House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BillyShears

Gold Price

I've just found this graph showing gold prices over 30 years.

http://goldprice.org/30-year-gold-price-history.html

Is this in nominal terms? It looks like gold hasn't really increased in price for decades and as money becomes less valuable over time, the real value of gold must have been falling.

Is this wrong?

Edit:

I found this article:

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_05/laird021506.html

discussing the price of gold adjusted for inflation. It even uses the same graph as the first article.

In my admitted ignorance, I can see arguments for gold not being at the top of a bubble. While I assure people that I won't go out and buy some, how can I learn more?

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

I've just found this graph showing gold prices over 30 years.

http://goldprice.org/30-year-gold-price-history.html

Is this in nominal terms? It looks like gold hasn't really increased in price for decades and as money becomes less valuable over time, the real value of gold must have been falling.

Is this wrong?

Edit:

I found this article:

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_05/laird021506.html

discussing the price of gold adjusted for inflation. It even uses the same graph as the first article.

In my admitted ignorance, I can see arguments for gold not being at the top of a bubble. While I assure people that I won't go out and buy some, how can I learn more?

Billy Shears

That Billy is nominal.

Take a look at this baby for the real story.

Real_gold_price.gif

It's really up to you, follow your instincts. The conclusion I came to was that cash in the bank was losing value very quickly against most stuff like tax, fuel, houses, food, gold of course, regardless of what GBrown says. The CPI is not so much dishonest as useless!

So truthfully, I decided that cash was definitley more risky than gold. I think cash is at nearly as much risk as property right now.

post-4154-1144585031.gif

Edited by Columbo

It's really up to you, follow your instincts. The conclusion I came to was that cash in the bank was losing value very quickly against most stuff like tax, fuel, houses, food, gold of course, regardless of what GBrown says. The CPI is not so much dishonest as useless!

So truthfully, I decided that cash was definitley more risky than gold. I think cash is at nearly as much risk as property right now.

I would rather follow something a bit more reliable than "my instincts". As an example, while I don't gamble, there have been several times in my life when I've been aware of odds for betting on sports, sports that I followed and thought I knew, and I thought that the odds were crazy and I'd be fairly sure of being quids in if I bet some dosh. In all of these situations, I was wrong and the bookies were right.

Looking at the graph, it looks like Gold is on an upward trend, and there's that big real peak of $2.176 or thereabouts in today's money to compare it to. But if you edit out that peak, gold has been up and down in a fairly random looking fashion and looks high now. I'd want to investigate the reason for the big bubble before, and then look into whether there is reason to believe that it could happen again.

I have been thinking that I could put say 5K in some sort of investment other than "safe but boring". 5K is an amount such that if I lost it completely, I would be extremely annoyed, but it wouldn't severely damage the lives of me and mine. I would not want to put this into an investment where there is the possibility of losing far more than I invested.

Barclays wanted me to buy a "bond" which would lock much of my cash into UK currency for a year. I'm very reluctant to do that unless I have some sort of reason to believe that the UK might keep interest rates low while the rest of the world raises them.

Bird flu is also a big unknown. Especially since it could hit Asia hard and first.

I think I need to shut up for a while and read many threads on this and other forums.

Billy Shears

That Billy is nominal.

Take a look at this baby for the real story.

Real_gold_price.gif

GREAT CHART!!!!

bears out what I said a while back......technically I was looking at $2200 this time around.

....I think we may see more if events transpire against us......now the media seem hellbent on ramping up assets to fuel economies I think with the right conditions we may get 4k/oz!!!.......and very few people are aware of the tax implications yet!!!!(you can invest bullion in a SIPP tax free...but it was already...if you hold the correct type of bullion!)....people are still focussed on houses!!!!!!!

Guest Riser

GREAT CHART!!!!

bears out what I said a while back......technically I was looking at $2200 this time around.

....I think we may see more if events transpire against us......now the media seem hellbent on ramping up assets to fuel economies I think with the right conditions we may get 4k/oz!!!.......and very few people are aware of the tax implications yet!!!!(you can invest bullion in a SIPP tax free...but it was already...if you hold the correct type of bullion!)....people are still focussed on houses!!!!!!!

Do you have a link which explains which is "the correct type of bullion" and how to invest it in SIPPS?

The main problem I have with SIPPS is that I believe you must transfer the assets in into contol of a third party and if the government ever decide to confiscate bullion as they did once in the States the SIPPS manager may have no opton other than to comply.

Do you have a link which explains which is "the correct type of bullion" and how to invest it in SIPPS?

The main problem I have with SIPPS is that I believe you must transfer the assets in into contol of a third party and if the government ever decide to confiscate bullion as they did once in the States the SIPPS manager may have no opton other than to comply.

sorry I don't have a link,i'm just going on what I've read in papers.

...but british bullion coins post 1837 are still classed as legal tender and so exempt from CGT.That info is freely availble on hmrc.gov.uk website.

when are people going to wake up and realise WHY the gold price is rising.

yet again, like spin, the truth is never told yet the fundamentals are there for all to see.

WHY is gold rising ?

WHY is there a bull run in commodoties ?

we could give many reasons and read many articles, but the TRUTH behind the surge is never revealed.

what is the real reason why the WORLDS MAIN CURRENCY IS RISING SO FAST ?

please shed some light and make some sense instead of providing charts and stats. plain english in 1 line would do just fine.