House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BillyShears

The Definition Of Poverty

I just looked up the definition of "poverty" in the UK. Seems poverty is defined as 60% of median income. That's a bit of a convenient definition. If the economy really went t*ts up, or there was a nuclear war and we all ended up scratching a living during a nuclear winter it'd be OK because only a small minority would be poor.

The reason I looked this up is because it seems logical to me that the inability to buy any sort of home seems a pretty conclusive indicator of "poverty". Hence with massive HPI, by my definition, lots more people should be poor. But the official definition says no.

What do people think? Inability to buy 1 bed studio flat == poverty?

Billy Shears

Guest Guy_Montag

Of course, it means poverty can never be eradicated, & the only way to get rid of pensioner & child poverty is to put childless individuals & couples into poverty. Shit, that's me! :ph34r:

The reason I looked this up is because it seems logical to me that the inability to buy any sort of home seems a pretty conclusive indicator of "poverty".

thats social poverty and its not included.

are you hungry ? no. cold ? no.

then thats ok then.

now get back to work shears...these jacobs biscuits wont bake themselves and walk to the customers mouths.

we need to first bake them, then market them. lets go umpa lumpahs.

oompa oompah fiddly-dee..if you are vise you vill listen to me.....

Guest Winners and Losers

thats social poverty and its not included.

are you hungry ? no. cold ? no.

then thats ok then.

now get back to work shears...these jacobs biscuits wont bake themselves and walk to the customers mouths.

we need to first bake them, then market them. lets go umpa lumpahs.

oompa oompah fiddly-dee..if you are vise you vill listen to me.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I just looked up the definition of "poverty" in the UK. Seems poverty is defined as 60% of median income. That's a bit of a convenient definition. If the economy really went t*ts up, or there was a nuclear war and we all ended up scratching a living during a nuclear winter it'd be OK because only a small minority would be poor.

The reason I looked this up is because it seems logical to me that the inability to buy any sort of home seems a pretty conclusive indicator of "poverty". Hence with massive HPI, by my definition, lots more people should be poor. But the official definition says no.

What do people think? Inability to buy 1 bed studio flat == poverty?

Billy Shears

It also means that if everyone in Britain were millionaires, the bottom 40% would still be defined as poor.

Hmmmmm...

<_<

a lot of italians are lira millionaires. yet they are still poor.

When I was in Japan, I noticed at one point that my bank balance was heading in the direction of one million yen. I stopped buying stuff and let it happen. So for once in my life, I was a millionaire. With all of about, oh at the exchange rate back then, 4000 quid in there.

Billy Shears