House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Homer

Regulations For Gas Supply In Rented Flats

Guest Homer

After about 30 phone calls I managed to get someone out to look at the gas boiler in our rented flat.

The guy says that there is nowhere accessible to us (the taps are under lock and key outside the flat) where we can turn off the gas supply if there is a leak and that this is illegal.

Is this true? If so it applies to the entire block (70ish flats) and I feel it is my duty to make a nuisance of myself and kick up a fuss.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

After about 30 phone calls I managed to get someone out to look at the gas boiler in our rented flat.

The guy says that there is nowhere accessible to us (the taps are under lock and key outside the flat) where we can turn off the gas supply if there is a leak and that this is illegal.

Is this true? If so it applies to the entire block (70ish flats) and I feel it is my duty to make a nuisance of myself and kick up a fuss.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Not sure about the legality but it sounds like a potential death trap to me. Try searching the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website for legislation....

If there's any issue with the gas supply, such as a leak or a carbon monoxide problem from an appliance, you can phone Transco and they'll come out and switch the supply off. If it's physically impossible to do so then I reckon Transco would be interested to know about it. I suspect there is something seriously illegal going on here.

Not sure about the legality but it sounds like a potential death trap to me. Try searching the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website for legislation....

Another possibility is Building regulations on the ODPM website. See what you can find here:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1130474

It certainly doesn't sound good. Electrical instalations should have a single switch to isolate the installation and I would expect the same for gas. How else can you isolate the supply in the event of an emergency?

The housing officer at your local council may also know or see if CORGI the gas safety body have a website.

corgi have a hotline which they charge £1 per minute to answer queries. most gas cupboards on commercial and larger domestic properties are locked. however there should be a key available on site