House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleBubbleTrouble

Kate Barker Writes... House Prices "provide Increases In Wealth

Reviewing the Barker Review and this bit almost made me choke;

1.10 This constrained housing supply has brought well-known benefits:

Rising house prices benefit home owners and provide increases in wealth which

can be accessed through equity withdrawal in order to increase consumption. It

can also benefit future generations through intergenerational transfers. (However,

this is clearly not of benefit to those outside the housing market and it is unclear

if in the longer term it leaves the household sector as a whole better off.)

On my first reading my reaction was - Is she serious, does she not know the difference between a loan and wealth?

Then I noticed the sting in the tail "in order to increase consumption" attached to the end of assertion... is this an incredibly cynical way of saying the benefit isn't to the home owner but to the economy?

Translation: increasing house prices provide ready access to large amounts of cheap credit. They sure don't provide new wealth, except to those who sell tat to MEW-ing 'home owners'.

So what exactly is the benefit to the home owner...

They can buy lots of tat and spend 25 years paying for it.

Not one of us here would not have been confronted by someone convinced that they are richer as they get further into debt...

all this has been about is speculation created by the true market..

and if anyone believes that the true market was not that of selling credit then I would love to hear your opinion..

This kate barker is an example of someone who thinks debt is wealth..

madness...

and I actually mean madness..

s

So this is Kate Barker [the Treasury official] Flash Gordon Brown gets to oversee a review of housing market, and also puts on the BoE MPC

I wonder if she's a 'dove' ??? :blink:

Has anyone got a picture of Kate Barker?

Whenever I am caught behind a stupid driver, when I finally get past them I like to look back to see what they look like.

I want to build a mental portfolio of what stupid people look like so I can avoid them where possible.

Whenever I am caught behind a stupid driver, when I finally get past them I like to look back to see what they look like.

I want to build a mental portfolio of what stupid people look like so I can avoid them where possible.

kate_barker.jpg

Billy Shears

Reviewing the Barker Review and this bit almost made me choke;

On my first reading my reaction was - Is she serious, does she not know the difference between a loan and wealth?

Then I noticed the sting in the tail "in order to increase consumption" attached to the end of assertion... is this an incredibly cynical way of saying the benefit isn't to the home owner but to the economy?

HPI is a zero sum game.....in which the gainers' profits are cancelled out by the losers' losses......

This is why TTRTR has over a million in equity while FTBs are paying through the nose for rubbish property their peers wouldn't have touched with a bargepole 10years ago................

Edited by Michael

Unbelievable.

So hvaing more debt means you're richer!

She claims that cashing in on the equity in the house (property) and spending it on stuff is good for the economy - true in the very short term - but what happpens when that money dries up? The economy slows down. So either way nobody benefits.

Homeowners have bigger mortgages and the economic cycle takes longer to correct itself thus prolonging the next recession, fantastic!

:lol: i like that

Dear Ms. Kate Barker,

Trading shares on zero interest credit cards increases wealth as well. Best thing is, it's unsecured debt so if the gamble goes bad, you can walk away and come back with a clean record two years later. No neg equity or downers like that.

hope that helps,

Dear Ms. Kate Barker,

Trading shares on zero interest credit cards increases wealth as well. Best thing is, it's unsecured debt so if the gamble goes bad, you can walk away and come back with a clean record two years later. No neg equity or downers like that.

hope that helps,

I thought that laws had changed so that banks could come after the house or other assets when people defaulted on unsecured debt.

Billy Shears

I thought that laws had changed so that banks could come after the house or other assets when people defaulted on unsecured debt.

Billy Shears

Really? When did it change? I thought Gordy's last master stroke for VIA's was still in place. Although, it would be a step in the right direction.

Really? When did it change? I thought Gordy's last master stroke for VIA's was still in place. Although, it would be a step in the right direction.

Erm, I think I read it in several threads here. So I haven't got a firm reference. I had a quick trawl on Google, but couldn't find anything backing it up. So unless someone can post some more detailed information I may have to withdraw my comment.

Billy Shears

Kate Barker the early years... err when she was young and fit younger...

link.kate.jpg

Shaker, I think that picture of the yong lady was downright disgusting and not relevant to the topic.

Got any more???

Shaker, I think that picture of the yong lady was downright disgusting and not relevant to the topic.

Got any more???

Yes sorry I belive I had the wrong Kate Barker. My most sincere apologies!

I wonder if Kate Barker is even aware of the seven shades of shit high land prices are causing every industrial and productive sector of the economy - forcing them either to sclae back investment, not bother or simply sell up and move abroad. How many comapnes can't even recruit sutiable staff? How many people are not even bothering to look at entire professions and insudtries becuase they perceive (rightly so in many cases) that those industries will never be able to pay the increasing wages required to live even modestly in some/most areas of the country.

We seen to have people in the BOE who can't see beyond the end of their nose, have no consideration or appreciation of business and the facts of life that a high cost base produce, this country is doomed. Who the hell is going to earn the money to pay future generations' health and pension costs? Not going to happen, now way, not with this myopipc cakc handed approach

Edited by OnlyMe

c_2_8.jpg

She looks just like an estate agent I used to date........She pulled some great shapes conducting after hours viewings too!

I know it was a little unethical but hey they'd screw you given half a chance.