House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

Hows The Big Rush To The Estate Agents In Your Area

I got about a bit yesterday, i was in Cambridge and then ended up around the Stansted area, and finished up in Saffron Waldern, Yesterday was only the first day of the Easter weekend i grant you, but for what should be the busiest weekend of the year for the Estate Agents things sure looked very quite to me.

We still have a few days to go, we shall see. Has anyone seen much activity in their area.

Sam

If the VI's do pull this off this Easter, and sales do pick up, i will concede, IN A WAY.

Not that everything is Hunky Dory, but that the property market will stay insane for much longer than i thought.

Sam

ive been having a look everytime i pass an eas office. they are EMPTY of customers.

they have been in the nw for around a year now. daily express ???

just proves to me how untruthful british news media really is.

in fact: im begining to be put off by the whole bloody thing. been giving moving away some very serious recent thought. there isnt much here now. it wasnt so bad with the chance of a small house and garden. with that very gone. whats left ?

binge drinkers and lies from the media.

its not like living here is worth anything anyway - so the crazy prices seem even more stupid.

and it points out the individual greed in the uk.

what have we become ?

Sam,

You seem to have cooled off markedly since late March.

What has happened to do this?

Hi Dr Bubb

I just did what i consider to be very healthy, i let off a little steam, A LOT OF STEAM (o;

I am great believer in not bottling things up, and if you are going to get angry, take it out on the thing you are angry at, NOT OTHERS.

My normal routing is working out at least 4 times a week, eating right, working hard, and i have packed in the weed a while now. But over the last month i have a few skin fulls, done nothing more tiring than some good games of poker, and eaten crap., the binge has done me some good, i did stay off the weed though.

I am not going to buy this year, the USA is a very possible option, but again i will see the year out first.

I know what you have said about me and my patience , but for the last two years i have been rock solid in my belief and very patient knowing in myself i have done the right thing, but i just think frustatation got the better of me.

I am really looking foward to the day when i can get my own place, but to Dr it is a little more imporant than most, i really need a good base for my Business, moving about has made life really hard. Looking to get a small holding as well, bit of a Country lad these days, I have built something quite successfull, i just want the rewards now, i am sure i will get there.

Sam

I got about a bit yesterday, i was in Cambridge and then ended up around the Stansted area, and finished up in Saffron Waldern, Yesterday was only the first day of the Easter weekend i grant you, but for what should be the busiest weekend of the year for the Estate Agents things sure looked very quite to me.

We still have a few days to go, we shall see. Has anyone seen much activity in their area.

Sam

Having worked over the Easter weekend numerous times in Cambridge over the years I have to say that the rush which is supposed to start is a bit of an urban myth, the better the weather the quieter it is and often if you do have someone wanting to view you can't get hold of the vendors as they have gone out.

Easter is not a fixed point in the calendar so the build up in activity is more to do with being able to time a move during the summer holidays etc, also 2.5m people are supposed to be abroad over Easter and the rest are buying sofas at DFS or emptying Ikea. No need to visit agents physically as you can see it all on the internet, viewings are more likely to have been arranged earlier in the week so you cannot assume that agents are quiet just from what you can see.

Anyone who runs their own business will always put a positive slant on any publicity they can get but this article certainly does not indicate a lack of activity at the moment:-

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/regio...493211161a2.lpf

Trend around here is very quiet EAs with a massive supply bubble building.

145 properties listed on Rightmove in the last 14 days, I'd estimate that means about 3x that for sale this month (+ previous unsold stock - lots) so about 335+ properties new to market in this postcode area.

In the fastest selling month ever (accordint to LR data) 72 were sold.

So the monthly oversupply is currently around 250+.... thats the only record being set round here.

And this over-supply has been going on for at least a year.

I drove down our high street, 5 agents no punters, wasn`t particularly looking..Terrified should be able to bring us up to speed in our local as to how appointments have been.

Petrol`s gone dear though, over 90p, one garage 93p. Wasn`t it 83p a while back? Boiling effin frogs, brain dead masses will put up with anything :angry:

Edited by Converted Lurker

Agree with Seen it Before.

If I was looking for a house now I'd do it all the net and ring up to make appts - I wouldn't be trawling round EAs on foot.

The EA selling my house always looks completely dead when I go past - I don't think I've ever seen anyone in it. However, they tell me they agreed 42 sales in March and that this is in stark contrast to the preceeding 18 months which have been steady but quiet and a struggle for them. They say March went mad and they were snowed under with viewings, offers and negotiations.

They do also tell me that offers are coming in low though - they are negotiating them up still but people are not going in with asking price offers like they used to (obviously!).

I'm in the North West btw.

Re petrol prices - up in the Lakes last week and I paid about 98p!

Edited by Glitterygook2

I'm at work, the phone are dead, I am playing online poker and getting paid for it :)

That is the most apt description of an E.A.s job I`ve seen in a long time :P ..you even managed an E.A. style typo...bit like putting an extra nought on the end of a price ;)

Agree with Seen it Before.

If I was looking for a house now I'd do it all the net and ring up to make appts - I wouldn't be trawling round EAs on foot.

