House Price Crash Forum

Bedsit Corpse Sits Undetected For 3 Years

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Sorry Badger, no link-it was on BBC ceefax last night. Besides, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to doing all the clever stuff. Somebody out there will probably oblige?

However, it seems that TV and heating were still going - no boiler inspection there then! Perhaps she was either bored to death or gassed.

LB

HOLA447

A woman's remains were found surrounded by unopened Christmas presents in a London bedsit two years after she is thought to have died, an inquest heard.

The TV and heating were still on when housing officers discovered the body of Joyce Vincent, 40, in her living room.

They had gone to the flat - a refuge for victims of domestic violence - to investigate thousands in rent arrears.

Police believe she died of natural causes probably in December 2003 and an inquest recorded an open verdict.

Some of Ms Vincent's relatives, including her sisters, attended the inquest at Hornsey Coroner's Court, held by Deputy Coroner Andrew Walker.

Dental records

Ms Vincent's body, found in January this year at the flat in Wood Green, north London, was so decomposed that the only way to identify her was to compare dental records with a holiday photograph.

A spokesman for the coroner said she had apparently been placed in the women's refuge accommodation as a victim of domestic violence.

I did notice a kind of rotten smell but the bins downstairs are strong and the stairwells smell with junkies

Michael Dobbs

Neighbour

When staff from the Metropolitan Housing Trust (MHT) arrived at the flat on 25 January they drilled the door open and discovered piles of mail - some marked February 2003 - plus medication and food with February 2003 expiry dates, the spokesman said.

Pathologist Dr Simon Poole told the inquest he had been unable to establish the cause of death because the remains were "largely skeletal", but police did not regard the circumstances as suspicious.

MHT issued a statement which read: "Ms Vincent moved into the property, which is general needs rented accommodation, in February 2003.

"Housing benefit was in part paying Ms Vincent's rent, therefore, given her age, there was no reason to suspect anything unusual had happened.

"During this period our records show MHT were not contacted by neighbours or family to raise any concerns and so we were only alerted when significant arrears built up and we tried to gain access."

The flat is part of a complex build above a shopping complex in Wood Green. Neighbours told the Guardian newspaper whenever they knocked at the door, no-one answered, so they assumed it was unoccupied.

No family shock

Michael Dobbs, who moved in in summer 2004 said: "I always thought it was an empty house. It's a shock to think that she had family and nobody came.

"It's also a puzzle how her electricity was not cut off because her TV was on all this time.

He told the paper it was a noisy building frequented by drug addicts, which could explain why no-one noticed the noise from the TV.

He said he had discovered someone dead, clutching a bottle of drink, in the lift weeks ago.

"I did notice a kind of rotten smell but the bins downstairs are strong and the stairwells smell with junkies.

"I did get a few bugs coming into my house so I had to keep the windows closed."

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Horrid, cheers Homeless. I wonder what the story between the sisters was.

your welcome badger

yes i feel real sorry for the woman, she was only 40 no age at all and no-one seemed to care enough for her to keep a check ehhh.Lot of lonley alone people out there.

HOLA4416

One wonders if all these high paid (£100K+) social care directors and managers we get posted here every week do actually earn their money! Or even if they are sacked when there are obvious failings like this under their supervision.

HOLA4417

What a sad and sorry reflection on our society. Is this what we have become? Civilisation? Don't make me laugh. We don't even know or care who our neighbours are.

Tried telling ya phaedrus, people suck mate.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

You can't blame everything on society or social workers.

She had sisters/brothers (more than one!) - why did they only show any interest in her (by attending the coroners) after she was dead? Its not as if she was travelling the other side of the word - she was in a housing association block a short walk from Wood Green tube station.

The comment from her neighbour was classic!:

"Ms Vincent's next-door neighbour, Mickel Dobbs, a 25-year-old carpenter, became suspicious a year ago after noticing a strange smell - but did nothing about it. "Every time I opened my window I would see strange little black insects crawling through," he said. "My friend used to joke, 'Maybe there's a dead body in there!'"

Wouldn't you think he would have called Environmental Health about the smell/insects!

Also she had bought a load of Xmas presents - the people in line for them clearly didn't deserve them!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

You can't blame everything on society or social workers.

She had sisters/brothers (more than one!) - why did they only show any interest in her (by attending the coroners) after she was dead? Its not as if she was travelling the other side of the word - she was in a housing association block a short walk from Wood Green tube station.

The comment from her neighbour was classic!:

"Ms Vincent's next-door neighbour, Mickel Dobbs, a 25-year-old carpenter, became suspicious a year ago after noticing a strange smell - but did nothing about it. "Every time I opened my window I would see strange little black insects crawling through," he said. "My friend used to joke, 'Maybe there's a dead body in there!'"

Wouldn't you think he would have called Environmental Health about the smell/insects!

Also she had bought a load of Xmas presents - the people in line for them clearly didn't deserve them!

Agree you can't blame everything on social workers etc. I think the problem is with the kind of communities we live in. What does it say about our society when we're all busy getting on with our lives but don't notice our neighbours disappeared/died.

Actually, I think it's fairly common although this does appear to be an extreme case.

Take the Victoria Climbie' affair. Obviously the social workers were at fault. However, I remember the family saying that had it occured in Africa the neighbours and community would have noticed something was wrong. It wouldn't all be left to social workers whilst the rest of us get on with our lives. I think there is at least a grain of truth in ths.