House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Franz Klammer

Definition Of Furnished

There is no legal definition of a furnished property. A general guideline is that if a property is provided as fully furnished then the tenant should not need to spend any money on furnishing the property....it would be fine to live in.

Had a look on the CAB but no joy. Would anybody know of a resource where I can get a legal definition or guidlines of what a tenant can expect if a property is let as furnished?

Thanks in advance.

Mr Shed has summed up the definition of furnished but this would depend on what is written into the tenancy agreement.If you are considering furnished property carry out an inventory of the items so that there is no claim afterwards for damages etc.

Thanks, I'll use my current furnished inventory as a guideline and say what i reasonably expect there to be in the flat on occupation then. They can agree with me and I rent the place if not we don't.

Thanks, I'll use my current furnished inventory as a guideline and say what i reasonably expect there to be in the flat on occupation then. They can agree with me and I rent the place if not we don't.

As a Landlord, I don't ent out furnished, so would be interested to see what is considered as furnished.

Beds, sofas, tv, sky, internet broadband..what do you expect?

Had a look on the CAB but no joy. Would anybody know of a resource where I can get a legal definition or guidlines of what a tenant can expect if a property is let as furnished?

Thanks in advance.

This is on the CAB website:

Furnished accommodation

What furniture must be provided

If a property is let furnished as a tenant you could expect a level of furnishing that would be reasonable to allow you to live in the accommodation. This would include:-

* table and chairs in the kitchen/living room

* sofa and/or armchairs in the living room

* a bed and storage for clothes in each bedroom

* heating appliances

* curtains and floor coverings

* a cooker, fridge, kitchen utensils and crockery.

Any upholstered furniture must comply with fire safety regulations (see under Furniture fire safety, below).

If you think that the provision is not adequate, you can provide your own furniture, unless the tenancy agreement does not allow this.

If you are not happy with the condition of the furniture when you move in, you could consider discussing this with your landlord. Your landlord might agree to replace it. You could check what was listed in the inventory (if one exists) (see below), or tenancy agreement about the condition of the furniture.

I would consider furnished to mean the bulk furniture and fully furnished to mean everything normally needed in a household except TV's stereo's computers etc.

I think you'll find that LL's are becoming less willing to provide all furniture these days though.

You find that tenants are less willing to consider a charity shop style decor too. And less willing to pay as much rent as is asked for too!

:P

My landlord is trying to say that because he has rented me a flat with a cooker, washing machine and dryer, bathroom fittings, lights etc means that it is furnished. AM I going crazy or is he right? I understood that frunished meant that you could live in a place - he did not supply any beds, tables etc. Please help

My landlord is trying to say that because he has rented me a flat with a cooker, washing machine and dryer, bathroom fittings, lights etc means that it is furnished. AM I going crazy or is he right? I understood that frunished meant that you could live in a place - he did not supply any beds, tables etc. Please help

That's part furnished. Fully furnished should include furniture and beds - unless you agree prior that you do not require them.

My tenant didn't need me to supply a bed for her daughter because she already had one. I have equiped her flat with cooker, washer dryer, fridge-freezer, dish washer, 3 piece suite, dining table and chairs, double divan bed and matress, 4 meters of waldrobes and a wide screen TV and pretty much everything else she needs like curtains, blinds rugs, mirrors.

If she's happy, I'm happy :D

Mind you. I want to move into my btl in a couple of years so I did go a bit nuts furnishing it!

Going back to your question. You should ask your landlord to provide you with beds but a table isn't deemed as a necessity so I wouldn't even ask for one.