House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Cameron To Make Affordable Housing Key Issue For Tories

Heard this on news last night. Excellent opportunity to play the politicians off each other - to our advantage.

G

"In his first speech as leader at a Tory conference, Cameron appealed to activists to back his reforms, warning them to prepare for more radical change. He insisted his modernisation programme would pave the way to power following three consecutive election defeats, saying the party was “on the way back”.

In a significant break from the past, Cameron’s speech made no mention of traditional Tory issues such as law and order and immigration, instead emphasising new themes such as the environment, the shortage of attractive and affordable housing for young people and the costs of childcare for young families. Cameron insisted that the party must be “the place to go for the exciting ideas in British politics”. In his finale, he told party members that the “fire of hope” in the party was “burning bright once again”.

ext from The Times

Edited by gruffydd

Err yes this would be good. But do bear in mind its cameron.

He just wants to get into power.

His party just wants to get into power.

Thats all.

So they will say what you want to hear, get your vote, then do what they want to do.

The reality is if they did something usefull, like build a shit load more housing (I'm thinking tower blocks here).

So FTBs could afford, then they would build themselves a HPC.

Now we all want that, but the electorate don't.

So all Cameron does is say "we want affordable housing", come up with some ineffective scheme, get FTBs vote, then not implement it.

Err yes this would be good. But do bear in mind its cameron.

He just wants to get into power.

His party just wants to get into power.

Thats all.

So they will say what you want to hear, get your vote, then do what they want to do.

The reality is if they did something usefull, like build a shit load more housing (I'm thinking tower blocks here).

So FTBs could afford, then they would build themselves a HPC.

Now we all want that, but the electorate don't.

So all Cameron does is say "we want affordable housing", come up with some ineffective scheme, get FTBs vote, then not implement it.

Agreed. Cameron and the Tories will now do anything to get in, the more I see the guy, the more I think he's a weasel!

They (Tories) have once again elected the wrong person. Thanks, guys, just when we needed some real opposition!

:angry:

Yes, but anything that puts pressure on NuLab on the issue is surely a good thing. The typical NuLab responses I have received over the last year - (1) "Affordable housing isn't a serious political issue" and (2) "There's no housing crisis as repo rates are so low compared with those in the early 90s."

Edited by gruffydd

But some Tories are not on message :angry:

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story....3A04%3A44%3A530

Actually, having read this article, the Tories appear to be the sensible ones :lol:

Breaking it down:

1) The council are trying to build 500 new homes, but its going to take a while (good)

2) The council need some temporary accomodation, so they are buying homes (bad)

3) The council needs to raise some money so they are selling land (bad & silly)

4) The council is run by the lib dems? ( I'm inferring that)

5)The Tories are moaning about the sale of the land (good)

6)The Tories have no policy mentioned to build new homes (bad)

So the Tories are effectively doing nothing. Unless I've mis-read the thing ;)

i think they made a bad mistake electing cameron as leader. he is too politically slick.

exactly like the last set of tories that were voted out. he is mini dracula.

they should have at least gone for someone less 'crispy' to have had a shot.

Unless they are going to build lots more houses in the suburbs and green belt which their NIMBY pensioner supporters will strongly oppose (and they are the ones who vote not young people) I don't really see what solutions the Tories have on affordable housing.

They keep saying how they are going to cut taxes but how are they going to do this if they commit to spending the same/more as Labour. Saying that the Tories won't get an overall majority next time round - a Tory lead of between 2% to 11% over Labour last time round would have resulted in a hung parliament.

Perhaps someone should therefore be telling us more about the Lib Dem policies on affordable housing as they are as likely as the Tories to be in power (as the junior coalition partner). I bet their policies are more credible (and Ming Campbell unlike Cameron has gravitas, has done real jobs outside politics and is not an oily out of touch public schoolboy living in Notting Hill)!

Heard this on news last night. Excellent opportunity to play the politicians off each other - to our advantage.

G

"In his first speech as leader at a Tory conference, Cameron appealed to activists to back his reforms, warning them to prepare for more radical change. He insisted his modernisation programme would pave the way to power following three consecutive election defeats, saying the party was “on the way back”.

In a significant break from the past, Cameron’s speech made no mention of traditional Tory issues such as law and order and immigration, instead emphasising new themes such as the environment, the shortage of attractive and affordable housing for young people and the costs of childcare for young families. Cameron insisted that the party must be “the place to go for the exciting ideas in British politics”. In his finale, he told party members that the “fire of hope” in the party was “burning bright once again”.

ext from The Times

Gruff it`s exactly the type of cheap opportunism labour were guilty of in opposition. What really is their answer to HPI, build more, no HIPs? We were asked to remove these 2 "images" of/relating to Cameron:

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...1676&cat=44-0-0

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...1652&cat=47-0-0

Edited by Converted Lurker

We don't vote to get the best government in power, we vote to keep the worst out.

I say the worst now is Labour.

Depends on where you are in the economic system. For al andlord NuLabour is poison because they will bring in rent controls (they have begun with the multiople occupancy BTLs) just as soon as unemployment passes the critical stage. Its in the blood--they can't help themselves.

Depends on where you are in the economic system. For al andlord NuLabour is poison because they will bring in rent controls (they have begun with the multiople occupancy BTLs) just as soon as unemployment passes the critical stage. Its in the blood--they can't help themselves.

You got it, their constant mistake is to take a working economy & mess it up.

