House Price Crash Forum
teddyboy

Hpc? Mainstream Or Small Community?

I would just like to gauge peoples view on where this is all going?

I personally would like this website to be in everyones 'favourites'. I dont care about the 'ins and outs' of who owns this and that. I am here to air my views, learn and to try and help out where I can.

Ultimately, we all came here thinking 'when is this madness gonna end?' and now a lot of us, through channels we knew nothing about, Politics / Finance / Economies / FTSE etc, believe that it WILL come to an end.

If 30% of the population can see, what we see, then I can't see anyone buying and propping up this house of cards. The problem is, we are a small community in a NASTY VI world. So whats more importnt to you?

HPC keeping its small, family feel or wider exposure?

TB

BTW I have no affiliation with FUBRA Im just a dumb scouser ;)

Guest Riser

The name is extreme - its what is needed to get the instant recognition needed.

Don't dilute the message

The crash will be extreme, the name should stay.

no dont remove crash - I think we are becoming more and more desenstitised to the word crash

look on the high street- maplins have "price crash" banners, in big lettering as well as Superdrug for its fine fragrence.

Why not houses?

looks like the poll is in favour of not removing crash - but for those who have already been scared off - they have not voted?

Edited by notanewmember

no dont remove crash - I think we are becoming more and more desenstitised to the word crash

look on the high street- maplins have "price crash" banners, in big lettering as well as Superdrug for its fine fragrence.

Why not houses?

I think many of us stumbled across this site by typing House Price Crash into Google; def keep the name.

Wouldn't want the site to lose its identity, but in my experience the name does cause the vast majority to take a prejudiced negative view of the site, and it does seem to put most people off.

I think many of us stumbled across this site by typing House Price Crash into Google; def keep the name.

yes I did that, roll back a of year (ok may be a bit more) - this is what happened

Step one - everyone is buying a house

Step two - I would like to buy a house

Step three - have a look at a local property rag

Step four - say omg I cant even afford a proper flat let alone a house

Step five - become depressed as you work out how much you need to borrow or save a deposit, only to be flabberghasted by people making lots of money on property programmes

Step six - have a look on google for more houses

Step seven - out of desperation you friviously type in house price crash

Step eight - you stumble accross www.housepricecrash.co.uk

Edited by notanewmember

I think it's too soft actually.

I think we should go for:

www.onlytossersbuyhousesatthetopofabubble.com

www.housepriceapocalpysenow.co.uk

www.housepricesgoupanddownyouidiots.net

www.motherofallhousepricecrashes.co.uk

ditto

I personally would like this website to be in everyones 'favourites'. I dont care about the 'ins and outs' of who owns this and that. I am here to air my views, learn and to try and help out where I can.

Ultimately, we all came here thinking 'when is this madness gonna end?' and now a lot of us, through channels we knew nothing about, Politics / Finance / Economies / FTSE etc, believe that it WILL come to an end.

If 30% of the population can see, what we see, then I can't see anyone buying and propping up this house of cards. The problem is, we are a small community in a NASTY VI world. So whats more importnt to you?

TB

As one dumb scouser to another the guys have the brands: housepricecrash and housepricechat... B) erm.. I think the expression is "go figure" ;)

TB

House price crash is a phrase it is something that is used in everyday conversation about the topic of a fall in house prices. It is a harsh phrase but if it was house price fall or something genteler it would hardly inspire people to post and really get the discussion going. I think people have strong views one way or the other.

For me it got me interested to read further it it hadn't have had a provocative title I would not have been intrigued.

www.onlytossersbuyhousesatthetopofabubble.com

www.housepriceapocalpysenow.co.uk

www.housepricesgoupanddownyouidiots.net

www.motherofallhousepricecrashes.co.uk

:lol::lol::lol:

It depends what everyone wants.

The name will always alienate the site from the public, and ensure a steady supply of like minded bears (googling HPC and finding the site by accident).

But the very name of the site means it will always be discounted/ignored as extremist.

The media think we are trying to cause a correction, whereas I think we are simply looking to document one.

Don't tinker with a winning formula...

I don't think you can make this site more mainstream by changing the name, all you would do is remove the reason people come here.

