House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Keep Bumping Into People Who Have Recently Been

I keep bumping into people who have recently been made redundant - another 3 this week, 4 last week. Are others noticing the same?

V sad today as a lady I've known for many years was behaving rather 'out of character' so I eventually managed to speak to her on her own and she told me she'd just been given her marching orders - been there over 20 years and v good at her job :ph34r:

I keep bumping into people who have recently been made redundant - another 3 this week, 4 last week. Are others noticing the same?

stop going to jobclub then.

1st rule about jobclub.- never talk about jobclub.

Our company is going through a re-shuffle in the UK divisions.

A lot from our NEWCASTLE site (we have one in Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Durham, Cardiff) have been made redundant and we heard this week that we have a last chance with a new customer. If we dont produce the quality we wil not be here next year.

A lot of our problems stem from a competitive Eastern Europe. Thats why the group have bought in Poland and Russia :)

We are competing against CHEAPER LABOUR in eurozone. Everyone needs to watch their backs.

TB

V sad today as a lady I've known for many years was behaving rather 'out of character' so I eventually managed to speak to her on her own and she told me she'd just been given her marching orders - been there over 20 years and v good at her job :ph34r:

Seeing the same in my firm... wont tell you what we do but needless to say its a big company and some long term serving staff are being made redundant or leaving of their own accord due to too much work as natural wastage not being replenished (i.e. not enough new staff to fill vacancies).

Rising costs (i.e. real inflation and not CPI!) and inceased competition (i.e. lower margins) are really slashing into my industry and other large businesses.

I think that the flurry of recent Merger and Aquisitions activity going on at present (i.e. NTL Virgin) and rebranding (i.e. Dixons Currys.digital) are the last throw of the corporate dice in restoring declining profits.

Unless you work in Banking or Oil sectors its probably been a tough year with high street sales falling and people generally spending less.

- Pye (Property Speculation Ninja :ph34r: )

Channel 4 Forum

This guy has just completed on a house.

Same day as he is made redundant!

Not looking too good, as peoples advice about ASU cover is a joke.

Even if you took out ASU cover I don't think it covers against U (nemployment) for at least 3 months with most policies.

Haven't experienced this yet, although don't doubt there are variations across industries and regions.

In my field, I've seen sales increase massively this year and I'm still actively recruiting :)

Haven't experienced this yet, although don't doubt there are variations across industries and regions.

In my field, I've seen sales increase massively this year and I'm still actively recruiting :)

May I ask what "field" you're in?

May I ask what "field" you're in?

I work in defence; edit a well-known industry magazine.

Incidentally, while world-wide defence spending in general is growing (thank you Uncle Sam :) ) we are expecting a bit of a down-turn over the next few years.

I am recruiting all the time will need four folks for my Ealing office.

Debt recovery operatives upto 60k pa. Going to put adverts in the

local tabloids.

Ex army - marines, para or infantry especially sought.

60k !!

you can get that doing 4 month private security tours in iraq.

cant you do any better. is there a comany mazda included ?

or mondeo ?

Incidentally, while world-wide defence spending in general is growing (thank you Uncle Sam :) ) we are expecting a bit of a down-turn over the next few years.

Jane's then?

Guest boredwaiting

local tabloids.

I thought hired meat was cheaper than that.....

local tabloids.

A fair bit of scepticism about your claim to have an Ealing office already I see.

I think people are starting to see you for the fantasist you clearly are.

Which road or area is your Ealing office in?

Haven Green?

Northfields?

Castlebar?

South Ealing near Walpole or Lammas Park

Or maybe it's nearer Acton or Hanwell, or maybe Greenford (Ruislip Rd East perhaps) or Perivale (Coronation Rd possibly).

How many ethnic minorities do you employ in this very mixed area? Would they be Indian or West Indian.

My trouble and strife broke our old English teapot a few days ago and we set about finding a replacement that was not made in China. Eventually settled on a very nice 18/10 Stainless Steel jobby (at great expense) after seeing all the China pots were made in the land of the product's namesake. The new Stainless Steel teapot is now made in Portugal where, incidentally, our China is now made following the closure of most production at the Royal Worcester factory.

Jobs are rapidly dissappearing from this country and while we can borrow our way out of debt in the short term it cannot last. House prices must, in the end, relfect an ability to pay based on the ability to produce.

The UK now has the most expensive houses in the world in relation to incomes. We also have the second highest level of personal debt next to the US which leads us by only a few percentage points (11.1 Trillion dollars for a population in excess of 300 million compared with the UK debt of 1.2 trillion POUNDS for 60 million poor souls).

