House Price Crash Forum
CrashConnoisseur

B B C: Unplugged Generation.

'Unplugged generation':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4895936.stm

At times, with makeover programmes wallpapered all over the television schedules, you might have imagined the UK was a nation of compulsive decorators, planning to spend the Bank Holiday weekend up a ladder.

But a survey suggests we're becoming more like Andy Pandy than Handy Andy with a paintbrush, more of a menace with a screwdriver than monarchs of the DIY manual.

Almost half of under-30s wouldn't know how to put up wallpaper -- and a quarter of them wouldn't be able to change a plug, claims the survey.

The older generation, the over-50s, put these cack-handed youths to shame, claims the survey, with almost all of them -- 94% -- confident of being able to wire a plug without blowing the electrics.

[...snip...]

The lack of interest in DIY has already sent an icy wind blowing through the aisles of home-improvement retailers, with B&Q recently warning of a contracting market.

And Wickes, wanting the public to rekindle its fondness for its lost paint brushes, this week reported that four in 10 households have DIY jobs that have been started and then fizzled out unfinished.

These bodged couldn't-do-it-yourself jobs have knocked £35bn off the value of the nation's properties, claims the shop.

Guest Winners and Losers

Looks as if Aunty's got the decorators in then. Damn, I was looking forward to giving her a good rogering tonight! :angry:

Ooohh - too much information WA.

My Dad, would be 65-ish now, always did everything in our houses, including wallpaper which was always perfect! I remember when I was about 10 he did my bedroom in Laura Ashley (matching wall paper, curtains, light). I thought it was the bees knees! It was not about making money in those days. They could do it, so they did.

And Wickes, wanting the public to rekindle its fondness for its lost paint brushes ...

And who says the BBC don't do advertising :ph34r:

What do they expect? We are all consumers. We're not supposed to do anything for ourselves and more and more of it we are banned from doing.

Look at Part P (in England, Part N soon to be in Scotland I believe) of the building regulations which all but outlaws anyone doing electrical work without paying for an expensive tax licence.

These nannying laws are brought in under the guise of preventing accidents yet have the opposite effect. There are already stories of vulnerable pensioners refusing to get needed electrical work done because they cannot afford it or are unwilling to allow strangers into their houses, when before their son or grandson would do a perfectly competent job.

Australia bans similar home electrical work and as a result everyone stacks up power bars and extension leads rather than get permanent wiring fitted. Result? An increase in electrical fires and accidents, not a decrease. The law of unintended consequences at work.

Soon we may be faced with a ban on repairing our own cars. I do a better job of that myself than even the main dealers.

Is it any surprise that young people cannot wire a plug? Or run their finances?

Almost half of under-30s wouldn't know how to put up wallpaper...

With the average FTB being 36, why would the under-30s want to be putting up wallpaper in the first place?

Edited by spleeper

Ooohh - too much information WA.

My Dad, would be 65-ish now, always did everything in our houses, including wallpaper which was always perfect! I remember when I was about 10 he did my bedroom in Laura Ashley (matching wall paper, curtains, light). I thought it was the bees knees! It was not about making money in those days. They could do it, so they did.

My mum was down last week and talking about the houses we used to move around when I was a kid. I don't remember that much of it, but my dad (would be ninety but died twenty years ago, long story...) bought several houses that were a bit of a wreck. They did them up, but my mum points out that he expected her to do most of the actual work (he was working, she was home with several kids either at school or not.)

One particular house, I remember when we got to choose the colours for our rooms and then help paint them. What I'd forgotten or never knew was that they had major rows while they were decorating that house because it was so much work, and one Friday night when she was complaining about it he insisted on wallpapering the front room at midnight, even though he was way too drunk. Apparently it was totally crooked but as they made up the next day they never got round to fixing it, so it stayed there until we moved on to the next one.

More rosy memories of the 1970s next week...

