House Price Crash Forum

Hows The Big Rush To The Estate Agents In Your Area

sam

HOLA441

Its interesting that a few weeks ago one of the VIs said punters were "thronging" into EAs to view details and register interest in buying. A few highly sophisticated buyers might not visit an EA but expect the EA to come to them, but most people go to the office. Hence the "thronging" claim. The deadness being reported from various regions really does add credibility to the recent reports from the ODPM and RICS that a change in market conditions is working its way through.

To sum it up:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/060418/323/g9d41.html

"though there are signs that
the 'spring surge' is starting to lose momentum
, a survey by property website Rightmove (LSE: RMV.L - news) found."

The "Spring Bounce" is just not happening.

Pure, undiluted twaddle.

You said 'A few highly sophisticated (spin, spin) buyers'.

The fact is 75% of properties that sell are first found on the internet. Which explains why Rightmove and PrimeLocation are so successful.

Every year the spring surge starts to lose momentum - otherwise it wouldn't be a surge! The big increase in interest comes right after Christmas. The deals done complete between April and June. As soon as the evenings get longer and summer is on its way, people start thinking about other things. A late moderately sunny Easter is never busy for us. Although, as it happens, we've taken offers on two this morning that were viewed at the weekend. Nice start to the week again!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

In Milton Keynes, the Property section front page has announced 3 new EA branches opening in my area this year. "To cope with the demand". One branch was early this year, 2 others in the same week about 2 weeks ago. All different EAs if my memory serves me correctly.

The paper has pages of "Sold Sold Sold" properties, with pleas of "We need similar properties like these".

Make of that what you will.

For the properties I'm observing, their not exactly "flying off the shelves".

Out of 15 i've been looking at this year, maybe 4/5 have shifted.

2 have reduced in asking price.

House price stagnation/slight drop is what I see, but there are sales. (2 props in my road this quarter)

HOLA443

In Milton Keynes, the Property section front page has announced 3 new EA branches opening in my area this year. "To cope with the demand". One branch was early this year, 2 others in the same week about 2 weeks ago. All different EAs if my memory serves me correctly.

The paper has pages of "Sold Sold Sold" properties, with pleas of "We need similar properties like these".

Make of that what you will.

For the properties I'm observing, their not exactly "flying off the shelves".

Out of 15 i've been looking at this year, maybe 4/5 have shifted.

2 have reduced in asking price.

House price stagnation/slight drop is what I see, but there are sales. (2 props in my road this quarter)

What I am seeing in my area is a large number of "no upward chain" type of attempted sales. One of the big EAs had 20% of the properties advertised in the local paper as this type of hoped for sale. A few sellers are hoping to STR or unload BTLs?

Flying off the shelves? Not in the West Midlands as was confirmed by the RICS report today. Unemployment is driving the market from now on.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Winners and Losers

There is a tonne of 'no chain' ers coming onto the market this spring. What does this say? Is Joe Public not as silly as we think? Are alot of people getting out now to STR or to downsize (because, hey, even if they are paying top dollar they are probably buying now with no mortgage - the downsizers that is)? I find it hard to believe that anyone who has lived through bubbles, crashes, recessions, depressions, corrections, soft landings - call them what you will - cannot see the writing on the wall.

HOLA446

A late moderately sunny Easter is never busy for us.

Here we go!

Last spring EAs were blaming the Pope's death, an early [or was it late?] Easter, cold weather, hot weather for poor house sales

What will it be this time?

The World Cup - or will that boost sales, with everone rushing to buy so they are in their new home for the football borefest- or am I confusing that with MEW-based flatscreen TV sales?

HOLA447
Guest Bart of Darkness

on the contary

I was walking up north end where the estate agents were, and there was a QUEUE of people heading up the street, they were all waiting patiently all kinds of people, young adults, children etc. it was 3 wide, and about 50 people all waiting for the doors to open. I was in awe! Till I realised it was only the afternoon showing of ice age 2. phew.

:lol:

bwahahaha

you are an estate agent for christsakes - do you really think anyone believes a word you say! :lol:

if an estate agent told me the sky was blue, i'd have to go and check for myself.

I wouldn't even do that. If an EA told me that the sky was blue I'd just assume that they meant "deceptively blue", i.e. that it was really bright orange!

What will it be this time?

The World Cup

Without a doubt, either that or it'll be the very poor/average/hot/phew what a scorcher! summer we're about to have.

HOLA448

Until EA do their job properly, they will need shops in the High Street! - I tried to arrange an appointment to see a property on Saturday over the phone - no-one called back, so when I was passing on Saturday I popped in & made it then & there.

They had a lot more staff in than punters, and (most important of all) their appointments book was only about 1/3 full.

HOLA449

We have an Estate Agents called Sykes Waterhouse. On their High Street stores the houses in the window DONT have a price on them! So god knows how they get business? It could be the FOXTONS - "Dont mention the fee - Ever" tactic, but I will never set foot in there as it comes across as hiding something and I DONT TRUST THEM.

On the Internet however, they show the prices. Now I know why they dont in their shop windows!!! Robin B@stards!! :P

TB