House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BillyShears

Halifax Mortgage Calculator

The Halifax mortgage calculator:

http://www.halifax.co.uk/mortgages/afforda...alculator.shtml

is telling me that the amount I can borrow is between two figures, which work out to be between 4.4 and 5x my salary.

I'm sure I have used this calculator before and been quoted much less generous figures.

<sarcasm>

Gosh, I never knew I could borrow so much. All my housing problems are solved and I can buy a house in a much more expensive area than I could before. Hell, I could go back to London and buy a 3 bed semi if I wanted to.

</sarcasm>

Edit: I just went to the BBC mortgage calculator to work out what the 5x loan would cost me under various scenarios. Let's just say that the prognoses are not pretty!

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

is telling me that I can borrow is between two figures, which work out to be between 4.4 and 5x my salary.

I'm sure I have used this calculator before and been quoted much less generous figures.

<sarcasm>

Gosh, I never knew I could borrow so much. All my housing problems are solved and I can buy a house in a much more expensive area than I could before. Hell, I could go back to London and buy a 3 bed semi if I wanted to.

</sarcasm>

Billy Shears

Yep, just done it too and spot on the same multiples,

Dont know about you but I have 1 child too! And they'll still lend me between 4.5 and 5 times my salary.

Quite amazing really. This is credit loosening, not tightening!

Yep, just done it too and spot on the same multiples,

Dont know about you but I have 1 child too! And they'll still lend me between 4.5 and 5 times my salary.

Quite amazing really. This is credit loosening, not tightening!

Just signed up for that 5x salary mortgage.

Managed to find a 3 bed semi on a main road next to the local kebab shop, its perfect.

Courtyard garden. Should be ok there for the next 30 years.

Just signed up for that 5x salary mortgage.

Managed to find a 3 bed semi on a main road next to the local kebab shop, its perfect.

Courtyard garden. Should be ok there for the next 30 years.

I have just done it too.

I can almost afford a semi in my parents road that I could have easily have managed in 1997 on 4 times salary.

Just hows how obsene the whole things got.

I have just done it too.

I can almost afford a semi in my parents road that I could have easily have managed in 1997 on 4 times salary.

Just hows how obsene the whole things got.

The plot thickens. After typing in my salary and other information into the Nationwide calculator, I find ....

Your Affordability Results

You requested a loan of £(5x my salary) over a period of 25 years 0 months.

Nationwide could lend you, subject to satisfactory income evidence, credit scoring and suitable security up to a maximum of £(42.7 times my salary!!!). The minimum period you could afford to repay that amount over would be 15 years 4 months.

What's going on here? Can some other people try clicking "Apply Now" on the following page:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/mortgage/homebuyers/intro.htm

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

The plot thickens. After typing in my salary and other information into the Nationwide calculator, I find ....

What's going on here? Can some other people try clicking "Apply Now" on the following page:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/mortgage/homebuyers/intro.htm

Billy Shears

I got the same thing Billy. They said I could borrow up to 8.5 times salary on that second page. Whats up with that?

Guest Winners and Losers

I posted this previously (ignored again :rolleyes: ), about how Nationwide would lend me about 5xsalary. I said it was a joke, I would struggle to make the payments and if IR's went up I would be screwed.

I think we need Baz63 on this one!

Guest Winners and Losers

you re all pussys!

Go for broke! :lol:

:lol::lol:

Oh, alright then, why not! Prices only go up anyway. In a couple of years I'll be quids in.

PS - I aint no pussy. Woof.

I posted this previously (ignored again :rolleyes: ), about how Nationwide would lend me about 5xsalary. I said it was a joke, I would struggle to make the payments and if IR's went up I would be screwed.

I think we need Baz63 on this one!

Sorry, too many posts to keep up with. Not ignored deliberately.

But Nationwide didn't say that I could afford 5x salary. It said that the most they could lend me was 42.7x salary, a figure in the millions! And that I could afford to pay this back in just over 15 years.

It's probably a decimal point in the wrong place.

Billy Shears

spam.jpgThey really should make a link to a spam wholesale sight because thats all we could afford to eat after taking their mortgage on

even spam is expensive

go for the supermarkets own make or princes reformed ham

even spam is expensive

go for the supermarkets own make or princes reformed ham

Is spam in the cpi basket, increased demand could mean inflation and higher IR!

papa

it would be funny if the calculator was linked to a quality of life output

e.g.

you have selected maxiumum borrowing capcity

you can now buy that 2 bedroom luxury apartment

life style will consist of eating dog food

mending your own underwear when holes appear

taking one bath per week

delaying having children until the mortgage is paid off in full

Edited by notanewmember

is telling me that the amount I can borrow is between two figures, which work out to be between 4.4 and 5x my salary.

<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

Edit: I just went to the BBC mortgage calculator to work out what the 5x loan would cost me under various scenarios. Let's just say that the prognoses are not pretty!

Billy Shears

Note the text once it quote the value.

"Your home may be REPOSSESSED if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage."

The Halifax are a Debt Collection Business with spin.