HOLA441
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Bart of Darkness

Nice big kitchen, although a little characterless.

Why two shots of the kitchen and two of the fireplace?

Pleasant gardens to front and rear

Rear maybe, but nothing at all at the front (not even weeds).

Edited by Bart of Darkness

HOLA444

Pulled up to my local traffic lights in Harrogate the other day.! Small poster stuck on traffic light, looked a bit closer and it was only a HPC flyer.!!!!!

Could say it tickled me a bit, must have another bear in my area.!!

Lou..

HOLA445

Here i am again with another 'shocking' headline from the Halifax Evening Courier:-

http://www.halifaxcouriertoday.co.uk/ViewA...ticleID=1083507

Headline "You can't afford to live here"

"At least two out of three families in Calderdale cannot afford to buy a simple terrace house or flat..."

It makes me laugh that underneath the headline there is another story about how the sale of a local old high school building has fallen through as the negotiations with the property developer wishing to turn it into "executive" apartments didnt move quickly enough....

mmm cold feet eh??

Surely people other than subscribers to this site can see what is coming???

HOLA446
Here i am again with another 'shocking' headline from the Halifax Evening Courier:-

http://www.halifaxcouriertoday.co.uk/ViewA...ticleID=1083507

Headline "You can't afford to live here"

"At least two out of three families in Calderdale cannot afford to buy a simple terrace house or flat..."

It makes me laugh that underneath the headline there is another story about how the sale of a local old high school building has fallen through as the negotiations with the property developer wishing to turn it into "executive" apartments didnt move quickly enough.... 

mmm cold feet eh??

Surely people other than subscribers to this site can see what is coming???

Good article, front page too!

HOLA447
Good article, front page too!

Dont know what the average reader will read into it though, if you are the reader sat in your house (surrounded by your newly financed wide screen tv/dvd etc etc)that you think has doubled in value and that you have 'made' so much money on then you would maybe have a laissez faire attitude to the situation...

probably doesnt even cross peoples minds that somethings got to give..everyone i speak to always say they dont think prices will go down much, what do you do (apart from rent!!! :) )?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Just had an instruction to do a building survey on a house in Greater London for a couple moving from York. Client told me they'd taken a hit on their Victorian house in York having bought it for £270,000 just a year ago (having to move for family reasons). Difficulty in selling, now sold at £259,000. Didn't realise things were unravelling that quickly up there.

HOLA4410
Dont know what the average reader will read into it though, if you are the reader sat in your house (surrounded by your newly financed wide screen tv/dvd etc etc)that you think has doubled in value and that you have 'made' so much money on then you would maybe have a laissez faire attitude to the situation...

probably doesnt even cross peoples minds that somethings got to give..everyone i speak to always say they dont think prices will go down much, what do you do (apart from rent!!! :) )?

Actually, I thought that the average FTB might read it and panic 'Need to get on the ladder at all costs', that was my worry.

I read it and think 'can only go one way from here but I suppose I am in the minority..

HOLA4411
Actually, I thought that the average FTB might read it and panic 'Need to get on the ladder at all costs', that was my worry.

I read it and think 'can only go one way from here but I suppose I am in the minority..

I know what you are saying Leeds-Bozz and the trouble is the banks still lend at stupid multiples, I suppose the question is when to we get to the point that FTB simple cannot get on to the ladder at all costs as there is just nothing and nowhere available with the stupid prices...When I see sstc going up i wonder just WHO is buying and HOW?

HOLA4412

Speaking to an Estate Agent/Surveyor today during a valuation I sat in on. He admitted that if the market did not correct after this last boom, it would be the first time ever that had happened. And he doubted that much vaunted scenario would in reality happen. And whilst trying to be positive re the market, he did admit it was in for a few hard years [3 to 4 in his opinion] And that if vendors did not wake up to the reality of the current market they will not get a sale and be forever chasing the market down.

Up shot of the valuation was, he came in at 190 to 195k whilst the vendor had what they thought was a quick sale expectation of 220K. He knew he would be up against other valuations, but he was adamant over 200K would kill it. And he urged that it was put to the market ASP with whoever.....says it all really.

Edited by Catch22

HOLA4413

It's come around again, Fridays local paper day, and on the front page of the property section we have a centre page new build up market development [new offer not updated on agents web page as of yet]

5% deposit paid, Stamp duty paid, Legal fees paid Plus part exchange available

Next to this advert is one for 5 new "superior" Mews homes in another village. Two have had sold stickers on them for months and months. But I know them well [on the road that led to our house prior to us selling it in March] and suspect the sold stickers are just a ploy.

