no chain they were proccedable, so the vendor accepted 108K. See Land Reg

Anyway he is splitting from the GF, so they put it up for sale, they put a new kitchen in, and had their mates round for a painting party. Have been told the finish was on the rough side, bits of skirting missing and the like.

Anyway it goes one sale, and they get a buyer at asking of 137K within a week or two, more than likely another FTB, but canot swear to that. The House.

I know somebody who completes this Friday on a two bed with garage end of terrace of four [front and back gardens] West Yorks, was on at 135K, only managed to get 2K off asking.

OK not Yorkshire, but I know somebody who recently [a few months ago] bought a house in Burnley. A large proportion 3 bed [terrace I believe] They paid 70K, it was a house near finished re a house refurb, but I think the young couple doing it up run out of cash. It had had a new bathroom, kitchen, central heating, and rewired, it just needed decorating, carpeting and such. Now I know the vendor personally, and she knows how to "dress" a house for selling. Well it went on at an asking of 95K and they have been offered it, so they are well suited. In Burnley there are people walking around with75K in their pocket because of compulsary purchase and removal compensation being dished out by the council. So they were over the moon to get the asking price.

So there you are, I have come to the board with personally verifiable transactions on the market around North/West Yorkshire/ East Lancs that would appear to indicate the market is far from dead. And some would say it is indeed picking up, is it sustainable is anybodies guess. Of course four or five examples are just that, a small sample.

I do hope I have gained enough credability as a member who tells it as it is, I am a confirmed bear STR'ed , so please no accusations of Plant Plant Plant.

Am I still bearish? Yes, is the short answer, but I am not going to ignore a market if it does not fit in with my take on the way I see it going. Niether am I in the "I'm a Bear till I die" brigade because these prices are not fair or sustainable. As long as cheap money is avaliable, the powerful VI market and this government can keep this thing going for a while let. And it is only to be expected that the government will do all it can the avert a housing market crash. However I don't think the UK can stand in isolation when all about it rates rise and housing bubbles burst in foreign climes.

Edited by Catch22

Wife told me of a work associate, young bloke in his 20's , his grandad dies leaving him some cash [amount not known] But it enables him to put down a decent deposit on a house with his girlfriend, that was 8/9 months ago. Now I believe it was on at around 125K but it was not shifting, and as there was no chain they were proccedable, so the vendor accepted 108K. See Land Reg

Anyway he is splitting from the GF, so they put it up for sale, they put a new kitchen in, and had their mates round for a painting party. Have been told the finish was on the rough side, bits of skirting missing and the like.

Anyway it goes one sale, and they get a buyer at asking of 137K within a week or two, more than likely another FTB, but canot swear to that. The House.

I know somebody who completes this Friday on a two bed with garage end of terrace of four [front and back gardens] West Yorks, was on at 135K, only managed to get 2K off asking.

OK not Yorkshire, but I know somebody who recently [a few months ago] bought a house in Burnley. A large proportion 3 bed [terrace I believe] They paid 70K, it was a house near finished re a house refurb, but I think the young couple doing it up run out of cash. It had had a new bathroom, kitchen, central heating, and rewired, it just needed decorating, carpeting and such. Now I know the vendor personally, and she knows how to "dress" a house for selling. Well it went on at an asking of 95K and they have been offered it, so they are well suited. In Burnley there are people walking around with75K in their pocket because of compulsary purchase and removal compensation being dished out by the council. So they were over the moon to get the asking price.

So there you are, I have come to the board with personally verifiable transactions on the market around North/West Yorkshire/ East Lancs that would appear to indicate the market is far from dead. And some would say it is indeed picking up, is it sustainable is anybodies guess. Of course four or five examples are just that, a small sample.

I do hope I have gained enough credability as a member who tells it as it is, I am a confirmed bear STR'ed , so please no accusations of Plant Plant Plant.

Am I still bearish? Yes, is the short answer, but I am not going to ignore a market if it does not fit in with my take on the way I see it going. Niether am I in the "I'm a Bear till I die" brigade because these prices are not fair or sustainable. As long as cheap money is avaliable, the powerful VI market and this government can keep this thing going for a while let. And it is only to be expected that the government will do all it can the avert a housing market crash. However I don't think the UK can stand in isolation when all about it rates rise and housing bubbles burst in foreign climes.

Will you stop it please. You are depressing me....maybe I should just go out and get that 4x income property in Harehills....goodbye holidays....car...nights out....

Will you stop it please. You are depressing me....maybe I should just go out and get that 4x income property in Harehills....goodbye holidays....car...nights out....

I have numerous friends who bought in Harehills in the £30-60k range about four/five years ago. I thought it was a dicey move at those prices!

sorry TMTT, thought it best to get all the bad news out of the way in one lump. Tomorrow it's local property suppliments day, I'll report back. And remember by the same token I see stuff month after month that is not shifting. :)

I have numerous friends who bought in Harehills in the £30-60k range about four/five years ago. I thought it was a dicey move at those prices!

A work colleague who has lived in a B2B in Harehills for years - no mortgage, bought for 3 shillings - says that he is surprised the place is not full of yuppies with current house prices.

I know someone else who just bought a property for £65k spent about £10k doing it up and has just sold it (it was on the market a few weeks) for £85k to the Angel Group. They are well known for housing asylum seekers who have been disbursed around the country.

