House Price Crash Forum

10 Year Snap Shot Released By Halifax

HOLA441

House prices rocket over the past 10 years - Halifax

Eighteen of the 20 counties with the strongest house prices increases since 1996 are in western Britain, with 13 in Wales, four in the South West (Cornwall, Dorset, Gloucestershire and Somerset) and one in the West Midlands (Shropshire). The remaining two counties in the top 20 are both in the South East - the Isle of Wight and East Sussex.

The 19 areas recording the smallest rise in average house prices since 1996 are all in Scotland.

The average house price in the most expensive county is currently 3.2 times that in the least expensive county - the same as in 1996. In monetary terms, however, the gap has widened significantly from £67,682 in 1996 to £206,117 in 2006 - an increase of 138% in real terms (i.e. once the increase retail price inflation over the period is taken into account).

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...articlekey=1740

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I think this is an interesting development. When they have to start taking a longer look to be able to quote big increases to pull in more suck punters, it shows that the gains over the last year or so aren't enough to keep the ball rolling.

Billy Shears

HOLA445
HOLA446

Thought it was about time for yet another PR release from the Haliwide. Interesting new spin ... lets compare East v West prices. Just another in the long line of beach huts selling for 1/2 million, houses near good schools cost more, Seaside resorts show biggest rises, market towns show biggest prices rises, houses by water show biggest gains, North v South, houses with four walls rocket in price, houses next door to Spearmint Rhino clubs out perform rest of U.K, etc etc etc. Yawn boody yawn. All designed to keep the impression going that you cant loose with property and isn't it great we're all filthy rich for doing sod all but sitting in our little pile of baked clay and mortar !

I get the impression that they have a filing cabinet full of 'stories' like this timed to release to the press following any sign of bad news for the property market i.e ODPM data. Bank holidays are always good for a PR release as news is slow.

As you say interesting that they now use a 10 year time frame , one or two years wouldn't look quite so rosy !

Funnily enough they don't seem to have run a 'Houses in Royal Boroughs falling faster than anywhere else in the country' story. (Windsor and Maidenhead -5% YOY N.Wide)

Something else which has always puzzled me is that the article states that 2 million people have left London ( can't say I blame them either - I did 13 years ago) ..... why then have London property prices not collapsed ?

Edited by Bearfacts

HOLA447
Guest muttley

I think this is an interesting development. When they have to start taking a longer look to be able to quote big increases to pull in more suck punters, it shows that the gains over the last year or so aren't enough to keep the ball rolling.

Billy Shears

Spot on. They are air-brushing out the recent poor returns.I expect them to use this method more in the coming months.

Compare this. Manchester United are much better than Chelsea (if you look over the last 10 years)

HOLA448

As little as 10 year ago i would have laughed at anyone who suggested there was any kind of propaganda or any of social engineering in our Country.

I look at this news headline, and the BBC and Sky news, and all the other marketing and spin merchants, and have of today had it confirmed more than ever.

This is not a news story, this was an advertisment, this is no different from all the beauty products that are shown between coronation street with the stick model with the good looks anyway.

How many more people with i want it all now mentality will today look at this headline and be thinking maybe they might go up another 250% in the NEXT decade.

This was just a good news day for anyone buying property(busiest time of the year as well, mmmmm), nobody questioned on whether it is bad or good, or if it will continue, it is just done in a way so Joe Public can take the responsibility for hanging themselves, and a few will i am afraid.

I talked about this the other day, blair and Thatcher thread, Blairism(if there is such a thing) is quite simply buy property and GET RICH QUICK.

Sam

HOLA449

As little as 10 year ago i would have laughed at anyone who suggested there was any kind of propaganda or any of social engineering in our Country.

I look at this news headline, and the BBC and Sky news, and all the other marketing and spin merchants, and have of today had it confirmed more than ever.

This is not a news story, this was an advertisment, this is no different from all the beauty products that are shown between coronation street with the stick model with the good looks anyway.

Have you seen the Stephen Fry/John Bird comedy "Absolute Power"? If not rent the DVD today.

How many more people with i want it all now mentality will today look at this headline and be thinking maybe they might go up another 250% in the NEXT decade.

Lots of them. Lots.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

HOLA4410

This was just a good news day for anyone buying property(busiest time of the year as well, mmmmm), nobody questioned on whether it is bad or good, or if it will continue, it is just done in a way so Joe Public can take the responsibility for hanging themselves, and a few will i am afraid.

I talked about this the other day, blair and Thatcher thread, Blairism(if there is such a thing) is quite simply buy property and GET RICH QUICK.

Sam

"Sam in talks sense shocker" only joking Bud :P Good points you make there. It`s the timing that`s crucial, I`ve something I can`t release until Midnight Sunday on Firstrung and I`m struggling to believe it quite honestly <_< We are absolutely unindated with press releases lately, we don`t know what do do for the best with most of them. There is an absolute army of pr folk knocking our door down. There`s something afoot politically at the moment with ftbs and HIPS..it`s not about truth or our perception of it, it feels akin to mass media manipulation <_<

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Have you seen the Stephen Fry/John Bird comedy "Absolute Power"? If not rent the DVD today.

Lots of them. Lots.

Billy Shears

Hi,

Exactly. Easter must be the single busiest few days of the year for serious buyers to be searching. And this really is a nothing story, very vague, not based on any current development or domestic news. It probably does sit on a hard drive somewhere in the offices as a generic template. Why didn't they print it last week or the week after? There is some pretty big news around at the moment, yesterday and today, like Iran and the discussions this week in the UN for sanctions, the chaos at home on the roads that started with the bank holiday exodus, Professor David King's new research on climate change, the new developments in the push for Rumsfeld's resingnation over Iraq, the 12 business men who lent to labour illegally and are going to jail, Zacarias Moussaoui (uk citizen) about to be sentenced to possible death for 9/11, the pope's speaking out today against genetic research, for which the UK has many business interests in, blah, blah, blah, This is not a slack day for news stories. I don't get the mail, I expect them to be pro-bubble insanity but every now and again they seem to print stories like "property meltdown : run to the hills". Very inconsistent journalism.

Edited by boom_and_bust

HOLA4413

This is clearly a 'feel good' news story for the busiest house buying weekend of the year (shame it's raining).

But what has surprised me is these 'feel good' stories have not really appeared in the last 6 months, whereas the year prior to that they were releasing these pointless stories every month. If these stories start up again, you know the housing market is once again struggling. I won't say this story is the start as it's on a 'spin' day anyway. But if we get more stories like this in the next few months we know they're struggling out there!

HOLA4414

Can anyone see the nice Japanese gentleman from the B o J with a rude name riding toward us on a great stallion bearing a sharpened lance with HPC written on it ready to pierce the property bubble? Can you also see a portly Chancellor from Scotland wobbling under the weight of his inflated armour preparing for the hopeless battle to fight off the knight on horseback from Japan?

HOLA4415

Can anyone see the nice Japanese gentleman from the B o J with a rude name riding toward us on a great stallion bearing a sharpened lance with HPC written on it ready to pierce the property bubble? Can you also see a portly Chancellor from Scotland wobbling under the weight of his inflated armour preparing for the hopeless battle to fight off the knight on horseback from Japan?

Precisely. Spin what you want, but your better off with a sows ear than a silk purse made out of borrowed silk.

HOLA4416

Billy Shears

Thats what I thought too.

HOLA4417