House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ShirtyTheSlightlyAggresiveBear

International Monetary Fund Declares Uk Soft Landing

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/housin...4521339101.html

These markets(UK and OZ) had successfully negotiated a slowing in price growth, from 20 per cent a year to zero per cent in a short period of two years, the report said.

No. It wasn't negotiated. Australia has dropped by about 30% against the wishes of the government and homeowners. UK has only just peaked. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah...

Guest Winners and Losers

No. It wasn't negotiated. Australia has dropped by about 30% against the wishes of the government and homeowners. UK has only just peaked. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah...

Blah-dee, blah. :rolleyes:

I AM TELLING YOU, THE AUSTRALIAN PROPERTY MARKET HAS CRASHED. SOFT LANDING MY F*NNY.

Not you Elizbth, you as in the general 'you'.

Edited by Winners and Losers

****. For an average to be 0% there must be many -ve falls and +ve rises. That implies not a static market but an uncertain market in flux with no direction. In equities/bonds those periods are v short and result in a movement back up or down reflecting fundamentals or sentiment - there is not "stagnant market" ever. Form your own views on where the house price ("temporarily static") market will go given the sticky downwards historic record...

If this is what a soft landing looks like...

Year Quarter Average YOYInflation

2003....Q1......133,711

............Q2......141,819

............Q3......162,121

............Q4......166,208

2004....Q1......168,928......26.34%

............Q2......177,128......24.90%

............Q3......189,139......16.67%

............Q4......185,797......11.79%

2005....Q1......185,194......9.63%

............Q2......189,852......7.18%

............Q3......199,051......5.24%

............Q4......188,944......1.69%

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1156110

...I'd hate to see what a crash looks like.

Interesting comment from Greenspan

Greenspan warns on global asset price fall

SEOUL, April 12 (Reuters)

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan warned on Wednesday a global glut in liquidity would result in a fall in asset prices.

He said the market value of assets worldwide had been rising faster than nominal gross domestic product globally due to a decline in real long-term interest rates over the years and a significant fall in real equity premiums.

“A good part of this expansion is a direct function of the decline in real equity premiums,” Greenspan said. “That cannot go on indefinitely.”

He said asset prices would begin to fall, but did not predict when that would happen.

“I am reasonably certain that what we are looking at today is an abnormal situation,” he said.

Asked whether he thought there was “irrational exuberance” in markets today, Greenspan said: “I would hesitate to use it in today’s context. Irrational exuberance, I think would be a stretch at this point.”

He had previously used the term to suggest signs of a bubble emerging in financial markets in the late 1990s.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/housin...4521339101.html

These markets(UK and OZ) had successfully negotiated a slowing in price growth, from 20 per cent a year to zero per cent in a short period of two years, the report said.

Price growth has dropped from 20 per cent to zero per cent in two years. Why is it more likely that it will now stick at 0 per cent rather than keep on with the trend?

Billy Shears

Guest Guy_Montag

Price growth has dropped from 20 per cent to zero per cent in two years. Why is it more likely that it will now stick at 0 per cent rather than keep on with the trend?

Billy Shears

That is exactly what I was going to say, if price growth stays at +/-2% yoy for the next couple of years, I'll call it a soft landing, but if the trend continues...