House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CommonSense

Marriage

Guest Guy_Montag

No, but decided not to get married due to high marriage prices & keep the money for a house.

20k for a big party, that's a significant deposit, even today.

Has anyone decided not to get married due to high property prices?

Mr Goat and I have decided not to get married for various reasons and I suppose the house thing could be one of them.

But I can think of many more, such as...

...I hate weddings and all the paraphernalia that goes along even with the smallest one.

...Both my parents have divorced twice (Mum's on her third marriage and yes, she changed her name each time!).

...I can think of better ways to blow £20,000+ in a day.

...I'm agnostic.

...Myself and Mr Goat don't feel the need to 'express love' infront other people.

Oh yeah and I can't afford it because I want to buy a house.

EDIT: As you can tell by the rant above, our families are pressurising us at the moment! Mr Goat's 'stupid sister' even asked me if we were splitting up, she was apparently concerned that we've been together for 8 years and haven't made any plans to marry! :angry:

It can end in either death or divorce, not really a winner.

The only point to marraige as far as im concerned is the legal rights. Other than that the piece of paper aint worth jack, of course though some girlies have a planned a wedding since they were 4 so it might have to be done either way.

Woman are marrying to divorce nowadays (MTD)

Another way of getting property - other than jumping the councils housing list queue by getting preganant

Just another tradition being exploited for material gain in todays world...

Another way of getting property - other than jumping the councils housing list queue by getting preganant

Some are but lets not forget there are some women who are financially independant and still single :)

of course though some girlies have a planned a wedding since they were 4 so it might have to be done either way.

As much as I'd love to tell you you're wrong, sadly you're not. So many of my friends as soon as they're engaged change into organisational driven monsters. I actually fell out with one friend over it a few years ago (we still don't speak), she wanted me to leave my dying grandmother's bedside to go dress shopping with her! Before she got engaged she was a perfectly normal and reasonable human being, as soon as the ring went on her finger she became a monster.

Many of my friends seem to get upset if you are not as excited as they are about the dreaded day, I was told off by one mate for asking what date her wedding was (apparently I was supposed to have the date ingrained on my brain).

Something I have noticed though is that it is not 'fashionable' anymore to admit to planning your wedding from the age of 4. So many of my friends, esp. when we were in our twenties, would mock the idea of marriage, it has since become apparent that this is more of a smoke screen than truth.

I did, however, have one friend who worryingly bought herself a wedding dress and ring when she was single (unsuprisingly, she still is single). It did provide great entertainment though to hear about each of her Boyfriend's reactions when they were introduced to it :D

However, there are a few of us left who see neither a point to it or what pleasure can be gotten out of it. Sadly I feel we are a dying breed.

<_<<_<<_<

I made more money than my husband when we married. We were both young and really didn't have anything.

Some are but lets not forget there are some women who are financially independant and still single smile.gif

Be careful Chuz, you keep that attitude and woman might start to like you. ;):P:D

<_<<_<<_<

I made more money than my husband when we married. We were both young and really didn't have anything.

Be careful Chuz, you keep that attitude and woman might start to like you. ;):P:D

Funny you should say that, one might :) Still trying to work out why :lol: Glad she does though :)

In Short, a Marriage is for life, not just for your wedding day.

Oo-err missus

Reminds me of some women in the past Ive come across who are the "Cant survive without a boyfriend" type, being "locked" into a relationship via marriage is their dream come true!, I'm sure some of these women would marry jack the ripper if he proposed to them, so as to have their big day!

I pity the men in these things though!

:lol:

:ph34r:

I did, however, have one friend who worryingly bought herself a wedding dress and ring when she was single (unsuprisingly, she still is single). It did provide great entertainment though to hear about each of her Boyfriend's reactions when they were introduced to it

Hilarious!!

:lol::lol::lol:

'godsakes you guys!!!

did you not see my answer in the phobia thread :o

nar - would love the 20k partay. unfortunately i'm far too tight!! :lol:

'godsakes you guys!!!

did you not see my answer in the phobia thread :o

nar - would love the 20k partay. unfortunately i'm far too tight!! :lol:

I bet its crossed your mind once or twice in the past :)

Guest Winners and Losers

Me and Mr WAL STAY married because of property prices.

And for all you men saying women are just after money, my ex earned a pittance compared to me, but still managed to walk away with house!

Me and Mr WAL STAY married because of property prices.

And for all you men saying women are just after money, my ex earned a pittance compared to me, but still managed to walk away with house!

My Dad did 'well' out of his last marriage, he earned about 1/2 his ex's salary. They didn't have any kids, so when they divorced they split everything 50:50. I can tell you for certain he didn't pay for half of everything, nowhere near.

