House Price Crash Forum

Living Way Beyond Our Means?

HOLA441

Saving rates as only slightly more important than buying gadgets

One in five adults are more likely to spend their spare cash at the end of the month on a shopping spree or a holiday than save for retirement, claims Aon Consulting.

Research of 1,680 adults in full or part-time work, highlights UK employees regard paying into pensions only slightly more important than buying the latest gadgets such as an iPod or Playstation Portable (PSP).

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...1714&cat=47-0-0

Fifty nine per cent of the UK population spend more than they earn

Cahoot, one of the largest internet banking institutions have announced some worrying spending cultures developing.

Cahoot's recent announcement stated that 59 per cent of the UK's population are spending more than what they earn. The result of these figures means that over 49 per cent use their credit cards to overspend and over 48 per cent use a bank account overdraft.

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...1713&cat=47-0-0

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA442

Saving rates as only slightly more important than buying gadgets

One in five adults are more likely to spend their spare cash at the end of the month on a shopping spree or a holiday than save for retirement, claims Aon Consulting.

Research of 1,680 adults in full or part-time work, highlights UK employees regard paying into pensions only slightly more important than buying the latest gadgets such as an iPod or Playstation Portable (PSP).

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...1714&cat=47-0-0

Fifty nine per cent of the UK population spend more than they earn

Cahoot, one of the largest internet banking institutions have announced some worrying spending cultures developing.

Cahoot's recent announcement stated that 59 per cent of the UK's population are spending more than what they earn. The result of these figures means that over 49 per cent use their credit cards to overspend and over 48 per cent use a bank account overdraft.

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...1713&cat=47-0-0

What is this firstdung you speak of? :unsure::unsure::unsure::huh:

HOLA443
HOLA444

This is not new news.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown demographics and ages vs. pensions, etc as the results given are averaged out and see how that has shifted over last 25 years.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the 18-30 age group has a far more 'live for today' attitude than ever before. Why is that then? We could be here all night with that one..........................

HOLA445

What is this firstdung you speak of? :unsure::unsure::unsure::huh:

Not sure mate, someone keeps sending me links and I appear on their google alerts for first time buyers, here try it, be my guest:

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&tab=wn...buyers&ie=UTF-8

Cheeky t*ats keep mailing me about mortgages too, Pink or someone, hav`nt they heard there`s a crash coming? :blink: I`ve heard on the grapevine the money grabbing bs`tard CEO is only in it for the money as well, where`s the pony tailed roller blading fun in that eh? :unsure:

http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en&q=first+time+buyers

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA446
Guest Guy_Montag

On five live this evening, there was a report (with brief interview with debt advisor) about the record number of IVAs. Unfortunately I didn't pay that much attention. So I can't give you any extra details.

But the net can:

Q4 2005: IVAs up 24% qoq & 117% yoy

For further information

Edited by Guy_Montag

HOLA447

This is not new news.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown demographics and ages vs. pensions, etc as the results given are averaged out and see how that has shifted over last 25 years.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the 18-30 age group has a far more 'live for today' attitude than ever before. Why is that then? We could be here all night with that one..........................

I`ll mail someone in the know and ask, good points, we probably already know the answers. but worth asking anyhow.

HOLA448

Why save though?

If anything goes wrong and you have been prudent enough to save money you will get get squat! Better off spending it on wine, women and song, then if anything goes wrong you get all the help you need :angry:

HOLA449
Guest Winners and Losers

I have to say that I do have my 'might get hit by a bus tomorrow moments'. FFS, I might never make it to 65! Live every day as if its your last! I think I want to enjoy life now. What is the point of scrimping and going without for a day that you may never reach? But you still have to, just in case. Sigh.

HOLA4410

Why save though?

If anything goes wrong and you have been prudent enough to save money you will get get squat! Better off spending it on wine, women and song, then if anything goes wrong you get all the help you need :angry:

In, fact you will be punished for saving and be forced to compensate those poor souls who pissed it all up the wall.

HOLA4411
Guest Vim Fuego

In, fact you will be punished for saving and be forced to compensate those poor souls who pissed it all up the wall.

However, on the other hand you could be like my mate......who's never saved a day in his life....has a house now with all that comes with it: gas bills, electric bills, council tax, mortgage - the guy is behind with all of these. I tell you, he is a shadow of what he once was....all for the sake of having some bricks around him...

HOLA4412
Guest Winners and Losers

However, on the other hand you could be like my mate......who's never saved a day in his life....has a house now with all that comes with it: gas bills, electric bills, council tax, mortgage - the guy is behind with all of these. I tell you, he is a shadow of what he once was....all for the sake of having some bricks around him...

Well Vim Fuego, welcome. At last, a reasonable post. Ah yes, the shadow of what you once were. Property does that to you. I am but a mere shadow of my former self - back when I thought property prices went up forever. Good for you VF. :)

HOLA4413
Guest Vim Fuego

Well Vim Fuego, welcome. At last, a reasonable post. Ah yes, the shadow of what you once were. Property does that to you. I am but a mere shadow of my former self - back when I thought property prices went up forever. Good for you VF. :)

hey thanks WAL!...please forgive me - sometimes I write without thinking..well actually most of the time I write without thinking! But hey, this is a forum....so...speak as you find I say!! :)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Why save though?

I recall popping in for a chat here over Xmas and so many were bragging scrooge-like re. the dustbins they`d trawled to the bottom of to buy their presents for their relatives. It made me take stock of a lot of the posters on here. <_< I`m not advocating total recklessness, but if you don`t take risks you risk missing out.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Bloody hell Charlie......phewee:( that is some list...

Follow the link Monday to Friday and you will spit your coffee out. ;) I have it added to my signature along with the companies winding up court.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest Charlie The Tramp

did this happen in the late 80s/90s crash ?

as i remember it was a lot of personal repos and ccjs, but not so much company wind ups.

We lost 28 commercial customers who went to the wall. One were third generation builders.