House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Possibility Of Retail Collapse Being Weighed This Weekend

well im doing my bit as usual

buying absolutely nothing

ive no real use for anything

and i aint been in a shopping centre or high street since 1992

You haven't been near a shopping centre or high street since 1992? Do you have really long hair and beard, wear no clothes, and live in a cave?

Billy Shears

Guest Winners and Losers

My local Homebase was as dead as a dodo. Where are all the DIY renovators???? The ONE girl on the check out was busy looking for split ends in her hair!!

I'm afraid the UK has been renovated to the eyeballs and the nations love affair with property is OVER.

My local Homebase was as dead as a dodo. Where are all the DIY renovators???? The ONE girl on the check out was busy looking for split ends in her hair!!

I'm afraid the UK has been renovated to the eyeballs and the nations love affair with property is OVER.

Keep repeating the mantra.

You were in there - or do you work there?

Guy I play cards with runs a skip company, just ordered 50 new skips to keep up with demand.

Guy I play cards with runs a skip company, just ordered 50 new skips to keep up with demand.

They are going to be let out to people who want to throw out the remains of the crap DIY job that knocked 50K of the value of their houses.

Seriously though, look at BBC ceefax this morning. Theres a page on "Easter shopping Bonanza Expected". Reading it, it's all prediction and hope by some Centre for something or other. Nothing to do with actual sales or on-the-spot sentiment.

Is this some sort of spin masquerading as 'news'? I'm sure this sort of prediction didn't used to happen. All I remember was results after the fact.

Perhaps they're desperate.

LB

Car sales this weekend will be interesting. If the sales are not good expect by the end of the month to see lots of adverts on the TV and in the Press for car deals.

When I went into Stratford on Saturday to walk around and observe that the 6 big EAs did not have a single customer I was able to find free parking on Car Dealer Avenue. Very unusual to find parking on the busiest Saturday of the year for car sales. All the dealers appeared to be very quiet including Toyota and Honda where I did not see a single customer--this was about 11 a.m. in the morning!

I wonder if people are beginning to realise the horror of their debts and the news about unemployment creeping up has got the herd spooked? Its a fragile house bubble that is for sure.

A lot of ads on TV with discounts still going on for DIY. People are scared of debt, war, unemployment. Sentiment has turned very bearish lately. And most of the women's dresses in M & S are long!

Well, something strange is happening this weekend for sure.

This has got to be the FIRST time ever, that I have seen supermarkets running out of easter eggs the saturday before Easter.

This is normally when I buy all my easter eggs. But this year, Tesco's in town and Waitrose all had run out. We had to go to the large out of town Tesco's, and then we only had a choice of a couple of £6 eggs with toys in.

Very strange indeed. Anyone else have this experience?

Somerfield in Headlingley sold out before Thursday lunchtime. Odd.

I saw an advert on the telly for a kitchen. The ad said "This could cost you up to £25,000. But we'll do it for £9999 installation included" (or words to that effect).

I just p!shed myself laughing. Who would spend £10k on a kitchen never mind £25k!? Most of the numpties that buy this rubbish probably only use the microwave anyway!

NDL

Yes I saw that too. The advert should have read "We'll do this kitchen for £9999, so this kitchen could cost you up to £9999. That's how markets work folks. Don't let anyone tell you the kitchen is worth 25K, because we are doing it for 10K. That means, the price is 10K. You can apply this simple principle to houses. For example, if somebody says their house is worth £400K, but after 18 months it still hasn't sold for that, then it's not worth 400K".

Well, something strange is happening this weekend for sure.

This has got to be the FIRST time ever, that I have seen supermarkets running out of easter eggs the saturday before Easter.

This is normally when I buy all my easter eggs. But this year, Tesco's in town and Waitrose all had run out. We had to go to the large out of town Tesco's, and then we only had a choice of a couple of £6 eggs with toys in.

Very strange indeed. Anyone else have this experience?

Maybe the shops had simply ordered fewer eggs to avoid a price war. BBC News reports how this strategy has worked in previous years

I know you actually work as an agent provocateur for a higher power, the Third Man told me, he's trying to bring about the downfall of the Forth Estate by building the Fifth Column. I have a Sixth sense.

:lol::lol:

"Retailers are hoping for..."

I bet they are :lol:

who actually writes these BBC articles? They never seem to have a name to them.

Edited by BTman

has our countrys economy become so pecarious that even the slightest stoppage of pointless bank holiday debt spending will collapse everything.

have we really been led this deep into the mire..?

were we blinded by happy housprices......

Keep repeating the mantra.

You were in there - or do you work there?

Guy I play cards with runs a skip company , just ordered 50 new skips to keep up with demand.

Yeah, sounds like a poker face to me.

Tell me, does he continually win all your money too with his bluffing?

NDL

Guest Bart of Darkness

Is this really a story?

Easter shopping bonanza expected

Retailers are hoping

Hey, I'm hoping to have sex in a hot tub with three 18 year old blonde triplets (someday :) ). A really fantastic time is expected.

Do you think the BBC will run a "story" about that on their website?

Is this really a story?

Easter shopping bonanza expected

Retailers are hoping

Hey, I'm hoping to have sex in a hot tub with three 18 year old blonde triplets (someday :) ). A really fantastic time is expected.

Do you think the BBC will run a "story" about that on their website?

Why are unsubstantiated predictions and speculations 'news' anyway?

"Shoppers would also be feeling richer because take home pay is 3.7% higher in March 2006 compared to the same month in 2005."

I couldn't stop laughing! We're all richer... yay... Except living costs have increased way beyond that. Oh well. At least make them 'feel' richer..

Edited by Jason

I was in Worcester this weekend, and things did not seem busy at all. Mind you, I bought two cafe mochas and a sandwich in a coffee emportium, which probably created a spring bounce for retailers at about 2pm.