House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bob2

New House Prices Up 6.6% In Canada

Canada is the "Scotland" of the US housing bubble - the end of the outer ripple.

My post must have been up for less than a minute before someone managed to come up with a reason why this information shouldn't affect their view of the world. Pretty impressive!

The Canada-US / Scotland-England analogy doesn't quite hold.

Different nation, different government, different interest rates, different banking system, restrictions on movement of labour/capital/goods between two etc etc etc

Edited by bob2

why would any foreign example be of any interest whatsoever?

Of course markets influence each other so foreign examples are of interest - but it is simplistic to claim that "Canada is the "Scotland" of the US housing bubble".

The reason I noted that Canada and the US are different nations, with different governments and restrictions on movement of labour/capital/goods between two etc etc etc was to make the point that Canada and the US are much more different to each other than England and Scotland are.

Anyway, people are constantly posting foreign examples - I thought I'd post one too.

Edited by bob2

Canada is in an oil bubble right now... and, even with price rises, you can still buy a four-bed house with ten acres of land within commuting distance of a provincial capital for 160k pounds.

Or, out in the sticks, a five bed 'fixer-upper' for 8k.

The main question is whether the Canadian government raise interest rates to tame the bubble in the West: which would continue raising the value of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar and hurt exporters in the East.

True. But either way Alberta is flooded with oil and gas money and there's some justification for prices increasing by stupid amounts a year.

Fortunately it's one of the largest countries in the world with a population of less than Britain, so there's a limit to how stupid prices can get.

Of course markets influence each other so foreign examples are of interest - but it is simplistic to claim that "Canada is the "Scotland" of the US housing bubble".

The reason I noted that Canada and the US are different nations, with different governments and restrictions on movement of labour/capital/goods between two etc etc etc was to make the point that Canada and the US are much more different to each other than England and Scotland are.

Anyway, people are constantly posting foreign examples - I thought I'd post one too.

bob, have you seen what 250k will buy you in Canada compared to the UK ?

no comparison

bob, have you seen what 250k will buy you in Canada compared to the UK ?

no comparison

Yes - I know quite a bit about Canadian housing. And yes - you do get much more space for your money out there.

However, there are drawbacks having large houses on large lots - the main one being that there won't be much within walking distance except more houses.