As the concept of a HPC becomes more mainstream the name will be less of an issue.

yes I did that, roll back a of year (ok may be a bit more) - this is what happened

Step one - everyone is buying a house

Step two - I would like to buy a house

Step three - have a look at a local property rag

Step four - say omg I cant even afford a proper flat let alone a house

Step five - become depressed as you work out how much you need to borrow or save a deposit, only to be flabberghasted by people making lots of money on property programmes

Step six - have a look on google for more houses

Spot on! :P

As one dumb scouser to another the guys have the brands: housepricecrash and housepricechat... B) erm.. I think the expression is "go figure" ;)

I wasn't aware we had the brand housepricechat? What do you mean by that?

Remove the name and start losing the identity... pretty soon you get swamped by people pro hpi, and it becomes just another house discussion forum.

There are plenty of other forums with property/HPI/HPC threads (FT, TMF etc etc). Many of those are well kept and intellingently contributed to. BUT, this site has something different, a raison d'etre, a USP, which is why it is what it is and is why we all found it - the crash connotation inspires the vigorous nature of the debate and dare I say it the often polar views of contributors. It is the heart of this site.

Change it and this place will die or wither away.

A good response and FYI I voted "Option 2" :D

I started this thread and I almost knew what the majority would think/vote. The problem I have when discussing things is people hear HOUSEPRICECRASH and have a 'knee-jerk reaction' to say "The government wont let that happen. Does anyone else have this?

We are fortunate in that we are rational thinking people (well discount me from that) and we take the site, subject and discussion seriously, most of the time. The 'sheeple' tend to think CRASH>They wont let all those people lose their homes again.

If there was HOUSEPRICECORRECTION then people would associate to that and say "yeah.. it is getting out of hand, the do need to come down. Who can afford them?" and you can then talk to them. I dont know if this is just people in my circle, but when described in a subtler tone I can get a reasonable conversation/arguement out of them :blink:

Anyway, I'm glad that most think the message should not be diluted, I just wonder if the sheeple would think the same?

TB

Edited by teddyboy

Royal Mail tried to change their name and look what happend.

If you're buying a brand, what's the point of changing it; that's what you spent the money for isn't it?

This sudden talk of changing names smacks of trying to sabotage the current reach of this site, in terms of search engines, user familiarity and public impact. So why would you want to do that??? <_<

I know you say you're not involved but why even ask the question? Edit: ok just seen your post above.

Would you change your user name on this forum? Unless you were trying to be underhand it would just confuse the hell out of people.

I'm open minded but will watch closely.

Edited by Foobar

Royal Mail tried to change their name and look what happend.

If you're buying a brand, what's the point of changing it; that's what you spent the money for isn't it?

This sudden talk of changing names smacks of trying to sabotage the current reach of this site, in terms of search engines, user familiarity and public impact. So why would you want to do that??? <_<

I know you say you're not involved but why even ask the question?

Would you change your user name on this forum? Unless you were trying to be underhand it would just confuse the hell out of people.

I'm open minded but will watch closely.

see post above

TB

well if its about money I ve got a suggestion

www.housepricecrash?whatanabsurdnotionsponsoredbyHALIFAX.co.uk

I m sure the moderators will welcome all balanced views on the housing market <_<

Edited by notanewmember

Hi,

The site is fine. If you want a wider audience for the subject (OK, I mean people more actively thinking about the issues on the street, not necessarily coming forward for solutions or assistance), get politically active. I have certainly noticed more media coverage now on the problems of housing. The Libdems, Conservatives, UKip, BNP, are all making central policy issues on it because it is one area they can attack NuLab on that they will not counter (House prices are unsustainable, damaging the economy and will worsen the pensions crisis for future generations - labour cannot dare let them fall as it will be seen in breach of it's election promises of no more boom and bust. Well, it would have been easier to control the excessive boom and avoid the can of worms but there you go). Certainly as a parent I am noticing more and more peers finally asking "how will my children have homes and families of their own?" Many people who have done well off the excessive boom are starting to see the longer term problems, the economy draining of momentum, the record levels of debt, the plumeting birth rates, even Mr Mike Dicken - the grumpy one of Talk Radio - LBC chat shows devoted a lengthy programme to it last week. Gordy and Tony have reaked havoc on the economic future of UK plc but I personally prefer HPC as a place to watch the market spasming and twitching under the current levels of overpricing, trying to see how Gordy and the "Independent bank of england" combined with lemming-lending policies of the banks, plan to get out of the mess.

Edited by boom_and_bust