House Price Crash Forum

Best Mini Cash Isa?

delboypass

HOLA441
HOLA442
Guest Guy_Montag

it's one of those regular savers ones (no more than £250 a month). Fine if that's how you want to save, but if you have a 3k lump sum, I believe (though I've not done the sums) that Alliance & Leicester @ 5.20% is currently the best instant access. Nice 'cause when you lose the .7% bonus at the end of the first year, you can shift it all into the next best account.

You can move any other ISA money into it too. :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

I've just seen the Portman 8% thing. It would be best to go for that at 12x£250 and then put the lump sum in a normal savings account like ICICI.

Sums:

Lump sum:

4.9% - £147 (Portman)

5.2% - £156 (A&L)

Reg Saver:

8% - 120 (Portman) PLUS

5.15% - £77.25 (Taxable) (20% tax: £61.8)

Total: £181.80

HOLA445

I've just seen the Portman 8% thing. It would be best to go for that at 12x£250 and then put the lump sum in a normal savings account like ICICI.

Sums:

Lump sum:

4.9% - £147 (Portman)

5.2% - £156 (A&L)

Reg Saver:

8% - 120 (Portman) PLUS

5.15% - £77.25 (Taxable) (20% tax: £61.8)

Total: £181.80

Transfer out penalty: 30 quid. This wipes out any gains made over direct deposit into the AL&L account @ 5.2%

HOLA446

Transfer out penalty: 30 quid. This wipes out any gains made over direct deposit into the AL&L account @ 5.2%

Ok, fair point. But will A&L offer a reasonable interest rate in a years time? I have found Portman to be reasonable with their ISA rates. Fixed terms are currently 4.75%.

HOLA447
HOLA448

even so - transfer your ISA out in a years time

I currently have one in HBOS. might transfer that out to A&L as well.

screwed if rates go up so hopefully they would increase interestrates on the account. (am i dreaming :lol: !!)

Delboy, exactly. I'm with A+L, and have no intention of touching my ISA. If the rate changes for the worse and there is a better deal, then I will simply move it out.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Anyone know where the best saving rate for a mini cash ISA is??

Ive seen this one but i dont believe it!!

Portman 8%

Any others??

Have a halifax one from last year i think at 5%

National savings have one at 5.05, guaranteed to be .55% over the base rate until April 08 (2 years). Seems to be the best longish term offer at the moment.

http://www.nsandi.com/products/disa/index.jsp

Edit to add no transfers in though :(

Have a halifax one from last year i think at 5%

The Halifax have dropped the rate recently to 4.75%.

Edited by erd

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I went for A&L (5.2%) this Jan. The reasons being they allowed transfers in, and I dont think theres an early withdrawal penalty.

Halifax were paying 5% at the time (and thats not a bonus rate)

Edit: Just seen B&B are paying 5.1% on mini cash ISA's and the rate is fixed for a year - sounds like it might be a good bet, seeing as A&L do tend to have great introductory rates, but 6months later they slash them.

Edited by Pete95

HOLA4413

Is it a good idea to avoid Building Society ISA's.

With the onset of the crash won't they be hurt most by mortgage defaults and have to claw money back from other sources.

Maybe the likes of Halifax, A&L etc can only offer the good rates "While the sun still shines", Would it be better to look for and ISA's and other investment with companies that will be less sensitive to the HPC.

HOLA4414