Same village same paper, under the "Letting section" And not under a builders banner, just a mobile number to ring. New three bed two bath town houses available immediately. Central location with private courtyard parking £595 pcm Another local building firm struggling to sell their mill conversion apartments and new build canal side town houses.

Slowly but surely this market is unraveling, and it will be led as usual by builders wanting to off load stock. They have lived high on the hog these past few years, but they know a crumbling market when it smacks them across the face like a wet smelly kipper. :ph34r:

Edited by Catch22

HOLA4414

End town house

Two bedrooms plus conservatory

Central heating and double glazing

White bathroom suite with spa bath

Landscaped garden enjoying privacy

Allocated parking spaces

27 The Close, Skipton,

2 bedrooms offers in the region £145,000 UNDER OFFER

This was sold for 142K recorded @ HM Land Registary on 15th December 2004. Be interesting to see if this goes to completion and at what price. Taking fees into consideration and Stamp duty paid on purchase it looks like it will be a no profit sale.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415

Small Breakthrough:

In Leeds seeing a few small pricecuts here and there and general standoff, just thought I wld report this particular drop:

http://www.hendys.co.uk/residential_sales/.../100003100.html

a house that's been on market for about 12months with Hendys notoriously highpriced estate agents for LS7/LS17 has dropped price from 119K to 110k, peeps finally getting the message... wonder what this house will finally go for? :ph34r::unsure:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Small Breakthrough:

In Leeds seeing a few small pricecuts here and there and general standoff, just thought I wld report this particular drop:

a house that's been on market for about 12months with Hendys notoriously highpriced estate agents for LS7/LS17 has dropped price from 119K to 110k, peeps finally getting the message... wonder what this house will finally go for? :ph34r:  :unsure:

To be honest it looks pretty well priced for Alwoodley, possibly the flat roof may be an issue though.

What soort of rental yield would it fetch I wonder? Perhaps around £550 pcm?

Edited by 737

HOLA4418
To be honest it looks pretty well priced for Alwoodley, possibly the flat roof may be an issue though.

What soort of rental yield would it fetch I wonder? Perhaps around £550 pcm?

this is council estate bit of alwoodley nr sainsburys pretty well positioned tho, must be the riviera style roof putting people off, not a good design for our British weather...the 3 bed council houses next to it pproper roofs have asking prices circa 119k.

bout your rental comment, that's part of what got us into this mess in the first place, too much BTL, what about people wanting houses to bring up families in! :blink:

HOLA4419

Here's news about respossessions:

http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/bradford__...BRAD_NEWS2.html

Threats to home owners soaring

by Caroline Wright

Almost three homes are under threat of being repossessed every day in Bradford.

First-time buyers and borrowers are over-reaching themselves in an uncertain market.

The number of people who face losing their homes through severe money problems has soared by half in the district, according to new figures.

Mortgage lenders launched 256 attempts to repossess homes in the city between April and June, compared to 170 in the same period last year.

From January to March, the courts imposed 61 home repossession orders, compared to 57 in the same period in 2004.

These gave mortgage lenders - banks, building societies and private firms - permission to seize more properties.

And 95 repossession orders were suspended (where a home owner is given time to pay off debts and keep up with mortgage payments). This was against 77 a year earlier.

Consumer Minister and Bradford South MP Gerry Sutcliffe, defended the Government's economic policy, saying interest rates were at their lowest for 30 years.

And he said the Government was urging lenders and borrowers to be responsible.

He said: "We are trying to encourage responsible lending but people should also not over-stretch themselves. We would say banks and building societies should give people ample chance to repay their debts. Repossessions are nowhere near as bad as under the Tories in the Nineties."

Andy Taylor, chief executive of Bradford Citizens' Advice Bureau, said increasing numbers of people were asking for debts advice.

"People are overstretching themselves. Early intervention, seeking advice as soon as possible, should prevent a repossession situation," he said.

Mortgage lenders and landlords were getting tougher and less reasonable when people fell behind with repayments.

" They do not need to go to the courts. Very often they can get their money without going that far. We would help draw up a financial plan" Anyone with difficulties can contact the CAB on (01274) 201919.

The statistics prompted a warning that back-to-back interest rate rises were beginning to bite. The Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee increased rates five times between November 2003 and last August.

Rises have aimed to cool an over-priced housing market, leading to many first-time buyers overstretching themselves to get on the property ladder.

Nationally, the number of repossession actions initiated has jumped by 52 per cent. A total of 28,476 were started and 8,554 orders granted.

The figures released by the Department of Constitutional Affairs do not reveal the actual number of repossessions - even after an order has been made, a person can still settle debts.

A Tory spokesman said: "This lays bare the Government's failing economic policy."

