House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paperclip

Time To 'test' The Market

Why not this weekend go and visit an out of area Estate Agent, it should'nt be too busy.

Visit a couple of properties, target one, then put in an offer, put it in way below the asking price and keep going until they accept. Should give you an idea of what people are currently willing to accept below asking price.

Watch the Sold sign go up and then keep the masquerade going for as long as you feel comfortable before pulling out, say about 4 to 8 weeks, giving the reason as over valued,falling market,whatever.

Once you've pulled out, get a trusted friend to do the same on the same property, only don't go as high as the original offer. After 4 to 8 weeks get them also to pull out, stating some reason or other.

Keep going untill you either tire of it or you run out of friends.

What would this acheive?

1.Give you something to do while your waiting, plus provide first hand raw data to keep to yourself or feed back to this site.

2.Test the market.

3.Try the patience of the estate agents and the greedy home owner.

4.Prevent anybody else actualy offering a silly price and going through with the sale thus preventing pushing up price statistics.

5.Get people to see the same for sale/sold board going up and down up and down.

6.Help change sentiment and counteract spin.

7.REVENGE OOOPS I didn't mean that last one really.

Why not this weekend go and visit an out of area Estate Agent, it should'nt be too busy.

Visit a couple of properties, target one, then put in an offer, put it in way below the asking price and keep going until they accept. Should give you an idea of what people are currently willing to accept below asking price.

Watch the Sold sign go up and then keep the masquerade going for as long as you feel comfortable before pulling out, say about 4 to 8 weeks, giving the reason as over valued,falling market,whatever.

Once you've pulled out, get a trusted friend to do the same on the same property, only don't go as high as the original offer. After 4 to 8 weeks get them also to pull out, stating some reason or other.

What would this acheive?

1.Give you something to do while your waiting, plus provide first hand raw data to keep to yourself or feed back to this site.

2.Test the market.

4.Prevent anybody else actualy offering a silly price and going through with the sale thus preventing pushing up price statistics.

Oh, hilarious.

Bitter? You? Pah.

Oh, hilarious.

Bitter? You? Pah.

So you don't agree with marketing for ones good then.

Oh I see - only if your a V.I.

Hypocritical concept not feeling that there are two sides of this market.

Sellers and V.I.'s are allowed to spin and buyers not allowed a voice. It's business not personal Glitter.

Oh, hilarious.

Bitter? You? Pah.

'Oh' - OH Yes,

'Hilarious' - NO not really when you consider the implications it could have,

'Bitter' - No more than the average first time buyer,

'You' - You-what me? absolutley me, this weekend, already got a house picked out!

'Pah' - Pah, we'll see.

What would this acheive?

2.Test the market.

Classics!!!!

Only problem is... most EA's wont allow an offer unless a mortgage is in place. SO they will spin that Mortgage approvals are up. On a serious note though:

We are DEFINITELY gonna get friends to put in lower offers before us (would have to lie about the mortgage being in place). There is no sentiment in business. As you can see from TERRIFIED'S situation where I think they got their price with unsavoury business dealings (WHICH I AM STRONGLY AGAINST) I also have the view of SCREW or be SCREWED!

TB

Terrified - Get back to work!!! You have clients that need talking down!!!

Edited by teddyboy

Only problem is... most EA's wont allow an offer unless a mortgage is in place.

Agreed, though not absolute.

I did the round of Building societies a few weeks ago to find out for myself what the situation was, unbelievable what they are still offering, made out that I was nieve and sat there just nodding my head, have no intention of taking any of them on board but came away with a 'mortgage agreed in principle'...with a string of potential insurances for this and insurances for that added on, good enough to play along with for now.

Classics!!!!

Only problem is... most EA's wont allow an offer unless a mortgage is in place. SO they will spin that Mortgage approvals are up.

ever heard of cash offers? <_<

Could you all do this to my ex house please ?

