House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mosstrooper

New Sneaky Estate Agent Tactic

i have noticed very recently that you drive to work along the main drags there are not many for-sale signs visible. But as soon as you drive round the side streets its like a forest of signs.

Its almost as if the properties on the main through roads are deliberately not showing for sale signs to make it look like there is a shortage of property.

anyone else noticed this ?

i have noticed very recently that you drive to work along the main drags there are not many for-sale signs visible. But as soon as you drive round the side streets its like a forest of signs.

Its almost as if the properties on the main through roads are deliberately not showing for sale signs to make it look like there is a shortage of property.

Complete nonsense, there is nothing an agent would like more than a board on a main road.

no i think he has a point, though it may not be down to EAs coluding (but what do i know!)

Some roads are worse than others - e.g. next to a park entrance or has a corner shop where kids hang out - I ve noticed there are more properties for sale in such locations.

Some roads are just better than others.

In the high end of the market - some houses dont exhibit a for sale sign at all. E.g. Resale luxury apartments never have for sale signs. So there is some "selective" process going on.

I'm seeing SOLD signs being left up for weeks, months in some cases??????

When you buy a house it's the very first thing you pull down yourself and stick at the botom of the garden as the stake will come in use at sometime in the future (Never does).

There's a SOLD near sign near me been left up for six weeks after the agent said it had been been withdrawn from the market by the vendor.

There's another SOLD been up since last November on a 650k Art deco sea front property??????

I'm sure this should come under that EA fly boarding offence.

One of our local EAs has taken to not displaying any properties in their window at all. Instead large poundland plastic table cloths with the words "Mega sale" scrawled in children's handwriting are on display.

The junior EA hobgoblin sitting on his own behind all of this looks very miserable indeed. The effect is very reminiscent of those con shops whose windows are displayed with offers like iPod from £3, Plasma TV from 1p etc (a new one of which has recently opened in my high st).

Hey,

Estate agents cannot put boards up where they like, there are specific rules about where they are allowed to put them, i have just sold my house and the agent said they had to put the board in our front garden (in a cul-de-sac where no one could see it) as opposed to the entrance of the cul-de-sac where they used to put them!

The estate agents life is getting harder these days, which is nice!

no i think he has a point, though it may not be down to EAs coluding (but what do i know!)

Some roads are worse than others - e.g. next to a park entrance or has a corner shop where kids hang out - I ve noticed there are more properties for sale in such locations.

Some roads are just better than others.

In the high end of the market - some houses dont exhibit a for sale sign at all. E.g. Resale luxury apartments never have for sale signs. So there is some "selective" process going on.

Utter rubbish with regard to not putting boards up on main routes, the spread of properties for sale is not some magical even % of houses in every street. If agents are going to be accused of anything then it is putting boards up outside blocks of flats where they don't actually have an instruction.

There are some well argued points/theories/experiences on this site even if you don't agree with them but there is a high level of complete tosh based on no facts at all and it devalues the site greatly which is a shame.

It may come as a surprise to some of you but some sales do take months to go through hence sold (subject to contract) signs can sit outside a property for a long time. More up market houses often don't have signs so not to attract the attention of burglars etc as they are likely to have higher content value.

I have just sold my house and the agent said they had to put the board in our front garden (in a cul-de-sac where no one could see it) as opposed to the entrance of the cul-de-sac where they used to put them!

These may be the rules, but not many are following them from what I have seen. The "forrest" of For Sale, SSTC, Sold etc boards are quite prevalent at the main road entrance to a cul-de-sac where I live.

There is any easy explanation for this and its called "friday and saturday night syndrome"

Chavs coming home from the Pub like nothing better than removing For sale signs and then replanting them nearer home! Makes sense dosen't it?

Something I've noticed in my area: Lots of "SOLD" signs along the main road from various agents. The catch is that these signs are not placed outside a specific property, just on the steep verge between the road and the fence. There is no way to tell which "property" has been "sold"!

:angry: