House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lewissheridan

Desperate Times...

Having lived in 1-bedroom flat rentals for the last three years, and the expected arrival of our baby boy in June, the need has come for something a bit bigger. A 2-bed flat, or 2-bed terraced house would suit me fine. Basically i would like a house with a garden, something we can call home. Living in rented accommodation is horrible, you have to be careful not to damage anything, you have to worry about wear and tear being taken from your deposit because the property hasn't had any maintenance for the last 5 years etc. etc.

I've recently been made redundant so have come into a nice bit of redundancy, not a huge amount, but enough to contribute to a deposit. However, i just can't find any suitable places for my budget which is 130k.

What do I do ?

I have a new job now, earning above avg. for my age i would say, have a deposit yet all the properties i see are 150k +. I live in Surrey which doesn't help... any advice much appreciated, i really can't see any light at the end of this tunnel except that i'm going to have to buy, because the misery of living in rented accommodation the size of a shoe box just isn't what life should be about

Having lived in 1-bedroom flat rentals for the last three years, and the expected arrival of our baby boy in June, the need has come for something a bit bigger. A 2-bed flat, or 2-bed terraced house would suit me fine. Basically i would like a house with a garden, something we can call home. Living in rented accommodation is horrible, you have to be careful not to damage anything, you have to worry about wear and tear being taken from your deposit because the property hasn't had any maintenance for the last 5 years etc. etc.

I've recently been made redundant so have come into a nice bit of redundancy, not a huge amount, but enough to contribute to a deposit. However, i just can't find any suitable places for my budget which is 130k.

What do I do ?

I have a new job now, earning above avg. for my age i would say, have a deposit yet all the properties i see are 150k +. I live in Surrey which doesn't help... any advice much appreciated, i really can't see any light at the end of this tunnel except that i'm going to have to buy, because the misery of living in rented accommodation the size of a shoe box just isn't what life should be about

When the baby arrives your life will completely change. It is not a good time to move in the later stages of pregnancy or immediately after the birth as this should be a restful time. The best thing to do is look at properties around October/November where if properties have been on the market a while the sellers might be more amenable to price negotiation. You will also be used to a baby and it might change your mind as to practicle issues surrounding living with a child ie. how many stairs do you want to climb to get up to your front door, traffic on roads surrounding property, parking, safety issues, garden security etc ... Whether you can extend it later. Look into getting information on properties coming up for auction, local schools OFSTED reports - you may be in your next home for some time and whether you want to be stuck in an area where the school does not meet later requirements for your child.

Children are surprisingly adaptable and being in rented accommodation at any age is ok, there are many families out there renting and it is a lot less stressful than undertaking a huge mortgage, diy and the fact that you can be locked into one property which may not meet your future needs. The nesting urge is very strong and everyone wants the best for their children, this can only be achieved by thorough research and looking at all the options objectively and planning ahead - perhaps 5 or 10 years. <_<

Hope this helps and good luck!

PMT

For the first year at least, your baby doesn't necessarily need it's own room. I would consider continuing to rent a 1 bedroom for a minimum of a year after the baby's birth and then start looking. PMT's advice is good and asking prices are likely to have fallen by then.

Edited by Buffer Bear

We lived in a one bedroomed flat with our newborn daughter for 5 weeks (didn't even have our own washing machine it was shared as is popular in Australia) and it was hell, no other word for it.

However it did stop me being sucked into buying all the rubbish that Mother and Baby, Junior magazine etc have on their "essentials" list and saved me an absolute fortune (and the baby survived very well without a moses basket etc). We would have been OK in the one bed but two was much, much nicer (and the baby didn't sleep in the 2nd bedroom my husband did).

My advice is don't hold out this long to blow it now, rent something nice, affordable and make it your home.

I bought lovely wallpaper curtains etc in 2002 for the house we were going to buy and have had them in boxes for nearly 4 years, well no more I'm decorating my rented house and what the hell is the landlord going to do about ? The same as we could do about our tennants who put holes in the walls and flooded the bathroom - sweet FA.

Thanks for the sound advice, it does make sense. I've renewed my tennancy until April next year, and I think I will bide my time till the later quarter of the year and have a look at auction properties.

Having lived in 1-bedroom flat rentals for the last three years, and the expected arrival of our baby boy in June, the need has come for something a bit bigger. A 2-bed flat, or 2-bed terraced house would suit me fine. :P Basically i would like a house with a garden, something we can call home. Living in rented accommodation is horrible, you have to be careful not to damage anything, you have to worry about wear and tear being taken from your deposit because the property hasn't had any maintenance for the last 5 years etc. etc.

What do I do ?

I live in rented with my wife and 6 month old boy.

I don't think he's noticed that we're renting yet