CV37 6ub on rightmove for £335k i'll give a bonus chocolate bar to anyone who offers below £249k

Replying to both the quoted text and other posts concerning EAs not allowing offers unless a mortgage is in place. It would be possible to send an email to the agents saying that the property itself is of interest, but there's no way it would be possible to obtain a decent rental yield on the property at that price. Ask the agent to contact you back should the vendor be prepared to negotiate on price.

Edit: Terrified, looking at similar properties in Stratford-upon-Avon, it seems that £900pcm would be a reasonable rent for your old property. Given the asking price, that would be a gross return of 3.22%. That's way out of order. Would you agree with my estimated rent?

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

Maybe. Could you be more explicit in what you believe makes us look like idiots?

Billy Shears

Its kinda cool though? Obviously winds someone up to think that whats good for the goose... etc. And while I'm mixing my metaphors, revenge is a desert...

Replying to both the quoted text and other posts concerning EAs not allowing offers unless a mortgage is in place. It would be possible to send an email to the agents saying that the property itself is of interest, but there's no way it would be possible to obtain a decent rental yield on the property at that price. Ask the agent to contact you back should the vendor be prepared to negotiate on price.

Edit: Terrified, looking at similar properties in Stratford-upon-Avon, it seems that £900pcm would be a reasonable rent for your old property. Given the asking price, that would be a gross return of 3.22%. That's way out of order. Would you agree with my estimated rent?

Billy Shears

That's absolutely spot on we achieved £800 for it before it's revamp, I'm guessing a professional couple would pay around £900 although it no longer has a shower which I think is a mistake.

That's absolutely spot on we achieved £800 for it before it's revamp, I'm guessing a professional couple would pay around £900 although it no longer has a shower which I think is a mistake.

I wonder what would happen if I phoned them up and asked questions about the property, such as what sort of rent they think it would command. Wonder if they would put me through to their mortgage advisor who would then be incredibly bullish about its prospects?

Billy Shears

You guys! Are you idiots or what?

?? No not really...especially when I forgot to metion that the house that I've singled out is a property in the process fo being flipped. No one living there/vacant, from what I can tell all that has been done to it is a quick paint and the lawn mown. Trying to turn it around at a ludicrus price. The longer I can stall it the better/give them second thoughts. The sooner this breed is stamped out the better it will be for all of us.

Hi all,

Time to test the market? Time to f*** up someones life more like.

Why not just put in low offers until one is accepted then pull out immediately saying that "you were just testing the market"?

Killerbee

Up the bees

What would this acheive?

2.Test the market.

What prompts you to think up schemes like this? I'm very interested in the human behaviour that drives the housing market. Would you be kind enough to explain your life philosophy?

Could you all do this to my ex house please ?

CV37 6ub on rightmove for £335k i'll give a bonus chocolate bar to anyone who offers below £249k

I think it will be cooler to offer a fool's (full) asking price and then 8 weeks later pullout :lol:

What prompts you to think up schemes like this? I'm very interested in the human behaviour that drives the housing market. Would you be kind enough to explain your life philosophy?

Read the post - it tells you what it aims to achieve, duh.

What makes me think up schemes like this?....well who the f*** started it?

Who was it that thought they could take my right to buy an affordable home for my family slap on so much HPI that it is now so far beyond my reach.... unless I do something about it?

Interested in human behavier...then thats a simple one. Its a case of self preservation.

I'm trapped in a corner with no way out. The only option is to stand on my haunches and come full on scratching and spitting...

And I'm sure there will be a few estate agents and other VI's squirming in their seats reading this at the moment because they know there is nothing they can do to stop it...i'm not breaking the law...I'm just another buyer who happens to change his mind 4 to 8 weeks down the road...nothing illegal with changing your mind yet is there?!...and the same could be said for my friends..incidently all of different ages and backgrounds...could keep the same house tied up for years if we wanted....driving the price way way down....untill I get the price that I think is fair....