House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Possibility Of Retail Collapse Being Weighed This Weekend

http://thebusinessonline.com/Stories.aspx?...2E-D07EB5AA1CEE

Easter retail profit warning fear

By Rupert Steiner

16 April 2006

WITH Easter being a make-or-break weekend for retailers, the British Retail Consortium is warning of a retail profits collapse if shoppers do not spend at least £5bn (E7.2bn, $8.7bn) extra on clothing and DIY products.
Easter is traditionally the second biggest shopping weekend of the year after Christmas, with most of the cash going on home improvement and big-ticket garden products.
But this year clothing retailers are depending on customers buying their summer ranges at Easter because sales have so far been poor owing to the cold weather. It was still snowing in Kent and parts of Britain last week.
This has prompted many clothing retailers to launch heavily reduced Easter sales, with
House of Fraser offering up to 75% off certain products.

Don't be surprised if the economy starts to run downhill very rapidly after this Easter period passes. The prospects for a house selling panic seem to be improvig a little.

http://thebusinessonline.com/Stories.aspx?...2E-D07EB5AA1CEE

Easter retail profit warning fear

By Rupert Steiner

16 April 2006

WITH Easter being a make-or-break weekend for retailers, the British Retail Consortium is warning of a retail profits collapse if shoppers do not spend at least £5bn (E7.2bn, $8.7bn) extra on clothing and DIY products.
This is the first time I have heard of patriotism and scare tatics to force people to use their credit cards. Before you know it, us savers and debit card users will be branded traitors and sent to Guantanamo.

Well if yesterday and today are anything to go by where I live, everyone is around walking but not spending, shops and stores are deserted.

Watch the headlines next week, "Weather too nice for shopping"

This weekend is really going to hurt them badly, especially with any of the big stores over 3000sq feet having to close for one of the days.

:unsure:

I saw an advert on the telly for a kitchen. The ad said "This could cost you up to £25,000. But we'll do it for £9999 installation included" (or words to that effect).

I just p!shed myself laughing. Who would spend £10k on a kitchen never mind £25k!? Most of the numpties that buy this rubbish probably only use the microwave anyway!

NDL

Guest Guy_Montag

Walked past my local (Lord/Sir) Reg Vardy, to see all the salesmen standing about in the sun. To be honest I've never seen it so quiet. Mind you, I wouldn't go car shopping on such a lovely day (or give money to someone who sponsors city acadamies so he can get them to teach cretanism).

*delete as applicable.

Well, something strange is happening this weekend for sure.

This has got to be the FIRST time ever, that I have seen supermarkets running out of easter eggs the saturday before Easter.

This is normally when I buy all my easter eggs. But this year, Tesco's in town and Waitrose all had run out. We had to go to the large out of town Tesco's, and then we only had a choice of a couple of £6 eggs with toys in.

Very strange indeed. Anyone else have this experience?

Guest Guy_Montag

This has got to be the FIRST time ever, that I have seen supermarkets running out of easter eggs the saturday before Easter.

This is normally when I buy all my easter eggs. But this year, Tesco's in town and Waitrose all had run out. We had to go to the large out of town Tesco's, and then we only had a choice of a couple of £6 eggs with toys in.

****, I'm seeing my family next weekend, thought I would pick up cheap eggs on Monday or Tuesday. :(

I honestly haven't seen that many easter eggs on sale at all. I just assumed it was part of the great British supply chain non-entity. But I have a feeling people are feeling more religious this Easter. Don't know why but it feels more like a religous observance and less like a roman festival than normal. Not many people taking advantage of the piggy back Bank Holidays to go on holidays that I know of either.

I honestly haven't seen that many easter eggs on sale at all. I just assumed it was part of the great British supply chain non-entity. But I have a feeling people are feeling more religious this Easter. Don't know why but it feels more like a religous observance and less like a roman festival than normal. Not many people taking advantage of the piggy back Bank Holidays to go on holidays that I know of either.

I think you're right about the religious thing.

I was driving through a local village on Friday, and there were a procession of people carrying a large wooden crucifix somewhere!

I seemed to see easter eggs everywhere I looked. Was in town yesterday midday or so, and the stores that I went into that would have had eggs, had lots of them. Wasn't particularly looking for them.

Billy Shears

This is the first time I have heard of patriotism and scare tatics to force people to use their credit cards. Before you know it, us savers and debit card users will be branded traitors and sent to Guantanamo.

How dare you try and talk down the economy and defy unreality, are you a tory mole trying to bring about recession? Lowest interest rates in 400 years, quack, quack. :)

How dare you try and talk down the economy and defy unreality, are you a tory mole trying to bring about recession? Lowest interest rates in 400 years, quack, quack. :)

Well so far BB you have at times effectively accused me of being both a NuLab mole and a Tory mole. Quack quack indeed :lol::lol::lol:

Well so far BB you have at times effectively accused me of being both a NuLab mole and a Tory mole. Quack quack indeed :lol::lol::lol:

I know you actually work as an agent provocateur for a higher power, the Third Man told me, he's trying to bring about the downfall of the Forth Estate by building the Fifth Column. I have a Sixth sense.

