House Price Crash Forum

Kate Barker Writes... House Prices "provide Increases In Wealth

HOLA441

After seeing the other Kate Barker my wife has banned me from reading any more of her reports :lol:

I wonder if Kate Barker is even aware of the seven shades of shit high land prices are causing every industrial and productive sector of the economy - forcing them either to sclae back investment, not bother or simply sell up and move abroad. How many comapnes can't even recruit sutiable staff? How many people are not even bothering to look at entire professions and insudtries becuase they perceive (rightly so in many cases) that those industries will never be able to pay the increasing wages required to live even modestly in some/most areas of the country.

To be fair she does highlight the problem with high land costs in the report.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Reviewing the Barker Review and this bit almost made me choke;

On my first reading my reaction was - Is she serious, does she not know the difference between a loan and wealth?

Then I noticed the sting in the tail "in order to increase consumption" attached to the end of assertion... is this an incredibly cynical way of saying the benefit isn't to the home owner but to the economy?

Why do you need a loan to access it. If I sell you my house (Which I own and you buy it with a mortgage) and downsize, move into rental or move abroad to a cheaper place. Then I have accessed my wealth via MEW and I haven't increased my borrowings.

HOLA449

Today's economy is fundamentally different from the economy in your granny's day. Some key words: globalization (importing consumer goods and outsourcing), democratisation (Iraq) and emerging markets (Housing in Bulgaria).

Remember when Grandma told you to save your pennies? Remember when she gave you a banks savings book where you were supposed to write down every time you deposited part of your pocket money in your savings account?

Grandma loved you, but she was from another time. By teaching you to save she might as well have been teaching you to operate a loom. Saving is obsolete in today's world. Only spending money puts it to work. And money spent on a house works as hard as money can work, because then you can then borrow against the house and spend that same money on a new car, flatscreen TV, holidays etc., thereby creating new jobs, and all the while your house keeps increasing in value, no matter how much you borrow! It's like a magic circle of money!

Do you want to work for your money or have it out there working for you? Saving might have been smart in 1985, but it's 2006 now, and this housing boom has only begun, so get in while there's still time. Do you know who saves money? The Chinese. And needless to say, we don't look to the Chinese to decide what to do. As a result of all their wasteful saving, the Chinese housing market is in trouble. We are sophisticated enough to keep spending, so here there is no danger of collapse.

HOLA4410

Reviewing the Barker Review and this bit almost made me choke;

On my first reading my reaction was - Is she serious, does she not know the difference between a loan and wealth?

Then I noticed the sting in the tail "in order to increase consumption" attached to the end of assertion... is this an incredibly cynical way of saying the benefit isn't to the home owner but to the economy?

I don't know about that but forget Barker - barking, more like.

See my signature - there is no wealth creation in the property makret - only re-distribution. Consumption is the same. Stupid woman.

HOLA4411

Why do you need a loan to access it. If I sell you my house (Which I own and you buy it with a mortgage) and downsize, move into rental or move abroad to a cheaper place. Then I have accessed my wealth via MEW and I haven't increased my borrowings.

Acht give me a break you know fine well what Ms Barker is refering to...

Your suggestion is not "Mortgage Equity Withdrawal" it is selling your home. Taking up a new smaller mortgage is not MEW'ing it's an entirely different thing.

Oh and the last time I checked, hardly anyone ever does downsize.

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

HOLA4412

Acht give me a break you know fine well what Ms Barker is refering to...

Your suggestion is not "Mortgage Equity Withdrawal" it is selling your home. Taking up a new smaller mortgage is not MEW'ing it's an entirely different thing.

Oh and the last time I checked, hardly anyone ever does downsize.

Perhaps you should read this thread

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...ic=27297&hl=MEW

My suggestion is in Fact MEW

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Perhaps you should read this thread

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...ic=27297&hl=MEW

My suggestion is in Fact MEW

Thank for the link but it doesn't change the fact we both know exactly what Ms Barker is talking about and it isn't downsizing is it.

HOLA4416

Ruth Kelly is evil and must be destroyed.

The Barker Review into the supply of housing in the UK managed to conclude that taxing the uplift in land values when planning permission was granted would help increase housing supply.

So I have some land and I think I can make money building houses. Of course, if I have to pay extra tax on the project I'm bound to be encouraged to go ahead compared to if the tax wasn't there. Bonkers she is!

HOLA4417

link.kate.jpg

nfood29.jpg

imagine the lesbian antics with Ruth Kelly!

Fill the paddling pool with jelly - I can hardly wait.... :blink:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419