House Price Crash Forum

Abandoning Ship!

According to Darwinism, when faced with a difficult situation an organism may: adapt, die or move.

My time has come to move.

I have taken a short position on the UK and the GBP by accepting a job in a developing central European economy (& denominated in EUR).

The property situation here has had a lot to do with that. It slowly sapped my morale. This place seems like a gold rush area where most of the claims have already been staked and the new arrivals (whether new generations or people from overseas) are running around trying to find a scrap of space here or there. But the scraps don't represent much value for the risk that they carry.

The economy and society in the UK are both at this moment still looking ok, but it is seriously questionable whether the only way is up. Unfortunately when there is a HPC (which seems inevitable at some stage), I think that the impact that it will have on society generally will not be a pleasant one. Presented with an attractive option for exiting, I have taken it. Life won't be easy over there, but for different reasons.

I've enjoyed this forum immensely. The quality of posts is high. And the posters are fun.

I'll probably sneak a peek once in a while, but will do my utmost to resist posting.

Best wishes for the future and I hope your housing dreams come true, whatever they are.

Former newbie

According to Darwinism, when faced with a difficult situation an organism may: adapt, die or move.

I have taken a short position on the UK and the GBP by accepting a job in a developing central European economy (& denominated in EUR).

The property situation here has had a lot to do with that. It slowly sapped my morale. This place seems like a gold rush area where most of the claims have already been staked and the new arrivals (whether new generations or people from overseas) are running around trying to find a scrap of space here or there. But the scraps don't represent much value for the risk that they carry.

The economy and society in the UK are both at this moment still looking ok, but it is seriously questionable whether the only way is up. Unfortunately when there is a HPC (which seems inevitable at some stage), I think that the impact that it will have on society generally will not be a pleasant one. Presented with an attractive option for exiting, I have taken it. Life won't be easy over there, but for different reasons.

I've enjoyed this forum immensely. The quality of posts is high. And the posters are fun.

I'll probably sneak a peek once in a while, but will do my utmost to resist posting.

Best wishes for the future and I hope your housing dreams come true, whatever they are.

Former newbie

good luck newbie.

I've no plans to emulate you just yet(my workload is massive for the next couple of years!),but I have a couple of friends who are in the process of moving at the moment,and do feel slightly jealous!!!!

....I suppose I can take comfort in the fact that I can sit around and watch this country go to the dogs from a position of relative comfort,but in truth I'm dreading it,because I know there will be a lot of anguish,violence and generally be a fairly shitty place to live as it unfolds.

Good luck in the new locale. Things may get better here once the "Miracle Economy" has finally gone away and the shake out takes place. Might make us a better place for it--less materialsim and house worship. I hope. :)

Guest Winners and Losers

Make the most of it newbie - try and post in now and again, oh go on, for old times sake! :)

Hi Newbie

This post saddens me, but i know exactly where you are coming from. I consider myself quite a tough nut, i have not craked and given into Vested interest progoganda, but there is only so much i can take.

I have had a good look at myslef lately and i am following your path as well, i am lucky enough to have family and friends in the States.

By American standards there might be a housing bubble, but compared to UK prices they are practically giving property away, if your plan is to stay in the UK i advice you not to find out what you can get for £150K, it will make you weep.

I love my Country, but i am not living like a tramp(while in the top 10% of earners) anymore when i could be living the life i have always wanted.

I wish you all the best Newbie, and like myself i hope that our Country will give us the incentive to move back in the next couple of years. I am afraid Nu Labour will have to find someone else to fund junkies and 15 year old mums lifestyles, i have just had enough.

Sam

Former newbie

Hi

Good luck with your new life. I'd like to second the sentiment of asking you to post here occasionally. I'm sure you'll have stories of the cheap houses you can buy over there.

Billy Shears

Former newbie

What an absolutely astute last post. Class Act. We need more. Its a shame for this board, but not for you. Have a lovely life (you really should have changed your name - after a year you stop being a newbie!)

Newbie,

I left the UK 6 months ago... You will never leave HPC.co.uk. I cant help but check up on this site.

Europe is a very friendly place to live and work. Im in my mid 20's and my reasoning was along the

lines of investing in my future in a different way to being a slave to a mortgage in the current state of

overpriced property. It is worth the leap and I would recommend anyone to pick a country and go there for a few years... if it becomes a mistake... it the long term losing 2-3 years really does not matter, you become a more interesting person. Also... the ball and chain of a mortgage will always be there waiting for you back in the uk.

You have to realise the truth, there is no such thing as "being priced out of the market". It's a scare tactic, there will always be the option of hanging the noose of a mortgage around your neck.

CAS.

Edited by coolaftershave

Good luck Newbie, and good luck to all over whatever the coming months bring.

In all, I think this little island has had a comfy ride over the past couple of centuries, compared to some territories. It has become fashionable to do ourselves down, and belittle our national tendencies.

Whatever we believe our ideal targets and prospects, good luck to all.

Please do keep posting - just because you're not phyiscally in the country, it doesn't make your views invalid, and it is always interesting to get info on the situation in other countries.

Good luck.

Not if I have anything to do with it, you need to let us know what's going on in the mysterious land of milk and honey. ;)

Best wishes, and good luck to you.

Edited by BuyingBear

Great way to discribe it newbie.

For us lot it is exactly like that, we are to late to the party and the stakes have already been handed out.

Was talking to a woman yesterday about 60 year old, and she could hardly contain her excitement about how she paid 40k for her house 5 years ago that is now worth 130k.How do i know that, well she kept telling me .

She had no sense of how me working earning more than her counldnt pay 130k, none at all it never crossed her mind that her little terraced ex council house was outta my reach.

Obviously i hadda blow her bubble a little and tell her :)

gold rush with the stakes all taken is the perfect way to describe what the situation is for us.

And in the gold rush it was the people that set up supplying the miners with the equipment ect that realy made the big money, same kinda thing today.

Just we all know what happened to the gold rush ehhh, so i live in hope

Newbie, good luck mate, come back after we've scrapped the sh@t of the fan :D

hang on it's a gobal village, so we expect you to post any time soon, you hear?

homeless left the forum yesterday and he's back this morning, so no excuses from you will be tolorated :D

Am interested to know, for those of you who have left the country, how are you "investing in your future in a different way"? Have you bought abroad? If so, what kind of properties can you get for what kind of prices?

Just thinking of looking into a position in Europe somewhere as it's something I'd quite like to do at some point in my life. So would like to still feel I'm doing something financially sensible rather than just sodding off abroad and coming back with good memories.

hopefully when you get back TTRTR and Property Guru will be no more and we'll all be buying large repossessed Victorian houses in Wandsworth for 3.5 times our annual salaries! :lol:

Couldn't help laughing when your described where you were going without naming it as if it were sensitive information or a secret mission or something

Good luck!........