It's sheer luck that have got Labour this far but I don't think the other lot have a clue either

Each party elected just seems to go with the macro economic flow and just adjust/tweak the economy to win elections

G

ext from The Times

Affordable housing already exists. It's called renting....you know much cheaper than buying. <_<

Affordable housing will just be big building projects (probably on green-field sites) with lots of TINY little flats starting at £60k each (for a studio flat the size of the average single garage).

He'll back this up by extending the shared homes scheme, because everyone wants a massive mortgage to own half a pokey house at the end of 25years :angry:

If he was going to attack some of the issues which have led to the current hideously high house prices then he'd have to have a massive clamp down on immigraton and program to remove failed immigrants, along with something to deter people from buying lots of homes as investments.

The multiple occupancy laws are there to prevent slums from forming. Higher rents will occur as a result.

All the housebuilding plans and other discussions are pretty irrelevant if you have record uncontrolled immigration.

It boils down to simple math.

(The fact that a high earning public sector offical like a doctor on 150kpa can outbid a FTBer by 40% thanks to SIPPS, shows whats going on with our corrupt law makers)

Edited by brainclamp

I admire what Cameron is trying to do, though I have serious doubts as to his sincerity, they are already back tracking and the old school will win the day, as they always do. In reality the nimbies will never allow anything to change, the present system suits them too well. Anyway, it seems most petty minded Tories really do not believe this to be an issue.

On the same day Cameron launched his 'bananas' attack the Tory spokesperson was back tracking, talking the same high density, ultra-urban, part ownership and greenbelt expansionism crap just like NuLabour, it's the same blueprint for disaster from both parties, and Labour actually have the least to lose when it comes to votes in these areas.

By the time the nimbies give way and die off the Tory party itself will go the same way, anyone under 30 doesn't owe the current establishment anything, seemingly apart from paying for their pensions.

The grassroots already dislike the present state of affairs, they would grass over half the housing estates and motorways if they could :-

Sir - I have always voted Conservative but, since his election, Mr Cameron has ditched many of the things I believe in.

He recently categorised as "nimby" those of us in the South-East who don't agree with the policy of building more and more houses here. In this area, our roads are gridlocked, our trains overcrowded at peak times and our courts overstretched by the volume of crime. To see a GP I have an option of seven days to see any doctor in the practice or "ring again tomorrow" for an emergency appointment. And we have a hosepipe ban because we are short of water. The infrastructure in the South-East cannot cope with the current population, let alone the thousands more to be added. That is our objection.

I'm sure it won't worry him that he has lost my vote - I am too much an old-fashioned Conservative for the modern party. But if too many of us are turned away, he may deny himself the victory he seeks.

Sue Eagle, Maidenhead, Berks

How cuddly!

Edited by BuyingBear

Affordable housing will just be big building projects (probably on green-field sites) with lots of TINY little flats starting at £60k each (for a studio flat the size of the average single garage).

Too true, it's deep into pisstake territory, they're called iPad's, two people living in just 380 square feet is on the same level as the proverbial Chinese cell for political prisoners.

Which is rather apt as 'young people' in this country are essentially 'political prisoners', they have no voting power, no chance of home ownership, huge debts for worthless degrees, no pensions whilst they're simultenously expected to pay for everyone elses generous pension so they can retire at 55, and they're also expected to pay for everyone elses mortgage.

90% of the UK is full of sweet F.A. so we must force people to live like battery hens, as such we're the only country in Europe to be progressively building smaller homes, we are now second only to Greece (and they're going the opposite way), the average new home in Germany is over 50% larger at >125sq/m whilst the UK is <80sq/m and falling, rapidly. Never in the course of human history have standards dropped by so much and so quickly, give us today our Victorian slums!

Feudalism is always matched by falling living standards.

Edited by BuyingBear

Buying Bear - young people in the UK have plenty of power but they choose not to exercise it. Maybe they could learn something from the French!

Buying Bear - young people in the UK have plenty of power but they choose not to exercise it. Maybe they could learn something from the French!

That's true, they've been bought off with 24 hour drinking. However, even if each and every 'young person' was dragged to the polls they'd still be out voted.

Guest Vim Fuego

G

ext from The Times

Have you not realised by now that ALL politicians are *****ers.Labour...Tory.... Liberal?

Agreed. Cameron and the Tories will now do anything to get in, the more I see the guy, the more I think he's a weasel!

They (Tories) have once again elected the wrong person. Thanks, guys, just when we needed some real opposition!

Yeah but don't say that to whoops apocalyse....he 's a dedicated Cameron lover

You're right; another chinless wonder picked solely for his fresh-faced appeal to the female blue rinsers "Ooh isn't he nice". All medium and no message.

Study him closely, he's trying so hard to be like Blair but is totally devoid of the animal cunning or, I strongly suspect the intellectual machinery of his role model.

You have two moral imperatives in this life: to be an atheist and to be apolitical. With clowns like C. on offer the second imperative is easy to follow.

We don't vote to get the best government in power, we vote to keep the worst out.

I say the worst now is Labour.

The British eh???? You couldn't make it up!!!!

The Tories are rubbish but lets vote for them anyway because they are New rubbish.

And round we go again - from Thatcher/Major to Blair and on to Cameron.

With each one the middle classes whinge on about taxes, house prices, immigration etc.

Here are a few tips for you all.

Britain is overcrowed for its size.

There are too many people using its services (NHS, schooling, roads etc).

The poor will always be poor and the rich will be rich.

We live in a capitalist society.

The only change you can make it by getting out and doing something yourself by working harder, volunteering in the community and contributing.

Don't look to politicians to make your life better.

So put down the Radio Times, don't go to Pizza Hutt, turn off the PC and get out there and make Britain great again :o .