HOLA4420
Small Breakthrough:

a house that's been on market for about 12months with Hendys notoriously highpriced estate agents for LS7/LS17 has dropped price from 119K to 110k, peeps finally getting the message... wonder what this house will finally go for? :ph34r:  :unsure:

wow! I've just had another epiphany... look at those ones on the Miles Hill Estate - £110k plus!!!

that area is rough as f**k - and I mean really rough. A truly vile place filled with all kinds of sociopaths.

a friend of mine bought there 6yrs ago for less than 30k. I thought that was too much.

HOLA4421
Here's news about respossessions:

http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/bradford__...BRAD_NEWS2.html

Threats to home owners soaring

by Caroline Wright

Almost three homes are under threat of being repossessed every day in Bradford.

First-time buyers and borrowers are over-reaching themselves in an uncertain market.

The number of people who face losing their homes through severe money problems has soared by half in the district, according to new figures.

Mortgage lenders launched 256 attempts to repossess homes in the city between April and June, compared to 170 in the same period last year.

From January to March, the courts imposed 61 home repossession orders, compared to 57 in the same period in 2004.

These gave mortgage lenders - banks, building societies and private firms - permission to seize more properties.

And 95 repossession orders were suspended (where a home owner is given time to pay off debts and keep up with mortgage payments). This was against 77 a year earlier.

Consumer Minister and Bradford South MP Gerry Sutcliffe, defended the Government's economic policy, saying interest rates were at their lowest for 30 years.

And he said the Government was urging lenders and borrowers to be responsible.

He said: "We are trying to encourage responsible lending but people should also not over-stretch themselves. We would say banks and building societies should give people ample chance to repay their debts. Repossessions are nowhere near as bad as under the Tories in the Nineties."

Andy Taylor, chief executive of Bradford Citizens' Advice Bureau, said increasing numbers of people were asking for debts advice.

"People are overstretching themselves. Early intervention, seeking advice as soon as possible, should prevent a repossession situation," he said.

Mortgage lenders and landlords were getting tougher and less reasonable when people fell behind with repayments.

" They do not need to go to the courts. Very often they can get their money without going that far. We would help draw up a financial plan" Anyone with difficulties can contact the CAB on (01274) 201919.

The statistics prompted a warning that back-to-back interest rate rises were beginning to bite. The Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee increased rates five times between November 2003 and last August.

Rises have aimed to cool an over-priced housing market, leading to many first-time buyers overstretching themselves to get on the property ladder.

Nationally, the number of repossession actions initiated has jumped by 52 per cent. A total of 28,476 were started and 8,554 orders granted.

The figures released by the Department of Constitutional Affairs do not reveal the actual number of repossessions - even after an order has been made, a person can still settle debts.

A Tory spokesman said: "This lays bare the Government's failing economic policy."

Thanks for posting this one B&B, it makes for interesting stuff..I wonder what the ratio of earnings to house prices is in Bradford? They are going to be very busy at the CAB with all those people who have borrowed 5x their salary..

HOLA4422
Thanks for posting this one B&B, it makes for interesting stuff..I wonder what the ratio of earnings to house prices is in Bradford? They are going to be very busy at the CAB with all those people who have borrowed 5x their salary..

I think its approx 4-5x at least. According to the surveys, bradford's average house prices are approx 70k LOL...YEAH RIGHT...maybe for a rundown end of bradford, but not reasonable areas.

Are you from bradford? If so, which are of bradford?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
I think its approx 4-5x at least.  According to the surveys, bradford's average house prices are approx 70k LOL...YEAH RIGHT...maybe for a rundown end of bradford, but not reasonable areas.

Are you from bradford? If so, which are of bradford?

I'm from Halifax not so far away, I expected that the earnings in Bradford would be low, as with all these industrial northern towns, all the manufacturing industries are dying and being replaced with call centres (although even the call centres are going overseas..). Still, it leaves all the mills empty to be turned into 'luxury apartments' that no-one can afford/wants to live in .. :unsure: I read something in the Sunday paper a couple of months ago about some trendy design company from Manchester converting one of the mills and how it would be the start of big things for Bradford? has it come to fruition?

HOLA4425

Well, I thought I'd add an update of prices in my area. I last reported May 21st and since then the average asking price of houses on the market has gone up from £228k to £231k, so thats a rise of 1.3% in 2 and half months.

Number of houses on the market 5 mile radius of where I live is now 325 as of this week and has crept up a bit in the last 2 months of so.

I'm seeing very few reductions at the moment and this has been the case for a couple of months now. Seems like total stagnation - sales are still going through but at the bottom end of the market. Above £300k is dead, completely, in fact I don't think I've seen a single house sell in the last 2 months. But still nearly no-one is dropping prices - clearly there are no forced sellers out there and no one needs to drop the price. End result is no house price crash.