House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

I Cannot Think Of Anything I Want To Be Expensive

Been thinking about the latest media advertising that has been done on behalf of the lenders/Government/ and all the other VI's to do with property.

There is just nothing like this obsession with property prices, the more i think about it the more i come to the conclusion that it is GREED in it's purest form, with a pinch of spite and selfishness thrown for good measure.

Think about any other commodity, especially the ones the concern you the most, is there anything out there that you want and wish the price to be sky high.

How can anyone want anything to be more expensive and got off on it at the same time.

I want a Honda Fireblade, diving holiday in Eygpt, good food and clothes, world cup tickets, i would persoanlly love to be able to buy this little list for a fiver, like any other normal human. And if i was lucky enough to buy this lot for a fiver, i would be over the moon if the man next to me could have it for a fiver as well.

OK, housing is different so they say.

Maybe housing is just the same, we all want it cheap when buying, but once we own we want prices to shoot up in value so we can stick our fingers up to those that do not own, how spitefull and evil.

The more i look at the property market, the more uglier and vulgar it looks, it brings out the very worst in human nature, and with a clear head i cannot see how it serves anyone but the scum at the top that now have us enslaved.

Sam

How can anyone want anything to be more expensive and got off on it at the same time.

I want a Honda Fireblade, diving holiday in Eygpt, good food and clothes, world cup tickets, i would persoanlly love to be able to buy this little list for a fiver, like any other normal human. And if i was lucky enough to buy this lot for a fiver, i would be over the moon if the man next to me could have it for a fiver as well.

To be honest you have to compare it with other things that keep their value and that you are likely to resell in your lifetime.

So, antiques, collectibles, classic cars, wines, art, shares etc. Some musical instruments I believe.

I guess the difference is that a house is more of a necessity than the above.

frugalista

How are you enslaved ? You can choose to buy or not to buy and if we all choose not to buy then they will be enslaved not you, seems pretty clear cut to me.

Rent / Buy - what's the difference - enslavement either way.

The more i look at the property market, the more uglier and vulgar it looks, it brings out the very worst in human nature, and with a clear head i cannot see how it serves anyone but the scum at the top that now have us enslaved.

Sam

I know exactly what you are talking about Sam, but actually on a general level of others I think that people carry this incredible snobbishness around THINGS. (I notice it more because it goes against the grain of my own values - I grew up with war time parents not baby boomers so I have always taken pure egotistical joy in creative frugality :ph34r: ). It mostly applies to the "new money" of the new consumer middle classes (since the late 1940s). Before the 40s these people were the working class. They never embraced the values of the old middle classes. They just had as much money to spend on THINGS.

But I would suggest:

Really rich people don't buy small cars with low gas emmissions, they buy mercs (small cars with low gas emmissions are the reserve of the bleeding liberal old educated middle classes, greenie scum!) . Poor and average consumer middle classes, don't want to be middle class, and don't aspire to be middle class. Its like two parallel worlds in which the same description covers vastly different item (hey check the elephant with the long legs and long neck :blink: ) The consumer middle classes want to be like rich people (the ultimate consumers). Therefore if they can't afford a merc they go and buy the biggest FO 4x4 they can lay their hands on. They talk about needing if for security (well if you didn't go around in the latest designer clothes with a huge FO 4x4 and a mobile with the latest built in features up to and including scratching your butt and picking your nose for you while you make a phone call, you probably wouldn't be targeted for theft! - but they want something to say they need security, because rich people hire security guards.) They have to have 'designer' wear, because this is what 'rich people' have. They don't understand the ruling class, they just ape them. Like George Bush moaning about the standard of Buckingham Palace. They never let anything wear in or wear out. Thats not the consumer culture, it is the culture of the upper classes, but its not 'the best of everything'. Like Cherry and Tony turning up to some sort of do in the country with the Queen with brand new wellies and walking gear. Strangers in a strange land. I could go on, an on, and on. I watch them with a jaundiced eye. Its all about snobbery. Their's v Mine!!!

As Jesus Rodrigues (RIP) said:

The poor create the rich hoax, and only late breast fed fools believe it.

just dont buy into a uk pension plan sam and keep your savings in euros.

let them play their little property game without your cash.

if theres no change in 2/3 years. leave.

Good advice, i am also trying to think of ways of getting my hands on my pension money that i have put in, i do not trust these buggers with my money, i want to invest it in something else.

Any ideas anyone.

Sam

Good advice, i am also trying to think of ways of getting my hands on my pension money that i have put in, i do not trust these buggers with my money, i want to invest it in something else.

Any ideas anyone.

Sam

If you have a money purchase pension just switch it into some non-uk funds. I have a load in European and Japanese funds right now.

If you don't trust the pension provider you could just set up a SIPP and then use that to invest in euro-denominated (or other non-UK) assets.

It will still be a UK pension, just completely divorced from the UK asset markets.

frugalista