House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Romford

Anyone with experience of living in Romford. Also, what have prices been doing? I am trying to find locations with reasonable access to London but at sensible prices. Romford appears to be one of these areas, but I have no experience of living in East or North East London. Any comments would be appreciated.

Anyone with experience of living in Romford. Also, what have prices been doing? I am trying to find locations with reasonable access to London but at sensible prices. Romford appears to be one of these areas, but I have no experience of living in East or North East London. Any comments would be appreciated.

Hi jem,

i'm in the process of buying aplace in romford, born in the area although have lived in other parts of london through the years (28 now). I'm getting a 3 bed victorian semi for 203500.

Been watching the market for a few years and house prices havent much changed although flat prices have gone up. alongside this,, there has been LOADS of flat developments going on, with at least 3 major ones going on at the moment. These are around 180k+ and a just over priced hutchs, not really my type of place. If you give me an idea of budget or size of house i'll give you an idea of the best kind of places, but the rule is : 1 bed houses 130-170, 2 beds 170-200 3 beds 190 - 230 4 beds 230-280. alot of the places are postr war although there is edwardian and victorian places around

as far as quality of life, that depends on what you look for. It does deserve its reputation somewhat as an essex girl/man hangout and suffers from having a lot of pubs/clubs in the centre with the trouble associated with it. On the plus side it has a great deal of shops with 4 different shopping centres/areas all within walking distance. transport is great with fast trains taking 18 mins to liverpool street.

Your best bet to see if you like it is to come down on sat afternoon and stay till around 8-9. you can then get a feel for the place before and after dark and see if its the place for you. the surrounding areas of gidea park and hornchurch is generally nicer, and if you willing to go a bit further out then shenfield has 23 mins journey to liverpool street and is a surrounded by parks and countryside although the price is a bit more.

why did i choose romford? it suits me that i can go shopping on a sat for food / clothes, see friends/family etc then in 30 mins i can be out in london to go out in the evening.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Just stay out of the Town Centre Friday and Saturday nights. Do not expect to get a good response from the emergency services if you need them except the Fire Service during these periods, as the other services are desperately overstretched. :(

Hi jem,

i'm in the process of buying aplace in romford, born in the area although have lived in other parts of london through the years (28 now). I'm getting a 3 bed victorian semi for 203500.

This is very helpful thanks. I have taken your advice and remained in Romford on a Saterday evening, not very attractive, but the positives seem to me to outway the negatives. Could you please let me know what areas to avoid and the areas which are most attractive in Romford. Many thanks again,

if your looking for somewhere near the station, then rm1 and rm11 postcodes are your best bet for 2/3 beds with a bit of character. with these going around the 190 - 210K mark. its still a sellers market though and the nicer ones come an go within a week or two. some roads include douglas road, craigdale rd, clydsdale rd, alandale rd, park lane and some of the roads off of these. I'm buying on allandale and takes about 7 mins to walk to the station. the door to door journey to my work in bond street is under an hour.

This is the sort of place you can get around there:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-637...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

another area would be rm7 with roads coming off mawney road. This is a bit more of a 10-15 mins) walk but still doable and is more residential. Its also a bit cheaper with below a good example of the sort of place you can get:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-110...pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

if your looking for bigger places then you'd be having to go to collier row/romford borders and this would involve a bus journey

Areas i'd avoid would be rush green, crow lane and surrounding roads, dagenham, harold hill

Edited by yandos

The thing that really interests me, is with relativly stagnant prices in romford the rest of the country appears to have caught up...

The thing that really interests me, is with relativly stagnant prices in romford the rest of the country appears to have caught up...

I think the main reason for the stagnant romford prices boils down to the simple fact that it has a terrible reputation. I wonder how many people read this thread title and thought 'God Romford, what a sh**hole!' Saying that, i'm not bothered what other people think and as Jem said, the pros outweight the cons. I'm buying a house to live in and theres not many places i can buy close to london without being mortgaged to the hilt.

The roads around St Edwards school are all pretty good – if you ask me – close to the centre .

– I nearly bought a bungalow behind the school made of asbestos on a huge plot just before the last crash.

and if you willing to go a bit further out then shenfield has 23 mins journey to liverpool street and is a surrounded by parks and countryside although the price is a bit more.

Shenfield is much nicer but much more expensive. (I live there, in a place called Hutton Mount, but I couldn't have afforded to buy here at today's prices - thank God for the last crash!).

My son's looking at places in Shenfield, and there's hardly anything below 250k - he's now looking a bit further out in Hutton and Billericay. Hutton's a good option, as you can still use Shenfield Station for 20 minute service to London. Billericay's cheaper but has high council taxes and rail fares.

Good luck!

This is very helpful thanks. I have taken your advice and remained in Romford on a Saterday evening, not very attractive, but the positives seem to me to outway the negatives. Could you please let me know what areas to avoid and the areas which are most attractive in Romford. Many thanks again,

I would avoid all areas in Romford if I were you.

I would avoid all areas in Romford if I were you.

Would be very good to know why you hold such strong views against the area.