With the average FTB being 36, why would the under-30s want to be putting up wallpaper in the first place?

aclwalker

exactly..!!

they are so lost up their own asses the bbc didnt consider the fact that anyone under 30 is probably stuck at home still, or at best in some tatty bedsit flat that you wouldnt give a crap about anyway.

as if they are going to get all excited about painting up some shabby lodgings with the result still being sh1te....

These nannying laws are brought in under the guise of preventing accidents yet have the opposite effect. There are already stories of vulnerable pensioners refusing to get needed electrical work done because they cannot afford it or are unwilling to allow strangers into their houses, when before their son or grandson would do a perfectly competent job.

Australia bans similar home electrical work and as a result everyone stacks up power bars and extension leads rather than get permanent wiring fitted. Result? An increase in electrical fires and accidents, not a decrease. The law of unintended consequences at work. [aclwalker]

Absolutely. It's time we stood up to this nannying and bullying and told the state where to get off.

I'm in my early 30s, and when as a kid I got an electrical present like a racing car set, there was no plug on the power supply - just the bare wires. I had to wire the thing myself to get to play with my toy (or worse, told by my mum I couldn't take a plug off the lamp and I would have to wait until the day after boxing day to play with my main Christmas present!).

Anyway, by the time the under 30s got to this point, the law was that all these electrical goods must be prefitted with a molded plug. Why would they need to learn how to wire it? It's like complaining in 1930 that the youth of today don't know how to drive a horse drawn carriage.

I'm in my early 30s, and when as a kid I got an electrical present like a racing car set, there was no plug on the power supply - just the bare wires. I had to wire the thing myself to get to play with my toy (or worse, told by my mum I couldn't take a plug off the lamp and I would have to wait until the day after boxing day to play with my main Christmas present!).

Anyway, by the time the under 30s got to this point, the law was that all these electrical goods must be prefitted with a molded plug. Why would they need to learn how to wire it? It's like complaining in 1930 that the youth of today don't know how to drive a horse drawn carriage.

I had a Scalextric set which, if you left the power pack on too long, would fill the living room with a really exciting electrical buring smell. Try releasing that now.

More bo***cks along the usual lines. Times Bricks and Mortar crap like:

Mr and Mrs Ficticious bought their house with a full survey. The boiler corbals were OK in the survey, but three weeks after they moved in the boiler corbals burst, causing untold damage. British Gas were called in to declare that the whole heating system was a bit dodgy and really needed replacing, which they did for a mere £28000. If only we'd been called in earlier said the BG spokesman. Our heating test service at £850 +Vat is a real bargain. Everyone should get one. Mrs Ficticious added "What with the damage and the replacement bill being so much, my husband hanged himself in the garage last night. I wish we'd heard of British Gas's wonderful offer earlier, because I wouldn't be a widow and my four little ones would still have their Daddy."

The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister is expected to issue regulations later in the year compelliing all boiler corbals to be annually inspected and compulsorilly certificated following this tragedy.

Meanwhile the usual 3000 or so die on the roads every year

Meanwhile the usual 3000 or so die on the roads every year

That can't be so, we have countless speed cameras, nobody ever dies anymore.

Take your criminally incompetent pissed driver; probably never passed a test, uninsured, driving an unregistered car without tax or MOT, the machine has no lights and four bald tyres... this great bulk of illegality is swerving from one curb to the other curb narrowly avoiding on-coming traffic or anything in its way, but alas, he will face the wrath of the law... he zig-zags past a 30mph speed camera at 20mph and nothing happens. Even if it zoomed past at 40mph nothing would happen, they wouldn't even know where to send the fine.

As you can see, speed cameras are a perfect replacement for real cops, that's why our roads are safer and why nobody dies anymore.

If said driver kills somebody the powers that be will then call for stricter tests, in order to combat said 'drivers' who didn't bother to past any test, regardless of its complexity.

