House Price Crash Forum

I E A: Radical Shake Up Of British Land-use Planning Rules Advocated By Iea Study.

HOLA441

'Radical Shake Up of British Land-Use Planning Rules Advocated by IEA Study' [December 2005]:

http://www.iea.org.uk/record.jsp?type=release&ID=102

Britain's government controlled land-use planning system is holding back development and should be replaced with a diverse range of alternatives according to a new study published today by the IEA.

The study, edited by Chris Webster, Professor of Urban Planning at Cardiff University, shows that under present planning regulations Britons live at a density that would astonish Americans and often live in close proximity to environmental hazards such as railway lines, motorways and industrial areas. This is because existing regulations are so weighted against development of green field sites.

The study looks at planning institutions that have worked in practice overseas and sets out a number of alternatives to Britain’s current regime. The alternatives have all proven to be more effective than the British system which is dominated by political control.

Edited by Jeff Ross

HOLA442
HOLA443

Yup, all the noises from the political parties seem to indicate that the planning "pendulum" is about to swing in the other direction (i.e. liberalising land use extension).

Speaking to a guy at work who used to live in Munich. Apparently the German planning system is something like this:

• Local authority decides that a town or city needs to expand.
  • They make a compulsory purchase of agricultural land bordering the city, at agricultural land prices
  • The farmer has a chance to appeal the purchase in the courts.
  • Assuming there is no successful appeal the local government then changes the land use to residential (or whatever).
  • The land is then sold on the open market to a developer.

Does anyone know any more about this?

frugalista

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

If you're interested in how our "Soviet style" government controlled planning system has led to the current house price bubble check out the excellent reports from the Policy Exchange, links to them here;

http://www.pricedout.org.uk/Research/Indep...07/Default.aspx

They are real eye openers and lay bare the fundamental flaws in our planning system that lead to bubble after bubble after bubble. It's time for a change...!

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

HOLA447

In answer to Buylowsellhigh.

Errr...... No.

I take it you fully support our agriculture by buying only british farmed goods ?

How developers are allowed to erode the areas we grow up in and call home by building on every square inch of available open space just to save 'countryside' for the nobs with horses makes me fucking sick by the way..... Im all for change, and quickly.... Before every built-up area is ruined forever....

Most of us have no interest in greenbelt agricultural land...... We work for 47 weeks of the year only to come home every night past poxy shoebox estates full of hosepipe wielding mini cooper owners where the real useable open space used to be on our doorsteps, within the community.......

Edited by keepwatching

HOLA448

Don't change this system, it works for some.

Let's not confuse matters, by some you mean the 'few', the very few, which are a handful of petty minded nimbies that hold undue influence and a cabal of robber barons that feed off an artificial shortage, much like a war time spiv.

Does anyone know any more about this?

The process of zoning and the setting of standards to incorporate open spaces and to prevent the re-emergence of slums is common practice in many countries, especially if they still hold notions of the 'common good'.

The UK has never really broken free of feudalism, we didn't have our revolution, as such our system doesn't espouse anything other than undisguised selfishness, despite any brief glimmers to the contrary in the past. The only 'betterment' is to the bottom line.

HOLA449

Let's not confuse matters, by some you mean the 'few', the very few, which are a handful of petty minded nimbies that hold undue influence and a cabal of robber barons that feed off an artificial shortage, much like a war time spiv.

During the early phase of the French revolution, the penalty for speculators was death by guillotine....

frugalista

HOLA4410

It's odd how in every town and city I'm familiar with in britain most of the houses were built on greenfield sites between 1875 and 1975 but bugger all has been built since.....

and when i drive around our ''crowded '' isle I pass mile after mile of desolate and unattractive and uneconomic farmland that needs developing

HOLA4411

Hello Keepwatching,

There was supposed to be a 'smiley' at the end of my feeble one-liner attempt at a joke, but it did'nt show on the post. I am being blocked from editing my post's also, so I could'nt go back to it and do the fix. Here it is again :D

I take it you fully support our agriculture by buying only british farmed goods ?

I don't, no. I don't even live in the UK.

---

HOLA4412