Same here. Nothing in Waitrose, Woolworths, or even Somerfields.. and overheard lots of people asking staff if they had any.

I wonder if people just left it late knowing that they should be able to pick a few up cheaply on Saturday (after all by Monday they are in effect "out of date").. whilst the supermarkets thought there wasn't much demand and got less supplies in, only for everyone to be caught out today.

Personally I don't normally buy any.. unless they are at a bargin price (normally on the monday) I might pick one or two up - doesn't look like that will happen this year :angry:

Cheshire Oaks near Chester was heaving today, not Christmas type heaving but certainly very busy for a Saturday and I must admit I've bought all our summer clothes today and bought a couple of big ticket items, starting to feel guilty now.

Edited by terrified

I know you actually work as an agent provocateur for a higher power, the Third Man told me, he's trying to bring about the downfall of the Forth Estate by building the Fifth Column. I have a Sixth sense.

Is all true :D

Given that its Easter I feel like their is a joke about the Second Coming in here somewhere... but I really can't think what it is :(

Cheshire Oaks near Chester was heaving today, not Christmas type heaving but certainly very busy for a Saturday and I must admit I've bought all our summer clothes today and bought a couple of big ticket items, starting to feel guilty now.

I'm doing my bit to compound the retail recession. 2005 total spending was £1200 lower than 2004, and this year I'm set to lessen it by another 2k. Once you get into the swing of saving it becomes almost second nature. Indeed I regret only one thing this year - I bought a shirt for £40 in the January sales. Why????

Anyway the retail slump is going far more smoothly than the HPC. I'm bearish on Next, French Connection, BHS is doing terribly, car dealerships, DIY - the list is endless. I'm taking great pleasure in seeing the retailers up against it.

I urge all HPCers to think twice before purchasing these "big ticket items" - do you REALLY need it and will it make you happier. Remember, retail spending pushes up GDP and we don't want that.

Edited by shermanator

This has prompted many clothing retailers to launch heavily reduced Easter sales, with House of Fraser offering up to 75% off certain products.

Chortle - was in House of Fraser on Oxford Street today and can confirm that the 75% was off all their shi* stuff. The shops were heaving but not much buying going on from what I could see. GAP seems to be trying to give stuff away. I was actually trying to buy a new coat today but couldn't get one in the sale. Could have bought a purple tank top or a lime green t shirt though at 75% off (managed to resist though)

i posted on another thread about the truth behind the BRC figures - we are spending more than ever, just in the wrong places - the BRC's members expected the boom to go on indefinitely and expanded accordingly - just because its members don't make massive profits doesn't mean their is a collapse in sales - saying it is is the BRCs usual way of trying to get a rate cut - even the members of the MPC aren't that stupid (well, the majority of them i hope)

Chortle - was in House of Fraser on Oxford Street today and can confirm that the 75% was off all their shi* stuff. The shops were heaving but not much buying going on from what I could see. GAP seems to be trying to give stuff away. I was actually trying to buy a new coat today but couldn't get one in the sale. Could have bought a purple tank top or a lime green t shirt though at 75% off (managed to resist though)

How decadent have we become as a nation if shopping is now a leisure activity? Why don't people play some sport, go to the gym, read, do some gardening, go to the cinema etc &c.

Our ancestors built a great Empire with hard work, thrift, morals. How fortunate they're not around to see these slobs going around Bluewater and the rest.

Boy, I'm looking forward to when the recession really bites and these people will have to enrich their bodies/souls instead of spending on tat.

I generally like America and its inhabitants but when I see these overweight morons going around shopping malls, it makes me feel quite ill.

Edited by shermanator

well im doing my bit as usual

buying absolutely nothing

ive no real use for anything

and i aint been in a shopping centre or high street since 1992

Easter is traditionally the second biggest shopping weekend of the year after Christmas, with most of the cash going on home improvement and big-ticket garden products.

My current day-job incarnation has me sharing an office with some staff from one of the major DIY retailers in the UK. I'll report back here on Tuesday night as to how the mood is, and from that we'll know how well the easter weekend has gone for the retailers.

I bought a bucket and sponge to wash my car with. So that was probably half the weekend's profit at the local Homebase.

i posted on another thread about the truth behind the BRC figures - we are spending more than ever, just in the wrong places - the BRC's members expected the boom to go on indefinitely and expanded accordingly - just because its members don't make massive profits doesn't mean their is a collapse in sales - saying it is is the BRCs usual way of trying to get a rate cut - even the members of the MPC aren't that stupid (well, the majority of them i hope)

That's true, the YoY headline growth is good at around 5%, but they prefer their "like for like" measure which includes all that over expanded floorspace, and when you expand capacity at >5% guess what, the growth is just spread evenly across a greater number of stores.

Somebody pissed on the magic MEW tree.