Edited by BuyingBear

ake your criminally incompetent pissed driver; probably never passed a test, uninsured, driving an unregistered car without tax or MOT, the machine has no lights and four bald tyres... this great bulk of illegality is swerving from one curb to the other curb narrowly avoiding on-coming traffic or anything in its way, but alas, he will face the wrath of the law... he zig-zags past a 30mph speed camera at 20mph and nothing happens. Even if it zoomed past at 40mph nothing would happen, they wouldn't even know where to send the fine.

there was almost the exact thing happen in burnley. driver as above (though sober) mowed down and killed a very young girl and got just 12 weeks jail time ??

even after appeal the sentence was not increased ????

though i agree fully with speed cameras. if you dont like them, then drive within the provisions of the law.

they cant stop a nut like above, but they do stop the casual speeder killing the casual pedestrian.

though i agree fully with speed cameras. if you dont like them, then drive within the provisions of the law.

they cant stop a nut like above, but they do stop the casual speeder killing the casual pedestrian.

I would argue that some unlicenced pissed driver is the greater danger, given a couple of ton of machinery such people could kill a number of pedestrians at only 15mph.

The presense of drink or drugs, the lack of insurance, or MOT, or licence, or roadworthiness, or even legal status is ignored and we selectively enforce one thing, because none of the former really matter, driving 1mph over the limit is more critical than any of the above.

So the younger generation can't wire a plug - what a shock.

The older generation can rollforward a database.

Different things are important to different generations.

My great great grandfather couldn't even turn on a PC.

Bang on the money ... bullseye.

I'm 34 and never put up a shelf, I've never even painted a wall. I rent, why on earth would I want to add value to someone elses house. I keep the garden nice though, but make sure when I move that any new plants are ripped up and binned, and any litter replaced.

Edited by CommonSense

These nannying laws are brought in under the guise of preventing accidents yet have the opposite effect.

Call me cynical, but I suspect it's more likely they were brought in to protect the income of electricians. Certainly I seem to recall the electricians' associations lauding the new regulations.

So why did the number of deaths on the road stop going down after speed cameras were introduced? A decades long decline has been pretty much flat for the last few years.

In any case, according to a Transport Research Lab study a few years ago, in most instances where a car hits a pedestrian, it's the pedestrian's fault: and in many cases they're drunk. Clearly it's time to introduce anti-jaywalking laws and breathalysers for pedestrians.

Part P, FENSA and in the future regulations preventing DIY work on heating systems are all about Tax.

In the past, many electricians, plumbers and joiners were small one man companies and would work for cash. Now if every job has to be registered, it is easier for the government to determine what tax should be paid. Add then the cost of membership fees to belong to NICEIC etc, once a charity now a commercial enterprise who make millions from these new regulations and pay more tax.

In the past I fitted windows/doors, installed heating systems and re-wired houses, all to a professional standard. If I did not know how to complete a task, I would go to a night class to learn, read a book or find out how to. I had lots of friends who would help and could do the same.

I have a degree in Electrical engineering, C&G 2381 and 2391 and a Chartered Engineer yet now, in the eyes of the law, I am not classed as been competent to do these jobs and expected to pay some “professional” to do a poor job and charge an exorbitant fee.

Tax and raising more money for the boys in government and justify why we need more civil servants is what it is all about – nothing to do with safety, better insulation or energy savings.

One big con, all run by the ODPM.

By the way I am 49 and also an expert with computers and software!

I have a degree in Electrical engineering, C&G 2381 and 2391 and a Chartered Engineer yet now, in the eyes of the law, I am not classed as been competent to do these jobs and expected to pay some “professional” to do a poor job and charge an exorbitant fee.

My old man mentioned this when those new regs came in a few months back, he's in the same position and officially he's not allowed to rewire a plug... or he has to have it certified by some inspector from the council :rolleyes:

there was almost the exact thing happen in burnley. driver as above (though sober) mowed down and killed a very young girl and got just 12 weeks jail time ??

even after appeal the sentence was not increased ????

His family have had to leave the area due to reprisals.

Edit: Although OH is competant at building computers and the like, it's my job to wire plugs etc as he doesn't trust himself not to blow up the appliance.

Edited by libitina