House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teddyboy

What A Joke This Country Is Becoming

We go on about GB being an exporter. But what do we produce that anyone else would want to buy?

I can honestly say I cannot think of any MAJOR british companies that the rest of the world envy us for. Can someone help?

From the GAMING industry Bullfrog were innovators but have been bought by Microsoft.

TV shows do get sold to other countries.

I cant think of any manufacturing thing that we are good at?

If I set a target of 10 companies does anyone think they could name them? They have to be successful and are worth a few quid also.

TB

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Well there is that company in Somerset who make the cleaning ladies favourite vacuum cleaner. They have now gone international. They all love Henry and George :D

Barclays - Nah! There are lots of banks in other countries that dont need a british one

BP - Nah! we have nothing to sell do we - all our wells are drying up and we import more than we export

BT - How are they successful abroad? They are successful here but they were public until Maggie sold them of!

Cadbury Schweppes - Undecided. I think this is part owned by Coca-Cola isnt it?

Diageo - YES!!! - Give you that one - Scotlands biggest exporter with Whiskys and the like

HBOS - NAH! Not international export imho

Marks & Spencer - NAH! - Its struggling in this country so cant see it being a major global success

National Grid - ?????

Tesco - YES! Great success story that is doing well worldwide

Vodafone - NAH! - Does it have a strong market outside of the UK?

comments above

Edited by teddyboy

Yes, it is a worldwide brand, all across Europe, Africa, Japan and has a large stake in Verizon in the USA! It is also the 5th largest company in the UK!

AstraZeneca (British/Swedish) drug company and BA would be on my list.

Although not a company as such I would add lloyds of London insurance market.

comments above

Barclays - Nah! There are lots of banks in other countries that dont need a british one

- Barclays operates internationally and has a strong presence in a number of emerging markets.

BP - Nah! we have nothing to sell do we - all our wells are drying up and we import more than we export

- BP is involved in exploration and development worldwide

BT - How are they successful abroad? They are successful here but they were public until Maggie sold them of!

I think at least a third of BT's turnover is outside the UK

Cadbury Schweppes - Undecided. I think this is part owned by Coca-Cola isnt it?

Diageo - YES!!! - Give you that one - Scotlands biggest exporter with Whiskys and the like

HBOS - NAH! Not international export imho

Marks & Spencer - NAH! - Its struggling in this country so cant see it being a major global success

National Grid - ?????

- Does Tesco make a profit outside the UK (other than mixers for tax planning)?

- Yes - less than 10% of Vodafones customers are in the UK

The problem with discussing leading British businesses is defining what a British business is. Glaxo? Probably, yes. Shell - yes, if we ignore the Royal Dutch bit. SAB Miller? Not really - head offices in the UK but by history a South African business. Anglo-American?

Triumph Motorcycles

Marshall Amplification (okay, all but the boutique stuff is now Chinese)

Focusrite (pro recording pre-amps, mostly chinese)

Any number of valve-based 'retro' pro audio gear brands.

Arcam and several other high-end hi-fi brands.

ARM processors/other embedded computer outfits that design internals for household name brands

Few of the leading British brands are major employers, though, as the manufacturing if mostly done overseas.

Barclays - Evil banker scum

BP - Evil global behemoth

BT - ex-private monopoly hogging the market

Cadbury Schweppes - Stupid vegetable oil chocolates making people fat and diabetic

HBOS - Ultra-evil arms-trade loving banker scum

Marks & Spencer - massively overpackaged, overpriced food and now Primark-style throwaway sweatshop garments

Tesco - Utterly evil scumbag corporate bastards destroying your local economy, deliberately killing off local trade, increasing traffic on the roads, promoting unhealthy processed slop via 3 for 2 promotions, building stores in the face of strong local opposition, forcing farmers and smaller suppliers to the wall in a greedy attempt to soak up profit. Scum.

Vodafone - Responsible for sticking up masts in the face of local opposition and turning the nation into a twittering mass of braindead texters probably giviong themselves tumours.

Yes, it is a worldwide brand, all across Europe, Africa, Japan and has a large stake in Verizon in the USA! It is also the 5th largest company in the UK!

AstraZeneca (British/Swedish) drug company and BA would be on my list.

Although not a company as such I would add lloyds of London insurance market.

Add the LSE to that while you're at it.

The old British disease of belittling and punishing successful companies will eventually bring Tesco's down, the government has been pressured into yet another review of the sector and Tesco is finding it impossible to gain planning permission. In Sunderland a bunch of architects and lottery funded arts people (from London) want a Dome style folly in place of a new Tesco store, they've convinced the development agency into ceasing the site. Not even their existing land bank is safe.

Tesco's is picked upon precisely because it illustrates that the market doesn't reflect a particular set of given social mores.

Edited by BuyingBear

Guest muttley

Barclays

BP

BT

Cadbury Schweppes

Diageo

HBOS

Marks & Spencer

National Grid

Tesco

Vodafone

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

''Harry Potter'' is our biggest export

With the characters growing up (at least in the movies), maybe the next book will be 'Harry Potter and the quest to buy a house at an affordable price'...