A work colleague who has lived in a B2B in Harehills for years - no mortgage, bought for 3 shillings - says that he is surprised the place is not full of yuppies with current house prices.

I know someone else who just bought a property for £65k spent about £10k doing it up and has just sold it (it was on the market a few weeks) for £85k to the Angel Group. They are well known for housing asylum seekers who have been disbursed around the country.

Ahh, those asylum seekers, where we as taxpayers pay for their rent. So just another way in which the hard working taxpayer pays for a load of people to live here free (who we don't need) and this money ends up going into the pockets of business men to buy up property aswell.

Yep, really makes sense this country doesn't it !!?? - its pathetic and its time for a change.

Goole - East Yorkshire

Charles Clegg Esq FRICS, Clegg & Son

“While stocks at the high price end are

increasing, stocks for lower prices are

significantly decreasing. The demand for lower

priced properties has considerably increased as

these are still drifting higher.”

Harrogate - North Yorkshire

S G Archer Esq BSc FRICS, Verity Frearson

“Instructions and sales have increased markedly

since Christmas and there has been a good start

to the year generally. Property priced correctly

for the market are selling well.”

Harrogate - Yorkshire

Tom Robinson Esq MRICS, Knight Frank

“Large numbers of potential buyers already

registered but vendors still waiting to launch in

the spring. Our advice is to bring your property

to the market now when there is less

competition and a greater chance of a premium

price being achieved. Country House market in

Yorkshire is likely to out perform the UK average.

36% of registered buyers are from outside the

region.”

Huddersfield - West Yorkshire

Alex McNeil Esq. MRICS, Bramleys

“Sales are around 25% up on the same period

last year with increased level of market activity

although there is not evidence of any significant

capital growth. The market is more or less

stable, with demand meeting supply.”

Ilkley - West Yorkshire

William Dale Esq MRICS, Dale Eddison

“Tremendous sales levels during the early part

of the month faded away once schools broke up

for half term and the market has yet to regain

it's early momentum.”

Bingley - West Yorkshire

Andrew Hodgson Esq FRICS, Dacre Son

& Hartley

“A good level of activity during

February but stock levels are high and a

buyer's market prevails with prices

basically stable.”

Bridlington - East Yorkshire

Richard J Graves Esq FRICS, D Dunk

Lewis & Graves

“A slow but steady start to the year.

Sales and enquiries are down but

hopefully spring and the better

weather will improve the outlook.”

Calderdale - Halifax

Alex McNeil Esq. MRICS, Bramleys

“After a slow start to the New Year

there has been an increasing number

of instructions and the market is now

stable. It is anticipated that as the year

progresses there will be an increased

level of transactions although it is not

anticipated that there will be any

significant capital growth.”

Doncaster - South Yorkshire

Mark Hunter Esq. MRICS, Grice &

Hunter

“Very significant imbalance between

the vast amount of property that is on

the market and the number of serious

buyers. In the last few weeks there has

been more activity for some properties

but this is generally restricted (as in

any 'normal' market) to those in the

better areas and which are both

sensibly priced and well presented.”

Knaresborough - North Yorkshire

John E Haigh Esq BSC MRICS FAAV, Lister &

Haigh

“Market activity is still slightly above

expectations.”

Market Weighton - York

Chris Clubley Esq FRICS CAAV, Chris Clubley

& Co.

“Tremendous increase in buyer enquiries

resulting in an increase in agreed sales. The

feeling of spring has come early!”

North Yorkshire - North Yorkshire

Malcolm Parker Esq MRICS, Joplings Estate

Agents

“The market is quite buoyant, particularly

at the lower end. New instructions are

attracting considerable interest and are

selling well. There is a general feeling that

the housing market has settled down.”

Richmond - North Yorkshire

Francis Brown Esq. FRICS, Norman F Brown

“Market showing encouraging signs of life

particularly at the bottom end. First time

buyers seem to have more confidence.”

Stokesley - North Yorkshire

Michael Westgarth-Taylor Esq. FRICS,

Sanderson Taylor Partnership

“February followed on where January left

off. An increasing number of viewings

which has led to an increased number of

sales. Prices have certainly not fallen. If

anything, they have risen marginally. There

is still a large number of properties on the

market, so purchasers have a wide choice - I

would expect this choice to narrow in the

next few months.”

Wakefield - West Yorkshire

D J Martindale Esq. MRICS, Abson Blaza

Property Services

“There has been a general increase in the

level of activity and enquiries during

February. People are now starting to ask

questions about H.I.P's etc. There's a

general concern in this area.”

Wetherby area - West Yorkshire

Ken Bird Esq BSc MRICS, Renton & Parr

“Very positive start to the year with five

record months of sales. Presently selling at

97% of asking prices on average and some

properties selling within days of coming to

the market. Now looking forward to a busy

spring market.”

York - North Yorkshire

Edward Waterson Esq. BSc FRICS, Carter

Jonas

“2006 has opened with the liveliest period

in the property market for nearly two years.

Instructions are up and prices are firm.”

York - Yorkshire

Nigel Naish Esq FRICS, Naish Estate Agents

& Solicitors Ltd

“Last months activity has continued and

interest remains strong for all categories.

The desire to "down-size" is being balanced

by those needing bigger houses. There is

definitely renewed confidence in the

housing market, yet buyers are not making

silly offers.”