The EA selling my house always looks completely dead when I go past - I don't think I've ever seen anyone in it. However, they tell me they agreed 42 sales in March and that this is in stark contrast to the preceeding 18 months which have been steady but quiet and a struggle for them. They say March went mad and they were snowed under with viewings, offers and negotiations.

They do also tell me that offers are coming in low though - they are negotiating them up still but people are not going in with asking price offers like they used to (obviously!).

I'm in the North West btw.

Re petrol prices - up in the Lakes last week and I paid about 98p!

Bit off topic, but at what price did it all kick off last time re. prices?

diesel is a lotr more expensive now, all they white van man type buissnesses seeing huge fuel cost increases.

i was out last night in the bars till 4am and ive a head on me like birkinhead this morning

glahhhhh

i've just been in northampton town centre (the biggest town in europe, i believe)

the estate agents run in packs around here - mainly down the bridge street/mercer's row/george's row area.

i can report absolutely no punters whatsoever in any of them @ 12pm ish :D

re. petrol prices - mostly 95p+ or so around here now :huh:

time to get one of these?

http://www.dieselbike.net :unsure:

An EA's in Liverpool Sykes Waterhouse had 3 page advert in the Merseymart. The Front page was SPRING SALE! Must have been 40 properties. All had offers OVER xxxxxxx.

Flying of shelves so they have a spring sale???? Alls I can see is ASKING PRICES GOING HIGHER. This means when it turns I can knock 20% off the purchase price straight away!! :)

TB

i've just been in northampton town centre (the biggest town in europe, i believe)

the estate agents run in packs around here - mainly down the bridge street/mercer's row/george's row area.

i can report absolutely no punters whatsoever in any of them @ 12pm ish :D

re. petrol prices - mostly 95p+ or so around here now :huh:

time to get one of these?

http://www.dieselbike.net :unsure:

They always used to say Sunderland was the biggest town without city status, but it may have it now.

Ea's not busy here in North yorks even according to people who work there and local paper property supplement is thicker than in recent times . However since New Year most of the even the longest -standing ''For sale'' signs have gone to ''sold'' and sold signs easily outnumber for sale signs around here for the first time in years..

Edited by Michael

Locality - West Yorkshire - Local sales volume 25% up on a year ago - with prices stable!

Where all the money is comming in from I've no idea as , locally, unemployment is slowly rising and job vacancies falling. I can only assume that a fair propartion of the volume is sideways movement as people move areas etc?

Are people basing the level of activity on the number of people seen inside estate agents' offices?

If so I think that's a bit misguided. When I was actively searching for a house I never even set foot inside an estate agent's office. It was all done via property websites, phones calls, emails and viewings. The only time I actually walked into an office was to collect the keys for the house I purchased!

Are people basing the level of activity on the number of people seen inside estate agents' offices?

If so I think that's a bit misguided. When I was actively searching for a house I never even set foot inside an estate agent's office. It was all done via property websites, phones calls, emails and viewings. The only time I actually walked into an office was to collect the keys for the house I purchased!

of course not

this thread is just a bit of fun

it begs the question though - why use all that prime real estate for all the estate agents to occupy when it could be used for something better, such as conversion into housing for people to actually live in! :P

move the EA's to the edge of town...

...or do it all online and via call centres

yes, I've noticed that only when the market's extremely quiet or extremely busy do you notice more/less people in EAs' offices just from passing by.

Report from Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

Town generally busy. Looked in the windows of the 6 big estate agents. Not one single customer in any of them. A lot of empty desks with a 2 or 3 agents looking very bored and staring out of the window. Hardly a soul looking at the ads in the windows either.

The prospects for a Spring Bounce look limited to some propaganda only that customers are "thronging" into EAs. Well not around here.

It could be that higher IR, lower levels of employment and and higher fuel bills are cutting away the underpins of the economy.

:)

Went shopping in Kettering this afternoon, I am afraid things look to be picking up, I saw one couple

out of 7 estate agents, thats a 100% increase on last Sat afternoon.

It seems to be all quiet on the house selling front in the Cotswolds.

Went past 4 estate agents in Chipping Campden, all empty though the town was busy.

Likewise in Broadway, 3 agents - no custom apart from a few tourists looking in the window and laughing their ars*s off at the ridiculous prices.

on the contary

I was walking up north end where the estate agents were, and there was a QUEUE of people heading up the street, they were all waiting patiently all kinds of people, young adults, children etc. it was 3 wide, and about 50 people all waiting for the doors to open. I was in awe! Till I realised it was only the afternoon showing of ice age 2. phew.

Was in Kew Gardens (Richmond) village this afternoon by the station, near where I rent. There are a few estate agents there but hardly anyone was around! :) I playfully registered my interest with Foxtons a month back and they sent me invites to an open Easter weekend to view properties Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon! Obviously I'm not going (i keep emailing them back when they email me about properties I may be interested in saying 'yes, looks good and in a great location, but I would expect another bathroom and a (larger) garden at that price! Sorry, better luck next time.'

By the way, asking prices are coming down in Kew, which for me is the best place to live in London bar none. :D