Yes. One of my neighbours has just been made redundant. Worked at the firm for about 15 years I think. I think the whole firm is folding from the sound of it.

There seems to be a lot of it about. A lot of people are being warned that it is a possibility too. On the other hand, my friends in the City are reporting good strength in the jobs market there. Some sectors doing well, others getting clobbered.

Car dealerships closing down round me too. Shops still with rolling sales. Still 50% off at the carpet shops etc. DIY shops still mysteriously offering huge discounts, despite trying to rush me into signing up for kitchens in January warning that the deals would end. Hmmmmm.

It's starting to feel kind of crashy.

local tabloids.

We might laugh but my local rag carried two large ads last week for debt collection people--one job was with a major firm of solicitors setting up a brand new department--a debt collection mill--as the numbers justify the relatiove low fee earning returns.

Don't forget, Gordon himself has given CAB 45 million to hire 500 extra debt counselors as reported on this forum yesterday.

Hope the sheeple soon start to smell the coffee before we get to 2 trillion pounds of personal debt!

you can get that doing 4 month private security tours in iraq.

However, people who are behind on their credit card payments or mortgage rarely try to shoot you or blow you up.

As for redundancies, been a lot going on around here...

Yep you cannot beat the good old "Military Industrial Complex" for hoovering up the tax dollars, in anycase if it wasn't spent on "Defence" [don't you just love how the spoken word is it's self corrupted] it would only be wasted on social budgets. That same corruption of the spoken word reminds me of one of my favourite forum posters "Justice" quick to spread false hoods, and goes absent when ask to substatuate said false hoods :lol::lol::lol: anyway I digress

The fall of the Soviet Empire that had served the MIC well since 1945 was indeed a shock to the system. What was needed was a more resilient enemy, one you could never conquer by taking out their capital city, one you could not defeat by crossing its borders, nope what you needed was Ta Ta Tatar ..........WORLD TERRORISM.

This this will enable you to spend Tax Dollars destroying weak Third World countries military and infrostructure, using the Military part of the Complex. Thus enabling the Industrial part of the Complex to pick up big contracts rebuilding said infrostructure of the vanquished state. And the Oil side of the Complex will get the said vanquished states resources profit. And the add hoc resultant attacks against the soft underbelly of the "Free Democracys" populations will mean even more spending for the security industry. Whilest at the same time, the threat to the Empire is in real terms negligible. So gentelmen we are agreed we go the World Terrorism route.

Right Miss Stracker, could you send the next applicant in please..........................Mr Bush will see you now Mr Bin Ladan, I take it you already know your way to the Oval Office. :D

Edited by Catch22

It's not started properly yet.

Companies would rather lay off people than increase their prices. I think this is beginning to change because costs cannot be kept low any longer. Metal and oil prices have not fed fully in. The BoE assume they have and of course the 2.0% CPI vindicates their stupidity.

The pressures for business are enormous. A lot of companies will have never seen a recession either. Business came to a standstill at the end of last year and the beginning of this one; yet still we get people out there buying up over-priced housing. We are short-sighted.

What jobs are the redundant folk going to do? If the lower paid jobs are being mopped up by transient european labour what is left?

Do you think there is any pattern to the types of jobs which are going?

My husband lost his job in manufacturing this year along with about 500 others and he's considering retraining in something different. By the looks of things there will be very few manufacturing jobs because they'll all be overseas or at least no security in manufacturing. He's an ex-serviceman so maybe debt collection is the way to go.

Seeing the same in my firm... wont tell you what we do but needless to say its a big company and some long term serving staff are being made redundant or leaving of their own accord due to too much work as natural wastage not being replenished (i.e. not enough new staff to fill vacancies).

Rising costs (i.e. real inflation and not CPI!) and inceased competition (i.e. lower margins) are really slashing into my industry and other large businesses.

I think that the flurry of recent Merger and Aquisitions activity going on at present (i.e. NTL Virgin) and rebranding (i.e. Dixons Currys.digital) are the last throw of the corporate dice in restoring declining profits.

Unless you work in Banking or Oil sectors its probably been a tough year with high street sales falling and people generally spending less.

- Pye (Property Speculation Ninja :ph34r: )

Yet the stock market marches relentlessly upwards.

Yet the stock market marches relentlessly upwards.

Of course it does: sacking half your employees and transferring their jobs to China increases profits.

But that's a one-off boost, and in the long term you run out of suckers to keep feeding money into the market, because they're all on the dole.