House Price Crash Forum
Waiting Patiently

Bbc Central News Tonight : "prices Falling"

Is anyone in the BBC Central area (Midlands) ?

The 10.00 pm national news has just started on BBC1 with the announcement that the local Central area news (within the next half hour) has a report on : "Boom or bust ..... prices of city centre flats (presumably Brum) are falling leaving buyers with losses"

It may be worth watching B)

Please report back to un non-brummies.

Cheers ;)

It was on earlier after bbc1 6 o'clock news. Story featured a couple who bought off plan and then when they got it valued recently they had lost about 25k. Cut to VI saying dont worry all is ok as long as your buying your apartment as home and not as investmnent. All in all quite bearish for the beeb.

Well it was only 2 or 3 minutes in length but indeed very bearish for the Beeb.

Mainly centred on Birmingham but referring to "city centre flats" generally the BBC reporter said buying one is a "risky business" ........... "buying off-plan may leave you with negative equity even before you move in as the prices are dropping" ......... and " it pays to do your homework if you're thinking of buying".

We saw the example of a young couple who recently paid £230k for their flat which has now been valued at £185k.

The VI who spoke briefly said buying to try to make a quick profit is not a good idea but buying "for a home" is OK, however he sounded downbeat and pretty defeated to me :lol:

Good stuff from the BBC for once.

Edited by Waiting Patiently

It was on earlier after bbc1 6 o'clock news. Story featured a couple who bought off plan and then when they got it valued recently they had lost about 25k. Cut to VI saying dont worry all is ok as long as your buying your apartment as home and not as investmnent. All in all quite bearish for the beeb.

Yep, don't worry, if you'd waited a few months you could've saved yourself 25K (not including the interest)

Guest Winners and Losers

The 10.00 pm national news has just started on BBC1 with the announcement that the local Central area news (within the next half hour) has a report on : "Boom or bust ..... prices of city centre flats (presumably Brum) are falling leaving buyers with losses "

Think WAL, think!!!

Nope. Sorry, does not compute.

Well it was only 2 or 3 minutes in length but indeed very bearish for the Beeb.

Mainly centred on Birmingham but referring to "city centre flats" generally the BBC reporter said buying one is a "risky business" ........... "buying off-plan may leave you with negative equity even before you move in as the prices are dropping" ......... and " it pays to do your homework if you're thinking of buying".

We saw the example of a young couple who recently paid £230k for their flat which has now been valued at £185k.

The VI who spoke briefly said buying to try to make a quick profit is not a good idea but buying "for a home" is OK, however he sounded downbeat and pretty defeated to me :lol:

Good stuff from the BBC for once.

I'd love to have seen the faces of recent BTL'ers as they saw this story. Lets hope it puts a bit of fear back into making major purchases.

Guest Winners and Losers

LOL It's called cognitive dissonance ;)

An example of cognitive dissonance is the phenomenon known as buyer's remorse, in which a consumer becomes conflicted, after the fact, with the issue of whether or not their decision to make a purchase was, indeed, a wise one.

OMG - now I know what's wrong with me. Thx! :o

Guest Winners and Losers

That's what's known as buyers remorse :lol:

Unfortunately I am afflicted with both sellers remorse and buyers remorse. Interesting that you should bring it up. Mr WAL is always accusing me of buying something and then complaining (endlessley) when I see it cheaper later. Therefore, knowing what I am like, I always hunt down the best price if I can in order to avoid the feeling of remorse. I need help. :unsure:

PS - I have been known, on several occasions, to buy something, take it back and buy it again at the cheaper price - on principle alone!

Edited by Winners and Losers

I expect they've picked this story up from the Daily Mail article: 'Crash cost us £20,000 and our home':

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages/art...ticle_id=408162

The housing market may be looking better generally, but the picture is not rosy everywhere -- as Adele and Travis Cowgill discovered to their cost.

The slump in value of newly built flats in city centres has meant that they have lost a deposit of more than £20,000. And they have no home to show for it.

The 10.00 pm national news has just started on BBC1 with the announcement that the local Central area news (within the next half hour) has a report on : "Boom or bust ..... prices of city centre flats (presumably Brum) are falling leaving buyers with losses"

Well Yorkshire BBC last night reckoned all you "Southern Nancy Boys" were coming North to bag a bargain. Hence prices were up 8%..a year..a quarter ? I'm not sure because I don't realy listen to the BBC any more.

Houses I was clocking last year are still on the market or brought back to market and still not attracting a buyer, though some have uped there asking price.

Edited by Catch22

Well Yorkshire BBC last night reckoned all you "Southern Nancy Boys" were coming North to bag a bargain. Hence prices were up 8%..a year..a quarter ? I'm not sure because I don't realy listen to the BBC any more.

Houses I was clocking last year are still on the market or brought back to market and still not attracting a buyer, though some have uped there asking price.

ah yes, the old "these foreigners, they come over here, buy up our houses" trick.

I'm come up north every weekend to "bag" something, but it ain't a house ;)

Was bag a typo :D

:lol:

Actually I goto West Yorkshire, so not far from your territory!

Edited by OzzMosiz