House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

An Apom Ramble..

Okay, I am a bear.. Not by choice, I am a bear because if I look at the market I see what I believe will happen and that makes me a bear..

I am happy with that, bears are cool.

I live in Devon, I earn a good wage.. very good for the area..

Not enough to convince me that I could pay of any mortgage enough to have a family..

So should I ...

1: Start taking life a lot more seriously..?

2: Start Taking life a lot less seriously..?

This got me to thinking..

I think I am going to resign my job, bug**r of to London IT contracting.. (*I still do have enough contacts to ensure success there..)

work for as long as they will have me..

Save some cash, have some fun..

and then of to america.. and slow across it on a harley..

a big one with tassels..

:)

Good plan?

Edited by apom

Good plan?

Excellent plan. I believe that affordability will improve in the next few years. Have some fun and wait for it to happen. Theres no point putting life on hold until prices come down, far better to accept things as they are and take advantage of the flexibility of renting.

Okay, I am a bear.. Not by choice, I am a bear because if I look at the market I see what I believe will happen and that makes me a bear..

Not enough to convince me that I could pay of any mortgage enough to have a family..

So should I ...

I think I am going to resign my job, bug**r of to London IT contracting.. (*I still do have enough contacts to ensure success there..)

a big one with tassels..

Good plan?

I worked out once that during the time I lived in London, struggling to pay a mortgage at an average rate of 10% for 10 years (10 years ago) I`d have been better off travelling the world <_<DO IT

do it.

i did something like that and it sorted me out.

sitting around in devon is ok if it was in your own home. you missed that boat for now. your simply sat in devon waiting for the housing tide to come back in. could be three more years. maybe more. maybe never.

when you go anywhere you can always come back. spent. regret free. then you could take devon life seriously. until you have this out of your system it might just fester all your daily boring plans. of waiting in devon for the housing in tide to come back in. again, could be three more years. maybe more. maybe never. not much of a plan.

if your not married and you have no mortgage then not going = manly weakness.

theres really nothing to stay for.

come back to devon when bagpipes make you homesick.

about 5-10 years. go to dallas. go to seattle.

go go go gadget IT worker.....

If your thing is martinis in Manhattan, karaoke in Kyoto or foie-gras in France then of course you will have to earn a few bob first. But, compared to the lorryloads of bullion required to purchase a small terraced house in your neighbourhood, having some mind-broadening fun can be done in a surprisingly economical way.

A few years back I had a 3.5 month holiday in Central America, mostly Guatemala, without really watching the pennies. Total cost £2.5k, and that included lots of very fun stuff. Examples: Average meal without shopping around: £1. Most expensive hotel I stayed in: £10 a night. Week of scuba diving some coral reefs, with accommodation: £100. I could easily have been out there a year for £5k.

It's kinda bonkers if you consider that's significantly less than a minimum wage worker earns in the UK.

frugalista

So should I ...

a big one with tassels..

Good plan?

1. Ditch the Barbie tassels on the hog dude!

2. Why take life seriously? It's too short man!

3. Not London, it sucks, riding the wrong tubes there man, head in a book swaying with the motion stop to stop, knowing where you are without ever looking, never making eye contact with fellow lemmings, dirty black shirt collars, bad air dude on that Oxford street oh yes and living in an urban ghetto...... No way.

4. I bought a sports car when I got fed up waiting for houses to drop, gave up on getting a mortgage as I was on contract and houses were expensive then they dropped in 94 and I bought. Houses dropped for a further 2 years but I was busy making my house habitable for a further 3 years and didn't care, hard work, great fun and a personal goal achieved.

"A watched kettle never boils" well it does but it's a lot slower and very boring waiting for it.

Give me a good salary in Devon any day rather than an average in london.

Do a coast to coast road trip across the states, buy your hog at one end and sell it on at the other.

(for a profit)

but no tassels.