I feel a bit bad about my rant earlier, I'm afraid it is bore out of frustration with the marriage task force which seems to have set their sites on me at the moment. Hopefully, the fact that my brother has just moved his girlfriend into his house will soon mean the pressure is shifted to him.

I have tried to think of any blokes I know who have been 'keen' to get married and sadly I can only think of one. Also, his reasons were more to do with being able to live in Australia with his Australian Girlfriend (now wife) than dreaming about weddings. Strangely, I think men are generally only interested in weddings when it's their Daughter getting married (yes, my 'twice divorced' dad is part of that marriage taskforce).

Guest Winners and Losers

My Dad did 'well' out of his last marriage, he earned about 1/2 his ex's salary. They didn't have any kids, so when they divorced they split everything 50:50. I can tell you for certain he didn't pay for half of everything, nowhere near.

I feel a bit bad about my rant earlier, I'm afraid it is bore out of frustration with the marriage task force which seems to have set their sites on me at the moment. Hopefully, the fact that my brother has just moved his girlfriend into his house will soon mean the pressure is shifted to him.

I have tried to think of any blokes I know who have been 'keen' to get married and sadly I can only think of one. Also, his reasons were more to do with being able to live in Australia with his Australian Girlfriend (now wife) than dreaming about weddings. Strangely, I think men are generally only interested in weddings when it's their Daughter getting married (yes, my 'twice divorced' dad is part of that marriage taskforce).

Well, I am Australian and me and Mr WAL have lived in Australia. My ex did not get half. No, no,no,no. We had only just bought a second propery and had saved up the deposit. All he got was his half of the deposit. I kept the house that was worth the most and he had to start paying a mortgage (and keep a job!) all by his lonesome. There was no way he was ever gonna get 50%. All I lost was 4k, but he still got a house that he wouldnt have been able to on his own. It must have been hard having to hold down a job. :lol::lol:

Funny you should say that, one might :) Still trying to work out why :lol: Glad she does though :)

She is not here with me, Libby, and Hurley is she? ;);)

(anyone else watch Lost?)

:huh:

Well, I am Australian and me and Mr WAL have lived in Australia. My ex did not get half. No, no,no,no. We had only just bought a second propery and had saved up the deposit. All he got was his half of the deposit. I kept the house that was worth the most and he had to start paying a mortgage (and keep a job!) all by his lonesome. There was no way he was ever gonna get 50%. All I lost was 4k, but he still got a house that he wouldnt have been able to on his own. It must have been hard having to hold down a job. :lol::lol:

Hi WAL,

I'm glad things worked out (financially) well in your case, I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out with the marriage though. My Dad's situation was that he and his wife had been married 20 years, but didn't get divorced until they'd lived apart for about 6 or 7 years. Infact they only got divorced because my mum (the 1st wife) was hassling my dad about whether he had written a will (he hadn't), she was worried that if he died his estranged wife would automatically get all his wealth and my brother and I would get nothing (we really didn't care to be honest, but she had a point as my step mother never really took to us). Anyway, when they first split up, his estranged wife bought his half of the house from him, and I suspect that if it had gone through a solicitor, he probably wouldn't have got that much. But I think they wanted to make the split as quick, cheap and simple as possible, so they split everything 50:50. When they finally divorced, they did it using an internet form!

It's a sad business after 20 years together and it's definately left my Dad vowing never to marry again. Doesn't seem to stop him hassling me though!

LG

Guest Winners and Losers

How romantic!

Yes, it is a scandal how high property prices have robbed us of romance. Anyway, I'm over it. Lookin out for number one these days. Well, Mr WAL isnt bad in the sack too of course. ;)

I was 24 when I got married (my wife was a couple of months shy of her 29th birthday) and buying a house hadn't really crossed my mind at that point. I was as surprised as anyone that I got married so young but she wanted to, and I love her so had no reason not to really.

I don't know how much our wedding cost (didn't like to ask really) but it was closer to £2k than £20k that I do know. I think the hall for the reception cost about £200 to hire, DJ was £150 or something and my mother-in-law did all the catering with a bit of help from her family.

And, though I say it myself, it was the best wedding I've ever been to. No mucking about, no photographer at the reception ordering us about, just 100 or so people getting drunk and having a good time :).

Some are but lets not forget there are some women who are financially independant and still single :)

imagine that, plus looks and a sense of humour, now who in their right mind could resist that combination :D

imagine that, plus looks and a sense of humour, now who in their right mind could resist that combination :D

and if there smart too, well yup who could resist them, i couldn't :)

Guest Winners and Losers

and if there smart too, well yup who could resist them, i couldn't :)

It's hard, but I've found it's just a cross you have to bear. ;)

Someone say bear, yes I am a bear, I am a bear!