House Price Crash Forum
Red Baron

A Place In The Sun

This repellant programme in on at the moment hosted by the typical overweight presenter.

Have you ever seen such overt property ramping in untested markets? Does C4 have any resonance with the concept of the 'duty of care' to its viewers?

Edited by Red Baron

This repellant programme in on at the moment hosted by the typical overweight presenter.

Have you ever seen such overt property ramping in untested markets? Does C4 have any resonance with the concept of the 'duty of care' to its viewers?

Got to agree with you there, Red. I don’t often watch those Channel 4 grabbers programmes, but I tried to sit this one out, but I felt so annoyed I gave up. I just couldn’t help thinking of those poor Hungarians being done out of their chances to by a home just as our local workers have been in picturesque villages and towns

Got to agree with you there, Red. I don’t often watch those Channel 4 grabbers programmes, but I tried to sit this one out, but I felt so annoyed I gave up. I just couldn’t help thinking of those poor Hungarians being done out of their chances to by a home just as our local workers have been in picturesque villages and towns

i think you're missing the point. these "poor hungarians" will have to come to the uk, rent and work here, saving money to take home to buy their home. this will increase uk rents and prices indefinitely, while, of course, increasing prices in hungary indefinitely as well.

in short buyers of holiday homes are helping create the latest greatest economic miracle of infinite wealth creation, and all you can do is moan. terrible.

as an aside, does anyone know anyone ever who has been to hungary or holiday? i'm sure it has lovely areas but it seems to me similar to saying... "darling, we can't afford the holiday home we always dreamed of in the south of france, how about we buy one in barnsley. it is a home, and we can go their for holidays, it'll be great. and it is cheap therefore, by definition it must be underpriced."

Edited by Father Fred

This couple didn't have a single clue about the Budapest rental or sales market, and were just bullied every five minutes by the presenter, who's only ability seemed to be to flash her tits at every camera angle and opportunity.

One thing was absolutely certain, the Hungarians are far more savvy than this "wannabee millionaire couple".

Not one word was spoken about interest rates, taxes, management charges, void periods, wear and tear, furnishing, local rates/taxes, gas/water/electric. Then again in this make believe world presented by Channel 4, these things obviously don't exist.

Investment, I don't think so, just guillible punters just waiting to be fleeced.

these "poor hungarians" will have to come to the uk, rent and work here, saving money to take home to buy their home. this will increase uk rents and prices indefinitely, while, of course, increasing prices in hungary indefinitely as well.

I disagree. We are currently losing more people who are leaving the UK anually than are coming in (deficit of about 100,000 per year). Many will leave houses behind for rental - oversupply = lower prices.

This couple didn't have a single clue about the Budapest rental or sales market, and were just bullied every five minutes by the presenter, who's only ability seemed to be to flash her tits at every camera angle and opportunity.

One thing was absolutely certain, the Hungarians are far more savvy than this "wannabee millionaire couple".

Not one word was spoken about interest rates, taxes, management charges, void periods, wear and tear, furnishing, local rates/taxes, gas/water/electric. Then again in this make believe world presented by Channel 4, these things obviously don't exist.

Investment, I don't think so, just guillible punters just waiting to be fleeced.

But that drip did say thirty pounds a week profit wasn't enogh for him. Ha Ha

These programmes are brainless and contradictory to the point of hilarity.

Only yesterday I watched, 'House trapped in the Sun',which was largely about witless Brits losing in a failing Spanish property market. The presenter moralised extensively on 'taking your time' and 'researching your market throughly'.

And so today the 'A Place in the Sun' presenter tries to bully a couple to buy instantly without any consideration and then sulks and pouts when the buyer shows 'indecision'.

Is it just me, but I find it hard to believe that a studio apartment in Budapest could go for £1000 a month. What is the average wage in Hungary?

Seems too good to be true. Is it possibvle this program was less than accurate???

Only yesterday I watched, 'House trapped in the Sun',which was largely about witless Brits losing in a failing Spanish property market. The presenter moralised extensively on 'taking your time' and 'researching your market throughly'.

And so today the 'A Place in the Sun' presenter tries to bully a couple to buy instantly without any consideration and then sulks and pouts when the buyer shows 'indecision'.

Is it just me, but I find it hard to believe that a studio apartment in Budapest could go for £1000 a month. What is the average wage in Hungary?

Seems too good to be true. Is it possibvle this program was less than accurate???

Possible? - A raging certaintly. Why bother learning about the characteristics of the market, its all in a foreign language anyway. These days it seems that the mere sight of a renovated period apartment brings on orgasmic delusions of being an international property magnate in some people.

I've been to Budapest three times in the past three years thanks to Easyjet's low prices. The centre of the city is quite attractive, lots of old period buildings etc. However poverty is everywhere, you can see it on the streets, in the underground stations, around the shops and markets.

This programme presented a massive gamble as a sure fire investment. If the studio apt rents for £1k pm, and there's 15% capital appreciation, that's a 22% investment return on £100K before expenses. Seems strange then that the seller wants out at £100k - or maybe 22% is just not good enough in this "emerging market".

ollocks, utter ollocks, the whole programme.

Edited by Veritas

I saw one of these programs. Can't remember which one, the whole lot have merged into a blur.

If I remember correctly, the program I saw where people were buying in Hungary concentrated on buying property which would then be rented out to visiting Brits on holiday. There was no mention of renting the properties to Hungarians.

This did make we wonder whether the Hungarian government would be very happy if all the rental flats for foreigners were bought by foreigners, meaning that a large chunk of the tourism ££££ entering the country would then be going straight out again without even touching the sides.

Though I've never seen any of these programs consider the local wages. They just say "gosh, wow, you can buy a whole house for 20K" and leave it at that.

Billy Shears

The nail on the head.

Guest Winners and Losers

Tonight I watched 'Escape to the - well, it always seems to turn out to be 'debt'.

I disagree. We are currently losing more people who are leaving the UK anually than are coming in (deficit of about 100,000 per year). Many will leave houses behind for rental - oversupply = lower prices.

What !!!?? - where on earth did you get that from.

If you go and check Government stats we have a net inward migration of something like 250,000 and thats only the ones they know about. With an estimate 1 million illegals already here, I suspect you are wrong.

If you go and check Government stats we have a net inward migration of something like 250,000 and thats only the ones they know about. With an estimate 1 million illegals already here, I suspect you are wrong.

It matters little whether there are one or twenty million immigrants in the country; none of them will be takers for £300K 'luxury apartments', aka shoddy flats.

Most are here to earn money with the intention of going home as soon as possible; round the corner from me is a medium sized house where, I estimate, 40 immigrants 'hot bed'. No, they want dirt-cheap accomodation while they are here and their impact on national property prices is imagined rather than real.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/

Net migration into the UK has averaged 166,000 a year over the last 7 years.

65,000 new homes will be required in England each year for the period 2003-26 for immigrants.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/

Net migration into the UK has averaged 166,000 a year over the last 7 years.

65,000 new homes will be required in England each year for the period 2003-26 for immigrants.

They should come to Ireland (republic) , we'll have 85,000 completed this year alone, for a country with a population of 4,000,000. :rolleyes:

It matters little whether there are one or twenty million immigrants in the country; none of them will be takers for £300K 'luxury apartments', aka shoddy flats.

Most are here to earn money with the intention of going home as soon as possible; round the corner from me is a medium sized house where, I estimate, 40 immigrants 'hot bed'. No, they want dirt-cheap accomodation while they are here and their impact on national property prices is imagined rather than real.

I believe some of the UK's most expensive property is being bought by 'immigrants' - including Chelsea FC !

As for 40 per house? That's cetainly not the case regarding the Poles that I see - those comming over with families live in 'family' houses.

If they want dirt cheap accomodation then the brits will be forced to pay a little more for the luxury flats if that is the only new stuff available. BTW As an agent I've seen lots of immigrants in "luxury" new build flats. Get 2 couple sharing a 2 bed new build and it is not that much more expensive than ann older property (£10 pw week per person in my area)

Increased demand increases prices, other things being equal. FACT.

I was joking on my earlier post though for anyone who was wondering.

And finally, whilst I would dismiss http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/ out of hand I would treat anything they say with extreme caution.

If they want dirt cheap accomodation then the brits will be forced to pay a little more for the luxury flats if that is the only new stuff available. BTW As an agent I've seen lots of immigrants in "luxury" new build flats. Get 2 couple sharing a 2 bed new build and it is not that much more expensive than ann older property (£10 pw week per person in my area)

The rent you describe is £40pw, or £173.33 per month. That's a bargain basement rent all right, but how many luxury new build flats can be rented for £173.33 per month. Assuming a worthwhile gross yield of 7.5%, that rent would support a purchase price of £27,732.80 plus or minus a few pence. Assuming a numpty BTL return of 4.5%, that still only supports a purchase price of £46,221.33. So if the rents you describe are accurate, then I'd say that's evidence that the market for newbuilds has utterly imploded.

What you write is a bit ambiguous, as you don't say how much more expensive new builds are than the older properties. But unless newbuilds are a fraction of the price in your area compared to other areas, or the "not much more expensive" refers to two or three times more expensive, the numbers aren't there to support the price of newbuilds.

I don't think anyone disagrees with your statement taken as a theory, but your "other things being equal" is too unrealistic to be of any use whatsoever in predicting what will happen in the market.

If increased demand is due to increased numbers of people in the area, then if the number of jobs has not increased, then salaries will fall due to oversupply in the local labour market.

In my opinion, the current market is vastly overvalued due to sentiment, meaning that a lot of the demand is speculative, and that people will buy in situations where it is not reasonable to buy because of a belief that property prices can only go up. So a larger number of people in the area does not have a one-to-one correspondence to "demand".

Demand doesn't just depend on the number of people in the area, but also on occupancy rates. If occupancy rates go up faster than the number of people in the area, the demand for properties goes down.

Billy Shears

They should come to Ireland (republic) , we'll have 85,000 completed this year alone, for a country with a population of 4,000,000. :rolleyes:

Yes - but whens your bubble going to pop?

When it does they'll be one hell of a bang!

I was joking on my earlier post though for anyone who was wondering.

Yes wondered why people picked on it when it was clearly irony. Oh well your humour wasn't wasted on me :-)

Very true.........of course the demand can be fueled by other things than "need" however..... Property defecit?........I'm seeing a heck of a lot of empty leased peoperties around these days.

I missed this weeks 'Place in the Sun', I did see last weeks however...........I'm afraid I rate Amanda Lamb as one of the worst of the "00's property presenter criminals".....Andrew Winters and Beeny do get a vote of confidence for good, practical and informative advice however.

On last week

Couple visit PORTUGAL

Intresting to see the possibilty of what a crash can do

Amanda says Portugal is just emerging from a recession. Sellers are DESPERATE TO SELL. This is actual words from her mouth I can tell you - I recorded the episode and only got back to watch it this afternoon.

Houses have been on the market for 1-2 years and have not sold

Prices have CRASHED there e.g. 300K reduced to 170K, and another property started at the begining at 180K reduced to 110K

So there you have it, crash is a possibility in recent times. I dont see why it couldnt happen in the UK

Edited by notanewmember